Know before you launch!

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Unfortunately some stereotypes exist for a reason...

This morning after departing LAS we overhead a GA pilot that launched out of SGU asking about flying over the Grand Canyon to center. The exchange started like this and didn't get much better...

"Hey there center, can I just overly the Grand Canyon? I thought it'd be on ma Garmin but it isn't, ain't there some special routes or VFR corridor I can do?"

Guess I could've been like that GoJet pilot in the other thread and keyed the mic to say something snarky :rolleyes:, but we just shook our heads and listened in amazement at his ignorance and center's patience. Kudos to the controller for being magnanimous.

So a little PSA for anyone flying into unfamiliar environs for the first time, do your research first and learn about any applicable rules or special operating aspects. By all means, ask questions as needed but at least be mildly informed for the good of us all.

Last edited:
It's hilarious how many times I hear tower at a class B or C airport tell a mainline aircraft "I need you to read back the runway sir" more than once.

Some airports are serious about that, while others are very relaxed. Then you have Midway with "clear to cross all the 31s on yankee..."

It's hilarious how many times I hear tower at a class B or C airport tell a mainline aircraft "I need you to read back the runway sir" more than once.

And then the pilot sounds super irritated.

When I grab a new ATIS I occasionally sarcastically point out “apparently we need to read back all hold short clearances...that’s new.”

But apparently...

And then the pilot sounds super irritated.

When I grab a new ATIS I occasionally sarcastically point out “apparently we need to read back all hold short clearances...that’s new.”

But apparently...

Or LAX's reminder to "use callsign with all read backs" or something to that effect. Makes me chuckle, until I hear flight after flight read back just their number.

I ask for UHF everywhere I go...and it's not because I have to. Sometimes I'll do VHF in the flight levels, but I have a choice not to listen to the malarkey.

I can’t wait until we have CPDLC domestically like Canada. Until then I’ll be happy that most of my flying is outside the US.

I remember *phoning* the LAS FSDO in '03 to have them walk me through the special vfr chart before I could fly up there from Phoenix...

Unfortunately some stereotypes exist for a reason...

This morning after departing LAS we overhead a GA pilot that launched out of SGU asking about flying over the Grand Canyon to center. The exchange started like this and didn't get much better...

"Hey there center, can I just overly the Grand Canyon? I thought it'd be on ma Garmin but it isn't, ain't there some special routes or VFR corridor I can do?"

Guess I could've been like that GoJet pilot in the other thread and keyed the mic to say something snarky :rolleyes:, but we just shook our heads and listened in amazement at his ignorance and center's patience. Kudos to the controller for being magnanimous.

So a little PSA for anyone flying into unfamiliar environs for the first time, do your research first and learn about any applicable rules or special operating aspects. By all means, ask questions as needed but at least be mildly informed for the good of us all.

Reading this made me think of the recent conversation that I had with a co-worker two weeks ago. That said flying over the Grand Canyon was illegal, because there is an Area 51 type super secret military testing facility there.

Being ORD based has ruined me and reading back the assigned runway on taxi instructions is something I have to consciously think about when I’m not there

I’m based in the northeast at an airport without one, about 65% of the time the initial goes like this...

US : “Approach N #### four thousand we have the weather at podunk request the visual”

App: “Roger #### let us know when you get the weather and say approach request.”

Perhaps because they didn’t hear whatever airport ATIS phonetic is current at their primary airport it doesn’t register?

And for goodness sakes please check in with the ATIS on initial call if you have it!

I’m based in the northeast at an airport without one, about 65% of the time the initial goes like this...

US : “Approach N #### four thousand we have the weather at podunk request the visual”

App: “Roger #### let us know when you get the weather and say approach request.”

Perhaps because they didn’t hear whatever airport ATIS phonetic is current at their primary airport it doesn’t register?

Probably just memorized that phraseology and spit it out without even thinking

Back