King Air Instructors

Hi John, quick question..
Do you have to have a type rating for the King Air family like you would on say the Lear or Citation ? Or can you get some block time to get initial training and then do a check out > endorsement ? Thanks..

Dan

Ok. Thanks... Have you heard of this place ? http://www.eaglejet.net/
Look at their King Air block prices... not bad per hour rates if your looking to get some block turbine or piston time after going to a "get all your ratings" type of school, or am I mis-reading it. Could you look through the site and let me know what you think? After reading through your website it looks like you have a busy schedule but yet I find that you have a lot of responses on this site, how do you find the extra time
smile.gif
Thanks again for all your other post respondings, it is making a difference on my desision making.

Dan

I have time because most of my work is right here at this computer. I take a 15 minute break here and there to check on the forums I participate in. This is by far the most active!

I checked out that eagle site. Very interesting. Let's look closely though. I will pick on the king air 90 program. You pay $9900 and you get 100 hrs of C90. $99/hr sounds great doesn't it? But read the fine print ... Yes you get airline training, but it looks like most of your time is going to be as an FO on charter flights. I wonder how much charter flying they do. If there are 50 FOs who gets to fly first? How long do you have to wait to build up that 100 hrs?

Might be good, or it might not. Like all these schools, it bears a second look. Remember, lots of companies make promises that are a little misleading. You have to expect this when essentially paying to be in a spot that you should be paid for.

Let me know what you find out and eventually decide. I'm sure everyone here will be interested in your findings!

Thanks John, Yes, I will find something one day very soon. Seems like the more I look the more I find more choices and more questions. A neverending quest for me . I will keep all informed.
ps. I may call the Eagle place and just see what that's about (actual flying time).

Dan

ps. BTW >> 200 hrs. PPL and 37 yrs young.

Yes, TAB does seem like a good program. Am concerned about the cost plus living costs on top of that . Then after sucessfully completing the program , with the industry the way it is, what do I do afterwards ? According to the other forums that I have read, chances are very slim on doing any kind of revenue flying unless I have a friend that knows somebody's friend's brother type of scenerio. Looks like I should look at getting CFI ratings ( after going to TAB, if I decide to do that) and then hope for the best after a couple of years, but geezz... I 'd have to borrow more money , so now we're looking at a total of approx. 75-80K+ to do this, and not to mention no 4 year degree is included with that. Then I got to thinking about going to one school and do the 200 hr multi and get all ratings then check out the Eagle place I mentioned and take the 100 hr.King Air course, the price here is far more cheaper than the other route.. have I confused anyone yet ? But whatever the case my be , I think it is safe to bet on getting CFI ratings to build time and gain valuable experience , who knows, I'll probably enjoy the heck out of teaching. Not trying to sound like I want to get things done overnight but I'm just trying to put together a plan that is of quality and economic and of course, wise. I don't mind paying back loans as long I am doing something that I got the loan for. I just want to to keep flying after completing the program from whichever school I choose. I understand that there is downtime after school while your're searching for job but it sure would suck to start paying back loans long before you start rev flying. But I realize that could easily happen...

Sorry to ramble on , I am just writing my thoughts....

Dan

Cost of Living in Florida is very low. I do a lot of traveling and I look certain indicators like gas prices and new home prices.

Sounds like you made a valid analyis of flight education prices though. This is an expensive hobby.

One thing, you don't need a college degree for airline pilot. I don't think (even) Delta has that requirement anymore.

On college:

I'm beginning to think that college may have been a 4 year waste of money and time. Don't get me wrong, I am a strong believer in education, but I have never used much of anything I learned in my liberal arts, freshwater school throughout my entire professional career as an engineer(!), pilot, public speaker or business owner. The only worthwhile courses were the music classes I took from Nick D'Angelo, the greatest band director I ever had the pleasure to work with.

I funded my Time Building as a CFI by doing one man band stuff at night, but honestly, I could have learned that stuff taking night courses and gone straight to the workforce.

I know this won't be popular, but most of my courses at college were trying to teach me a bunch of liberal trash. Psychology was interesting, but looking back I can see the "agenda" that was there lurking beneath the Child Psych syllabus.

Economics was a joke. Even the professor told us first day, "If I really knew anything about economics do you think I'd be working as a low paid college professor?" He was pretty funny, but most of his lessons were prefaced with, "I only know this by reading it from a book ..."

The math courses were awesome but not practical. I have never used Topology, Advanced Algebra or Vector Calculus, even as an engineer. I though Vector Calculus would be there, but I never saw it, even as an defense-aerospace engineer.

I'm starting to rethink this college deal.

I think the importance of college is to get your foot in the door at a non flying job if you need to. My wife's degree is in journalsim. She doesn't use anything she learned in school for her current job but would have never been offered the position without a degree.

Even though you might not apply many of the things you learn in college, I think the airlines need to see a college degree as proof that you can pass and succeed in a rigorous program. I think you do need a college degree for the airlines, because there is such a numerous amount of applicants that those with degrees are probably going to get hired more than those without degrees. I'm not disagreeing with you that the pay for college may be more money for some than what it is worth, but that's just my take on it from what I've heard from different pilots.

Hey John,

Thanks for your input as always. I plan on taking a weekend flight to MCO soon to visit a couple of schools mentioned earlier. Care to grab some lunch and share stories ? My treat of course...

Dan

Sure! I'll be doing my airline interview class July 29-30 if you're around then, too.

PM me for lunch info - with date and time.

Back