King Air Crash

At the risk of sounding stupid (although to have put themselves in this situation in the first place, how much stupider can they get?) why wouldn't you slowly reduce power on the outside wing if you don't have enough aileron authority. I know, close to the ground and differential thrust, but they put themselves in that situation to begin with, so...

At the risk of sounding stupid (although to have put themselves in this situation in the first place, how much stupider can they get?) why wouldn't you slowly reduce power on the outside wing if you don't have enough aileron authority. I know, close to the ground and differential thrust, but they put themselves in that situation to begin with, so...

Well, I mean, who knows. Maybe they suffered a control malfunction that just happened to coincide with deciding to buzz a drag strip at high speed. Anything is possible.

That said, if not, how can you conceivably screw that one up? I just can't get away from the notion that something else was in play, here. From my admittedly very limited experience in King Airs, you'd have to be so far past Vne that crap would be falling off before the ailerons would be totally ineffective. And it doesn't look to me like they even tried the rudder. 'Tis a puzzlement.

I still think they should give a medal to Tiresbald Helmutsun for his 500 yard dash, though.

Control malfunction or not, play with fire long enough, you're gonna get burned

Unfortunately it often takes someone else with them

I'm sorry, but the copilot had no say in this?

"The captain flew dangerously in the past"

Really? So the copilot just decided "well he wants to do it nothing I can do"

If that happened here, it is far from the first time lack of action towards a rogue PIC (notice I don't say "captain") has lead to death.

http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-summaries/AAR92-01S.pdf

wow..speechless.. the planets, moons, and stars were aligned for that survivor. I still can believe someone could survive that.. Anyone guess the speed they were going? 150-200??

Except, this is nothing new. See the famous B52 crash for details, but there are many more.

Politics, policy, employee position, grudges, small operator size, etc, can and do all play a part in determining how a captain can get away (until this happens) bad behavior. I think it is better in the past, but say in a 4 employee operation and a new hire FO, how much wriggle room there may be?

Couldn't believe anyone walked away when I first saw the video. Hell, still can't! I read on an aviation safety forum that the F/O stated the plane was in full working condition prior to the crash and the CA was showboating...but I don't have a link to verify.

Maybe rather then leveling the wings to climb out, he just tried to pull back on the yoke and panicked? If its true the airplane was flying fine, just bizarre they didn't throw in any rudder and level out of the turn well ahead of impact...

So he was celebrating the 12 year anniversary of his brush with death? I'm not a religious man, but I would not mock the aviation gods in this manner.

When I first watched this video on my phone, it looked like he was red-hot. After watching it full-screen, I think the camera angle and focal length might have added to the drama.

My little touch of "Gallows Humor" for the day:

"Buying this GoPro is going to rock!"

I don't mean to be preachy, but I guess I'm gonna, anyway. IF I ever hotdogged (and of course I didn't...and if I did, certainly not to that degree), it was with me and some stuff. What kind of jerk takes someone else along for his shot at 15 minutes of fame (followed by certificate revocation)? I swear, these are the same people who merge in to a mile-long line of cars at the last second. ME! It's all about ME, beautiful ME, admire ME! It engenders just a bit of the gag reflex.

Uh, also, if it turns out that this dude's silliness has been complained about before, who is training and checking the pilots up there at the North Pole?

Back