KGFK New Runway

ProudPilot

Aeronautics Geek
Ok Everyone, the new runways are due to start construction! The old english coulee has been moved far enough to start construction on 26R/8L possibly as soon as this thursday (through the grapevine). When construction does start,

35R/17L WILL BE CLOSED, for approximately 2 months.

I have no idea if 35C/17C will also start construction at the same time. You can see the current runway plan here:
http://www.gfkairport.com/images/news/fourthrunway.pdf

The new terminal will also begin final planning stages this fall. A rendering of the new terminal is due within the next few weeks. There has been a land use plan of it for quite a while, but costs and blueprints have not been approved yet. As far as I know it is a go however. Notice we really don't have a nice restaurant (I said nice, not ok) at the airport for the terminal side (I love wings cafe). As for charter operations, it'd be nice to have an extra gate handy, and we do get diverts now and again. So expect to see that within the next 2 years (cross my fingers).

Also check out that Columbia mall is planning to expand. If the roadways are improved, might be a good idea with all the Canadian visitors every weekend. Initial sketches can be found here:
http://grandforkslife.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-columbia-mall.html

If anyone is interested in starting a mini-golf/go-karting venture, let me know. Looks like Grand Forks is in another growth phase. For those freshman that want to say why expand?... look at the new businesses in town, not the ones on campus. There are quite a few new homes and new businesses without the normal accompaniment of entertainment and shopping. Canadians do pass through without stopping to go to MSP of FAR, maybe this will grab a few to stop here instead.

Bring the Love/Hate GFK replies!

Bring the Love/Hate GFK replies!

Oh boy, I could have a lot of fun with this thread. But I think I will just enjoy my beer and relax after flying a Dash 8 with BROKEN AIR CONDITIONING for 6 legs from 5:30am to 4:15pm in 85 degree humid NY/PA/VA/MD heat. :D Oh, then I had a 5.5 hour commute back home at the end of today. Yay for east to west coast commuting. :banghead:

Wow just in time. Finished my stage 70 today so I don't have to worry about the cluster**** that will occur when 35R/17L closes.

I guess when I get back theres gonna be Cessnas everywhere as well as a new runway.

Wow just in time. Finished my stage 70 today so I don't have to worry about the cluster**** that will occur when 35R/17L closes.

I guess when I get back theres gonna be Cessnas everywhere as well as a new runway.
It won't be that bad... at least it's summer!

in seriousness though, that looks like a few extra dollars of taxi time out to those runways.....getting to 35L from charlie ramp is already bad enough....

and a 1900 foot runway? uhm, ive seen plenty of occassions when certain pilots definitely NEEDED all 3900' on 35R.... that sounds like it could be a recipe for trouble....and in the winter???? um even a proficient pilot might find that pretty short with icy/patchy conditions.....and its awfully close to 35R... ugh, i dunno. looks like a cluster to me.

wait i thought we already had DakotaKarts™ ???

I had so much fun at DakotaKarts™ on Demers Ave. I hear they're really expanding with all the growth of Grand Forks. They just opened a new sushi bar inside the race area so you can watch go-carts race while eating sushi. :rawk: Perhaps I should move back to Grand Forks from San Diego?

Glad to hear that some improvments are coming to GFK, but a 1,900' runway? You couldn't use all three 35's at the same time, anyway. Are they just trying to get helicopters away from doing taxiway takeoffs? I don't get the point...

Anyway, what is all this talk about Cessnas?

Guys Guys, listen up.

If you haven't done the C1 challenge yet... well, grow some courage!

Alright, j/k, but seriously the 1900' runway is probably NOT for fixed wing. Anyone notice all those helicopters sitting around, we'll we're getting more of them, and they need some asphalt of their own. Also notice where the C runway is, it's just about 17L/35R is anyways, there isn't a chance for parallel approaches to that.

Now there's been some rumors going around of a possible ILS to the second runway, as far as I know that is rumor right now. It would be nice, but every approach to that ILS would be some special practice approach as it's too close for close parallels. If you look at the regs though, the fleet is capable of close parallels. Just not the runways.

As for a new terminal, over the last decade we've had 3 airlines look at flying to GFK, but the issues with getting a gate were enough to not start service as our gate schedule did not coincide with their aircraft availability. NWA does like being the only ones up here, but the baggage, ticketing and security needs an upgrade.

As far as the old terminal, I know the plan is to take it down. Possibly put up new hangars and give more parking space to UND Aerospace. We at UND may buy that land for new Air China's that may be coming either to GFK or FAR. Nobody is sure yet what's happening.

I'll give an update once the terminal plans come out. Look for the new FBO to be finished, I believe, in the next 2 months.

Anyway, what is all this talk about Cessnas?

Well Evan, Piper has informed us that they are stopping production on the warriors, arrows and seminoles and we are unable to order anymore. If the orders have already been placed, they will deliver those, but no more than that.

So, we have a fleet, without WAAS, weather data is getting cheaper, and we have a mixed fleet of 6pack and glass, but with no intermixed training (I do think every 102 should be 6 pack, but the world is a changing and gotta be able to adapt).

So, diamond really wanted us to take the DA40, but if you're over 5'7", forget about it. It also flies like a family plane, not a training aircraft. It doesn't like hard landings, or improper flares.

Looked at a few other mfg, but they couldn't produce enough at the right time, price was wrong, or the aircraft just, well, sucked. :yeahthat:

So, we talked to cessna, they made an offer that was reasonable, and since they DO do spins, it was an upgrade. Plus G1000 is awesome, but I can tell you right now what the problem will be. No one knows how to use rudder up here! Oh my are eight-on-pylons going to suddenly stink!

That's all I know, I don't know how many, what courses, or what the deal was. I do know that I enjoy flying both the piper and cessna fleet, and both have their positives and negatives.

I heard that 35C will be full stop only. Might just be a rumor though.

What's this about DakotaKarts??? That sounds fun. More fun in GFK is always welcome. :drool:

That 35C/17C runway is a joke! Are you guys going to shoot PRM approaches to 35C/35R? LOL! Also, what is that big green building where FedEx is? Is that the new passenger terminal?

Yeah...even though a warrior/cessna/whatever can land just fine on a 1,900ft runway I don't see UND letting people use it. A 2nd east/west runway makes sense, but not that little dinky thing.

Back