KGFK New Runway

It looks like Grand Forks is expecting some growth! I got to checkout the new Grand Forks Police Department Training Center and the new Fire Station just West of I-29 near L&M today, it's pretty sweet. It's not open yet but should be soon, I got a nice tour of it from the officer I was riding with tonight. It would have made more sense to me to put it on the southside of town because for some reason Grand Forks just will not expand west of I-29. It only expands South!

Oh boy, I could have a lot of fun with this thread. But I think I will just enjoy my beer and relax after flying a Dash 8 with BROKEN AIR CONDITIONING for 6 legs from 5:30am to 4:15pm in 85 degree humid NY/PA/VA/MD heat. :D Oh, then I had a 5.5 hour commute back home at the end of today. Yay for east to west coast commuting. :banghead:

You think thats bad?! Try my job for a day dude..... 300 ft off the deck in a ragged out C172 in the Texas heat.... you are lucky J.... how dare you complain.....:sarcasm:

You gotta roll down this way if you get some time off Jace. It is super surreal.

B

Yeah...even though a warrior/cessna/whatever can land just fine on a 1,900ft runway I don't see UND letting people use it. A 2nd east/west runway makes sense, but not that little dinky thing.

if they won't even let you take an intersection on 35L no chance.

interesting to see the town growing.

From the information that I got in the tower is that the new 27L/9R will be around 3300 feet long.

The 35C plans have been thrown away. FAA HQ didn't like the idea of that short of a runway even though it would have been strictly used for copters only. But, we will be able to use the new north/south taxiway the same way if we did have 35C. So this aleivates some of the problems we have with the copters so close to the runways now.

Runway 26 will be re-painted sometime this summer as 27R/9L even though the new 27L/9R is still being built. I'm not a big fan of that, but we'll save for another day. It should take 3 days or less from what I'm told to re-paint.

Same with north/south parallels will be repainted 36 L+R sometime soon.

I haven't heard the rumor of an ILS on the current 26 yet. It'd probably be a good idea though because once the new runway is built we are going to have some pretty strict procedures on who can shoot the approaches on 36L or 17R since it will be conflicting with two traffic patterns when we are on east/west traffic. So basically you guys will be stuck with the GPS approach.

If I ran the FAA's checkbook I'd slap a few extra thousand feet on the current 26 so NWA, FDX and the biz jets can land/takeoff when we get those strong winds out of the west and northwest. Plus it would lead to a safer and more efficent operation which is always the ultimate goal. It's always interesting to see them land with a stiff 20-30 knot direct crosswind. I do think the new runway will help, but time will tell.

That's about the latest I can think of now from all the new construction. I'm sure i'll think of more later.....

Back