Kevin Smith is complaining about the airlines again

Ajax

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This time he didn't make it on his flight because he wasn't at the gate on time, even though he was at the airport an hour early.

Monday 6 December 2010 @ 2:00 pm
Dear Virgin America,

I’m gonna do this carefully because I’ve already got some… history, shall we say… with another airline.

My wife Jennifer, my friend Jason Mewes and I were booked on VX 409, JFK to LAX today, December 6th, 11:45am.

So as not to potentially hinder the boarding/departure process, we arrived at the airport over an hour ahead of BOARDING time. We checked our luggage – 3 bags in total, 2 of which belonged to my wife.

With over an hour to kill in the very-empty-in-the-early-hours Terminal 4, we settled in a pre-boarding lounge until it was time to head to the gate. To further insure that we wouldn’t hinder the boarding process, we even took advantage of a concierge service – an airport liaison whose job it is to get travelers on their planes on time. Dorothy, the liaison, kept us informed as to when we could go to the gate.

We went through TSA with no issues, collected our things, and headed to gate B25. Boarding started at 11:15, and we arrived at the gate at 11:35 – a full ten minutes before scheduled departure. But as we reached the gate, we saw a man closing the door. Since we were a good 50 feet or more from the actual door, Mewes called out to the man, letting him know there were three more. The man looked at us and continued closing the door. We told him we were on the flight and he told us it was too late; the flight was closed. It was 11:36. We told him we had first class tickets. The lone attendant said that didn’t matter. It was still over five minutes ’til the scheduled departure.

We pleaded with Manny (the unfriendly face of Virgin America JFK working the gate), pointing out the remaining time (there were still 8 minutes before scheduled departure), and pointing out that the jetway was still attached to the plane. Flying as much as I do (usually up at the front of the plane), I know that the jetway only gets pulled back ONCE THE PLANE DOOR IS SECURELY CLOSED. As we tried to get Manny to realize our bags were under the plane and we’d been checked in for an hour, the jetway stayed in place. The plane wouldn’t pull back from the gate for another 15 minutes (if you want, I can show you the picture we took of the jetway still attached, with Mewes’ phone displaying the time in the foreground; yes, I took that picture; sadly, that’s the world we live in now).

Manny was joined by Erwin, who identified himself as the person in charge. I pointed out - EXTREMELY calmly - that we’d checked in an hour prior and that our bags were on the plane. He said it didn’t matter, as we weren’t at the gate when they shut the door. We told him we were with sight of the gate and that Manny could’ve held the door – particularly because departure wasn’t for another nearly ten minutes at that point. He said he’d called for us over the p.a. system, but my wife’s name is SCHWALBACH - you say a name THAT distinctive over a loudspeaker, at least two people in an airport are gonna turn their heads: me & Jen Schwalbach. And, the fact that we were going through security mere yards from the actual gate, and we’d heard the last call announcement for the previous San Francisco flight… well, without calling anybody a liar, it’s just REALLY hard to believe that p.a. call was actually made. I didn’t hear my name over the loudspeaker. Jennifer Schwalbach didn’t hear her name. Jason Mewes didn’t hear his name. Dorothy, the concierge service lady, didn’t hear any of our names. Four independent sets of ears, mere yards from the origin point of the alleged p.a. call failed to hear the call; what are the chances we’re all stone cold deaf?

But like I said: I’ve been through it with an airline before. I knew this was a losing battle-for-reason; I’ve dealt with petty, per-hour tyrants who abuse their authority and assume nobody further up the corporate ladder is ever gonna hear about how they represented their employers in the worst possible light. Sometimes, y’all put folks up front who give your company a bad name. Keeping me off my flight even though I was checked in an hour prior and my baggage was already on board isn’t even the big slap in the face though; that came next.

I told them, in a VERY polite manner, that I didn’t care about making the plane (even though it meant we’d be missing our kid’s first basketball game at school – a fact I didn’t share with them because if Manny and Erwin couldn’t give a **** about me, their customer, what chance did Harley have of finding any compassion); all I cared about was my wife’s luggage…

Which was under the plane…

And contained her medication.

She needed to take it eight hours from her last dosage. Rather than put it in her carry-on, she put it in her bag that went under the plane. Since we were gonna be home in six hours, what did it matter? But now? In a world where the next flight wouldn’t get us to our bags/her medication for NINE hours, naturally, I was concerned with getting our bags off the plane.

But Erwin said that wasn’t possible. So did Manny. They didn’t even TRY to call someone about getting the bags off. “They can’t do that,” was all I got. Dorothy, the concierge, said in her 27 years working with all the airlines, she’d never seen anything like it.

And still, the plane sat right there at the, jetway still attached. Our bags could’ve EASILY been removed in the time that the jet remained parked at the gate (or we could’ve been permitted to board). And even though I CALMLY explained three times that my wife would need her medication based on the delay they were creating, neither Manny nor Erwin would do anything to help about the bags - or getting us on a plane we were booked on/had tickets for/were in the terminal an hour ahead of schedule to take.

Manny wouldn’t give me his last name; he said he didn’t have to. I said it was unfair, as he had my name (and home address!); he insisted two more times that he didn’t have to furnish me with his last name (Erwin did, however). The pair then looked to book us on the next flight out – which had no first class available.

It didn’t matter: at that point, I knew I’d never spend another dime on anything Virgin-related ever again (which sucks, as I’m a huge fan of your trains in England and your cross-Atlantic flight). It’s not that your airline sucks: you guys are actually a top-notch operation, about whom I literally said to my wife a mere five days ago while we were en route to the east cost “Virgin does it right, man. Such a great airline…”

You are a great airline – but the wife and I will be avoiding you like the plague from now on. As will Mewes - who must’ve smoked an entire pack of cigarettes outside afterwards to calm down. As will anyone in my immediate and extended family. As will any of the cast/crew I’ve gotta fly around the country (or out of it) for productions.

I don’t fault you for the petty, lazy, unhelpful behavior of your JFK terminal 4/gate B25 desk crew. But if that’s the caliber of customer service/customer satisfaction you’d like to be known for, then it doesn’t matter if you’ve got free wifi on the plane and a kickass, in-flight movie selection. It all starts at that check-in desk; and what started there today was the end of our business relationship.

And you WANT me as a customer, man: I’m a first class fiend and I travel TONS. But this **** may have even put me off Virgin Atlantic, too.

A one-time booster who feels ****ed over,

Kevin Smith
Loudmouth of the Skies

http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=398

Maybe I'm missing something here, but while he was in the airport he wasn't at the gate, I don't expect a plane to wait for me just because I'm in the building. He speaks about his concierge who is apparently the only one with him that needs to get them to the gate on time, but anyone in their party could have easily looked at the time and though "Gee, maybe we should be heading to the gate."

I don't fly for an airline, so maybe you guys can give your thoughts on this. I don't have any sympathy for him.

I only read about a third.

People love to pontificate about procedures which they really don't understand. Here's the trick, if a flight is leaving at 12, it needs to have the doors closed and in the process of pushing back. If it's 11:59 and they're still boarding, chances are they're not going to be able to have the doors closed by 12 and you get put on the "OMGZ, YUR FLIGHTS ARE LATES!!" list at the DOT.

If his flight was scheduled for 11:45, he needs to be in the gate area at 11:15.

I've flown a lot of celebs and they're generally among the first boarded. Hell, if Leo DiCaprio (with a major movie out) can be on time, Kevin Smith of Jersey Girl fame certainly can too.

And I'm a Kevin Smith fan!

If I were ever cast as an extra in a Kevin Smith film, I'd show up 50 ft from my spot right as he is about to yell action... then right a letter to paramount when he kicks me off the set, because I was within ear shot of him when I was supposed to be there.

"whatever" is about the emotion from me on this one.

You know, he essentially Doug Taylor'd himself off the jumpseat! :)

Follow the rules, get on the flight, enjoy snack mix.

Do not follow the rules, don't get on the flight, commence bitching.

I was refused boarding to an earlier flight last week out of IAD because the flight was "departed" almost 10 minutes before departure time. It was an earlier flight than what I was booked on, and I'd had to mad-dash to get to the gate, so really I have nothing to complain about since it was not my scheduled flight. That being said I have a really, really, really difficult time (speaking generally and not necessarily about this particular flight that I didn't get on) with the agents closing flights and refusing boarding 10 minutes before the flight's departure time. I know the paranoia of "late" comes from above, and they get "in trouble" in their flight goes out late, but it just seems to me that if departure time is 4:50 then that means the flight closes out at 4:50, not 4:40, while the agent stands in the jetbridge staring off into space for the next 10 minutes. Good customer service (of letting people board their flight within 10 minutes of departure time) has taken a backseat to the "ZOMG I CAN'T BE LATE! NO BOARDING FOR YOU!!!" attitude.

As for this particular situation, yes, he SHOULD have spent more time at the gate, and less time in the airport lounge. What really gets me though is the medication in the checked luggage thing. It is common sense to never, ever and I mean NEVER put medication that you are going to need within the next 2-3 days in checked luggage. Period. I don't care if you're not changing planes (non-stop flight), or if you're going "home" or whatever. Medication NEEDS to stay on your person. There is no excuse for him having a tantrum about his wife's medication, because that should never have been packed in checked luggage to begin with. Luggage can get lost, even when only checking in for a non-stop flight, luggage can get destroyed, flights can get extremely delayed... etc. He gains no sympathy from me at all for the medication issue.

Amber, not that I disagree with you in theory but the pressure to be 'ontime' is crazy now. I get a phone call from a CP if we are a minute late often times. And for us that means we need to be rolling back off the gate at departure time. It can take 3 or 4 minutes to run the after door closed checklist and get a push clearance so having the aircraft door closed 5 prior (which means closing the jetway door 10 prior) is pretty important.

Sometimes, a little common sense goes a long way. Kevin Smith should be there on time and the person closing the door could have left it open for 30 more seconds to let them in.

Sometimes, a little common sense goes a long way. Kevin Smith should be there on time and the person closing the door could have left it open for 30 more seconds to let them in.

But if we have rule breakers then everyone will break the rules!! People jay walking, people with more than 20 items in the express isle, dogs working together with cats. End of the world stuff.

It is common sense to never, ever and I mean NEVER put medication that you are going to need within the next 2-3 days in checked luggage. Period. .

There was even a sign I happened to notice at TUS last week that said something to the effect of "always put medication and keys in carry-on baggage."

But if we have rule breakers then everyone will break the rules!! People jay walking, people with more than 20 items in the express isle, dogs working together with cats. End of the world stuff.

This annoys me to no end. While I am a Kevin Smith fan, cutting it close has its risks.

Yeah although I do understand his frustration he really has no leg to stand on. I do think these accounts are going to be more public as we go forward in our new "social" world. Be prepared to see more complaints and more demands. Whoever serves the customer the best wins and everything else is nonsense. People expect a lot these days.

Honestly I just wish one airline would experiment with treating people like they have an option. We've gotten into this cattle car mentality where we're all being herded along. Not fun. Bring back the fun of flying, the adventure.

Yeah although I do understand his frustration he really has no leg to stand on. I do think these accounts are going to be more public as we go forward in our new "social" world. Be prepared to see more complaints and more demands. Whoever serves the customer the best wins and everything else is nonsense.

I don't think so. Other than "my WIFI doesn't work!" no one really complains about anything new in the airline industry. We have heard it all, and the general public has heard a majority of it as well.

Semi-related question... back when I was doing time with JetBlue airport ops at SEA, the departure time was registered when the parking brake was lifted. If we were cutting it close, so long as the jetbridge/airstairs were pulled, the flight deck would usually do us a favor and take it off for us. Is that the case for all carriers? We only flew the A320 there, if that makes a difference.

Anyway, reason I ask is that if we knew someone had checked in and didn't seem to be the type to be busy getting hammered in the bar a few gates down, we'd try to keep the door open till the bitter end. The parking brake timer gave us a couple extra minutes, since most of the pilots who came through had no problem doing the last stuff while standing on the brake. Just curious if that was commonplace.

The parking brake usually triggers the out time for airlines whose airplanes are equipped with ACARS. However, on some, it's triggered by wheel movement, I think. Smaller airlines which don't have ACARS verbally call their out time over the radio where it's recorded by a company operations person. These smaller airlines are usually always on time :)

As an ex-commuter I usually had good luck with agents keeping the door open until 5 minutes or so until scheduled departure. Sometimes it saved you from having to spend an extra night in your domicile, away from home. I sympathize with people who get held up in a massive security line or some other messed up situation who get shafted when an agent decides to close up 15 early. I don't sympathize if someone is trying to catch one extra inning of that cubs game at the bar before heading to the gate. It sounds like Kevin Smith falls into the latter category, unfortunately. Priorities people, priorities.

What I wonder about is this "concierge" service... If it's specifically the concierge's job to herd passengers to flights on-time, she really dropped the ball on this one. If it were me, that's what I'd be most peeved about. The stuff at the gate is normal airport silliness. The concierge (with, apparently, 27 years of experience), should have known better than to get her charges to the gate with so little wiggle room.

ZOMG0rz fat guy don't like plane miss ST00PID lamerz lol forum.

Sorry, just trying to get the forum on the way towards being another media comments section. I figure we're already halfway there, so might as well help with the last push.

I'd be pissed if I were him.

Amber, not that I disagree with you in theory but the pressure to be 'ontime' is crazy now. I get a phone call from a CP if we are a minute late often times. And for us that means we need to be rolling back off the gate at departure time. It can take 3 or 4 minutes to run the after door closed checklist and get a push clearance so having the aircraft door closed 5 prior (which means closing the jetway door 10 prior) is pretty important.

Then I propose a published "Door Closing Time", in addition to the "Departure Time". I do get how the airlines are beating their employees over the head about ONTIME ONTIME ONTIME ONTIME ONTIME, so if it is absolutely imperative that the door be closed 10 minutes to departure time, then I think the airlines need to do a better job of getting it across to the pax that departure time isn't really the time that they can no longer board. Let's publish a "Door Closing Time", to help get the word out.

Back