KATL low pass.

grchase90

That's assistant to the Chief!
Anybody see a Diamond 20 on 26L at KATL around 12:15 this morning? It was definitely the highlight of my student's long night cross country. Much thanks goes out to ATL approach and tower.

When I was an instrument student, my instructor took me to ATL at 2am and we did ILSs. Appr and TWR were awesome. Last approach on 26R he gave us a left turn to 090 at 400ft. We went right over the concourses at 1000ft. It was awesome.

A big thing to do here in NY is do do the unhappy trio all in one night, still a few hundred for a single... But worth it lol

They charge you to do a touch and go? Even ATL didn't do that. What a pile!

Asking tower controllers I'm friendly with during a visit up there the other day, I was told even in the middle of the night a touch and go at SFO would lead to a $100 landing fee. :(

Guess its really frowned upon. Still a pile of bull if ATL of all places doesn't charge.

It's a rarity to see small GA at ATL even in the middle of the night, at least on the north side. The only GA we usually see are charter flights to take mechanics and parts on road trips. Usually a B-200 KingAir or Lear 35 or they're heading to Landmark.

Way back in 2002, I was doing some late night aerial survey over NYC in a Duchess. Long story short, I had to call a ground contact to switch some ground equipment to continue my survey flight. Even with a sturdy Nokia that often, amazingly worked in flight, I could not get a hold of this guy to save my life. I explained my situation to ATC and they suggest I land at JFK to make the call.

I did land at JFK in my puny little Duchess! Basically landed, stopped somewhere on the huge runway and made my call right there. Tower was so quiet they told me "You can just stay on the runway and make your call if you want. Then take off again when you're ready to go." Which is exactly what I did. Pretty cool memory for a brand new commercial pilot at my first job. Needless to say, that entry has a large asterisk next to it in my logbook.

I've gone into ATL about 10 times GA...first time in a 172SP, that exciting...120kts all the way to about a 1/2 mile final and roll it on, right turn into at the time, Mercury Air Center.

Last time I flew GA in there, we stopped and taxied back to the runway...didn't get charged for the landing, which was awesome.

Here's a $150 takeoff!

IMG_2272_zps02e704c6.jpg

IMG_2273_zpsd89247a6.jpg

Way back in 2002, I was doing some late night aerial survey over NYC in a Duchess. Long story short, I had to call a ground contact to switch some ground equipment to continue my survey flight. Even with a sturdy Nokia that often, amazingly worked in flight, I could not get a hold of this guy to save my life. I explained my situation to ATC and they suggest I land at JFK to make the call.

I did land at JFK in my puny little Duchess! Basically landed, stopped somewhere on the huge runway and made my call right there. Tower was so quiet they told me "You can just stay on the runway and make your call if you want. Then take off again when you're ready to go." Which is exactly what I did. Pretty cool memory for a brand new commercial pilot at my first job. Needless to say, that entry has a large asterisk next to it in my logbook.

Mar-Tech?

A big thing to do here in NY is do do the unhappy trio all in one night, still a few hundred for a single... But worth it lol
Asking tower controllers I'm friendly with during a visit up there the other day, I was told even in the middle of the night a touch and go at SFO would lead to a $100 landing fee. :(

Guess its really frowned upon. Still a pile of bull if ATL of all places doesn't charge.

You just have to get creative.... Request the option! Where is the proof you actually landed? A current co-worker of mine told me he successfully avoided landing fees at SEA with this method.

Here's a $150 takeoff!

IMG_2272_zps02e704c6.jpg

IMG_2273_zpsd89247a6.jpg

I also had the good fortune to fly a Bonanza into LAX to deliver some logbooks for a Falcon 2000 when I was in aircraft sales. That one cost our customer $100 for the landing fee, but that was a pittance compared to the purchase price on the Falcon. Taxiing out between several heavies in the dark was an experience. I've never felt so tiny!

Ha! Close! It was Flight Trac at the time, but we got bought out by Mar Tech shortly after. I flew with them many more hours, mostly in the T210. Great experience for my first flying job.

Nice. I worked for them from late '06 to early '07. Had lots of fun.

Nice. I worked for them from late '06 to early '07. Had lots of fun.

Yeah, good fun. I have more time in 8465L than any other tail number. I still see it on occasion. Now it has some weird pod on the belly. You know anything about that?

Back