Just... Wow

From the article:

So Brollini, who was then a military officer in charge of recruiting, instructed his travel department to never use United again. His decision cost the airline anywhere from 250 to 300 roundtrip tickets before Brollini retired. “I conservatively estimate I lost them the potential at $150,000 plus in business,” he adds.

I'm not quite buying this story. Airlines bid on government contracts for particular routes through the General Services Administration (GSA). When travelling on military orders, I have to use the airline that bid the route I need to fly. Neither myself nor the 'travel department' really have much say in the matter.

Yeah, does he remember that the angry mob that surrounded the crew in MIA cancelled the flight? That's not winning anything, or exacting any "revenge" on the airline, that made all the pax not get where they were going!

There’s no denying that airlines are creating an effective system designed for the sole purpose of removing money from your wallet.
:laff:

... do you think airlines will lift these onerous fees when fuel is cheaper? (Answer: No. These fees have almost nothing to do with higher fuel costs.)

:rolleyes:

Wow. Is this guy for real?

:banghead:

Yeah - you'll get a ride . . . straight off of the airplane.

I don't have any patience for dick-head passengers, especially the self-righteous kind. You want service? With a smile? Chill the #### out.

You want to be an idiot and an #######. . .you can take your over sized carry-on and walk your happy ass right back out the door you came in. Peace.

Until we rid ourselves of the passengers who think they deserve a gold platter and first class service for the same price as a greyhound ticket, we won't rid ourselves of these issues that will continue.

As said by a member on another forum:

Air transportation is premium transportation.
"Premium" costs more than "regular".

We need "Premium" customers, not "Regular" customers. Hopefully high fuel costs will allow the airlines to seek the customers they desire - with perhaps the ability to offer services that'll recognize the "Premium" customers.

:banghead:

Yeah - you'll get a ride . . . straight off of the airplane.

I don't have any patience for dick-head passengers, especially the self-righteous kind. You want service? With a smile? Chill the #### out.

You want to be an idiot and an #######. . .you can take your over sized carry-on and walk your happy ass right back out the door you came in. Peace.

Until we rid ourselves of the passengers who think they deserve a gold platter and first class service for the same price as a greyhound ticket, we won't rid ourselves of these issues that will continue.

As said by a member on another forum:

We need "Premium" customers, not "Regular" customers. Hopefully high fuel costs will allow the airlines to seek the customers they desire.

OMG, there's not enough :yeahthat: 's to say how I feel!

Well said!!!

:laff:

On my commute home today there was this fat trailer park lady sitting one row behind me. As we arrived at the gate she gets on her Wal-Mart prepaid cell phone and proceeds to call her fellow trailer park buddy whom was apparently traveling on another airline. So there I and everyone else within 20 rows were, listening to her conversation with her idiot friend. Apparently her idiot friend’s flight was 3 hours late. Mrs. Loudmouth sitting behind from me advises her friend this is crap and she should write letters and try to get her money back. I was fighting with everything I had not to turn around and slap her until she was unconscious.
This moron must have confused her friend’s airline with Dominos pizza. I never did hear her say why her friend’s plane was late. If she was anywhere near the New York area Sunday I have a pretty good idea why.

I am so sick of listening to a$5 bags complain about being 30 minutes late or even an hour or two. I swear these people think the airlines conspire against them to make their lives miserable. If you are going somewhere so important that you can't afford to be a few minutes late, then perhaps you should leave sooner, or take the bus.

I wanna fly cargo.

Watch the difference between how business travelers act and the once or twice a year Joe Twelvepacks.

If a business traveler has a meeting they need to be at, they fly out the day before. It's better to be there and get a good night's sleep and get prepped for the meeting. I've been there, done that hundreds of times.

Only a total doofus would say, yeah, why not, I'll just fly in the morning of the meeting. Nothing could go wrong.

On the other hand, Joe Twelvepack will cut things so close that anything being slightly off will kill him. And then he'll miss his cousin's wedding.

I remember a few years ago some woman decided she was so important she'd cut to the front of the line. I told her, you know, the line starts back there.

She said, but, but, but, I need to get to Washington.

And I said, so do the rest of us. The line starts back there.

Oh, but I'm a frequent flyer.

Yeah? What color is your card?

Blue.

Mine's gold. Get in line.

On my commute home today there was this fat trailer park lady sitting one row behind me. As we arrived at the gate she gets on her Wal-Mart prepaid cell phone and proceeds to call her fellow trailer park buddy whom was apparently traveling on another airline. So there I and everyone else within 20 rows were, listening to her conversation with her idiot friend. Apparently her idiot friend’s flight was 3 hours late. Mrs. Loudmouth sitting behind from me advises her friend this is crap and she should write letters and try to get her money back. I was fighting with everything I had not to turn around and slap her until she was unconscious.
This moron must have confused her friend’s airline with Dominos pizza. I never did hear her say why her friend’s plane was late. If she was anywhere near the New York area Sunday I have a pretty good idea why.

I am so sick of listening to a$5 bags complain about being 30 minutes late or even an hour or two. I swear these people think the airlines conspire against them to make their lives miserable. If you are going somewhere so important that you can't afford to be a few minutes late, then perhaps you should leave sooner, or take the bus.

I wanna fly cargo.

I almost spit my gatorade everywhere :rotfl:

My dad just last week came and visited me in Indiana from Florida. He bought the ticlet 3 days before his flight on a legacy carrier. Guess how much he paid in these "troubled times"..... $206 round-trip, taxes and fees included. Thats $103 each way after taxes people. The GREYHOUND.... let me repeat that..... THE GREYHOUND was going to be something like $75 more expensive had he bought it at the same time. I looked it up to prove a point to him and my mom about dirt cheap airfare. But, lets pass on the cost to the employees by doubling the cost of a buddy pass shall we....

Can't you argue that these extra fees will ultimately provide the traveler with better service? These fees are all about more cash on hand to the company instead of in the hands of creditors. More cash on hand provides more opportunity for reinvestment, training, and growth.

Can't you argue that these extra fees will ultimately provide the traveler with better service? These fees are all about more cash on hand to the company instead of in the hands of creditors. More cash on hand provides more opportunity for reinvestment, training, and growth.

I doubt the $15-$25 first bag fee really improves service for anyone, does it? I mean, it only encourages more people to cram more crap into their carry on bags and use more space in the overhead bins. Just because you charge more doesn't mean you make more if that's all you do....that whole supply and demand thing. With that said, you have to cover your costs to survive, and that means cutting capacity (supply) so that only the business travellers (and liesure travellers willing to pay those kind of fares) will be able to afford an airline ticket. In other words, make it so that if you're on a U or T fare, there won't be a seat on the plane for you because it's been taken by someone on a Y or B fare. Once that's done, treat the customer right by not charging all these extra 'nickel and dime' fees and actually trying to earn and retain his business through a quality product and customer service. Sorry that average Joe Vacationer will no longer be able to afford a ticket, but when the revenue from your seat fails to cover the cost of moving your bum from A to B, then your seat need needs to be eliminated. That's just the reality of the increased costs of doing business, and more carriers will go bankrupt until they figure this out (and thus naturally capacity will be cut to appropriate levels and the market will have corrected itself).

I quit reading his article after "sabotage" the system. Seriously...is this news in msnbc's eyes?

This guy sounds like his flight was delayed and now he needs to print a story on it to get "revenge" on the airlines...whatever guy.

Seriously...is this news in msnbc's eyes?

Nope. It's not news in their eyes, it's a column. Columns are opinion pieces and are not required to be fair or founded by facts. This is the same thing as as a Dear Abby piece or 95% of most cable news programming.

I almost spit my gatorade everywhere :rotfl:

My dad just last week came and visited me in Indiana from Florida. He bought the ticlet 3 days before his flight on a legacy carrier. Guess how much he paid in these "troubled times"..... $206 round-trip, taxes and fees included. Thats $103 each way after taxes people. The GREYHOUND.... let me repeat that..... THE GREYHOUND was going to be something like $75 more expensive had he bought it at the same time. I looked it up to prove a point to him and my mom about dirt cheap airfare. But, lets pass on the cost to the employees by doubling the cost of a buddy pass shall we....

Logic will get you nowhere in this industry.

I paid $450 per person for our family vacation next week. Family of 3 that's over $1200.

I'm sure there are some ultra-low fares out there, but the vast majority of city-pairs in the country are still pretty expensive. When you shell out over $1000 for something -- anything -- you expect good customer service which includes (whether you guys like it or not) a reasonable explanation for delays.

It's been years since I flew for the airlines but I remember where you guys are coming from. From time to time, however, you need to stand in someone else's shoes for a while and think about where your CUSTOMER is coming from too.

Using the word CUSTOMER in place of PASSENGER will help you to remember that it is those butts in seats that pay your mortgage. And though it is fun to say that you don't need the low-fare, vacation, CUSTOMER... if you're in the bottom 3rd of the seniority list you owe your job to that person and his/her family.

I resent the implication that all bargain hunting airline consumers are "trailer trash" -- and so what if they are? Their money is just as green as everyone else's. The elitist attitude will not help your airlines return to success. Remembering a few rules of good customer service will.

Back