Just... Wow

Zap,

I can't speak for everyone else. . .but. . .

I treat every - yes - customer like I would want to be treated. That is, until I get some snarky attitude.

The trailer park traveler mentality is real simple to see. These individuals think that they are about to walk through a door lined with gold and their seats will be made out of gold - just because they are traveling by air.

Air Travel is not a right in this country, it's not even a privilege. If you can afford it - welcome aboard. If you had to spend 50% of your yearly income to travel to point B, tough titties - don't complain to me. Especially after the ridiculous history of cutting jobs just so the cheap traveler can continue to fly.

So - in the end - some of these people just won't be able to fly anymore. They'll find other means of transportation, and they'll also find other things to complain about, be it on Amtrak or Greyhound, or the family monster truck that wastes gas.

Yeah, Roger that Zap..... However, the people we speak of have no sense of "value " for their dollar. I don't care if the ticket cost $10,000. When the more inferior alternatives cost much more (like driving and taking the bus or train) and take sometimes days longer you kinda lose your ability to complain.

You don't go to Micky D's and demand the same customer service you get at Che Whitey. I don't go to the gas station and ask that my butt be kissed now that I pay four times as much as I did for the same gas six years ago.

I paid $450 per person for our family vacation next week. Family of 3 that's over $1200.

I'm sure there are some ultra-low fares out there, but the vast majority of city-pairs in the country are still pretty expensive. When you shell out over $1000 for something -- anything -- you expect good customer service which includes (whether you guys like it or not) a reasonable explanation for delays.

It's been years since I flew for the airlines but I remember where you guys are coming from. From time to time, however, you need to stand in someone else's shoes for a while and think about where your CUSTOMER is coming from too.

Using the word CUSTOMER in place of PASSENGER will help you to remember that it is those butts in seats that pay your mortgage. And though it is fun to say that you don't need the low-fare, vacation, CUSTOMER... if you're in the bottom 3rd of the seniority list you owe your job to that person and his/her family.

I resent the implication that all bargain hunting airline consumers are "trailer trash" -- and so what if they are? Their money is just as green as everyone else's. The elitist attitude will not help your airlines return to success. Remembering a few rules of good customer service will.

You are absolutely right.

However, purchasing a ticket and being a "customer" does not give people the right to surround the crew approaching the gate shouting obscenities and derogatory remarks to the working crew who was late because of customs issues! I think taking it to that extreme is what we're talking about here.

Watch the difference between how business travelers act and the once or twice a year Joe Twelvepacks.

If a business traveler has a meeting they need to be at, they fly out the day before. It's better to be there and get a good night's sleep and get prepped for the meeting. I've been there, done that hundreds of times.

Only a total doofus would say, yeah, why not, I'll just fly in the morning of the meeting. Nothing could go wrong.

On the other hand, Joe Twelvepack will cut things so close that anything being slightly off will kill him. And then he'll miss his cousin's wedding.

I remember a few years ago some woman decided she was so important she'd cut to the front of the line. I told her, you know, the line starts back there.

She said, but, but, but, I need to get to Washington.

And I said, so do the rest of us. The line starts back there.

Oh, but I'm a frequent flyer.

Yeah? What color is your card?

Blue.

Mine's gold. Get in line.

Oh my friend, I beg to differ with you. :) #######s come in all shapes, sizes and stations in life! Most of my nastiest, most demanding, obnoxious, know-it-all (including the FAA rules!!) pax are of the business traveler variety. Guess what? Most of 'em are the Gold and Platinum One-Pass member as well! :whatever: They just love telling me how I've made them late for their precious meeting and they are just sooo self-important, they can't bear to turn off their laptops, blackberries, ipods, etc. Biggest bunch of babies I've seen in my life! I know where it stems from too---they are such powerhouses at work, they can't BEAR to be told what to do, especially by a stupid, airhead FA. :rolleyes:

Watch the difference between how business travelers act and the once or twice a year Joe Twelvepacks.

If a business traveler has a meeting they need to be at, they fly out the day before. It's better to be there and get a good night's sleep and get prepped for the meeting. I've been there, done that hundreds of times.

Only a total doofus would say, yeah, why not, I'll just fly in the morning of the meeting. Nothing could go wrong.

On the other hand, Joe Twelvepack will cut things so close that anything being slightly off will kill him. And then he'll miss his cousin's wedding.

I remember a few years ago some woman decided she was so important she'd cut to the front of the line. I told her, you know, the line starts back there.

She said, but, but, but, I need to get to Washington.

And I said, so do the rest of us. The line starts back there.

Oh, but I'm a frequent flyer.

Yeah? What color is your card?

Blue.

Mine's gold. Get in line.

Most of our business travelers are of the elite/1K/Gold traveller sort, and if they're going to miss their meetings, they just leave and reschedule on another flight. No questions asked, and because they have the frequent flier bennies, or whatever program it is, it seems they can do this quite easily. Honestly, I've never seen any of our business regulars get too worked up about anything. Especially ones that are so regular that they see us commuting with them and go through delays and stresses ourselves. The system is what it is, and I love the "Dominoes Pizza" analogy.

I paid $450 per person for our family vacation next week. Family of 3 that's over $1200.

I'm sure there are some ultra-low fares out there, but the vast majority of city-pairs in the country are still pretty expensive. When you shell out over $1000 for something -- anything -- you expect good customer service which includes (whether you guys like it or not) a reasonable explanation for delays.

It's been years since I flew for the airlines but I remember where you guys are coming from. From time to time, however, you need to stand in someone else's shoes for a while and think about where your CUSTOMER is coming from too.

Using the word CUSTOMER in place of PASSENGER will help you to remember that it is those butts in seats that pay your mortgage. And though it is fun to say that you don't need the low-fare, vacation, CUSTOMER... if you're in the bottom 3rd of the seniority list you owe your job to that person and his/her family.

I resent the implication that all bargain hunting airline consumers are "trailer trash" -- and so what if they are? Their money is just as green as everyone else's. The elitist attitude will not help your airlines return to success. Remembering a few rules of good customer service will.
:yeahthat:

they are such powerhouses at work, they can't BEAR to be told what to do, especially by a stupid, airhead FA. :rolleyes:

Well, stop being a stupid, airhead FA.

Problem solved.

It's a JOKE, people. A JOKE.

I'm sorry, you set that one up and I had to take the shot.

I've found that generally speaking, the bigger time someone is, the less of a bunghole they are. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but when you know you're somebody, you don't have to try to prove it to someone.

Honestly, I've never seen any of our business regulars get too worked up about anything. Especially ones that are so regular that they see us commuting with them and go through delays and stresses ourselves.

Yeah, I had one guy who said, sir, you're taking this very well.

And I said, well, getting all pissy and yelling at you won't accomplish anything, will it? So why do that?

Seriously, if my flight is canceled, we've got a problem. We need to solve the problem and the way to do that isn't by throwing a hissy fit. It's to be calm and rational and work with the airline to come up with a solution.

Back