Just some thoughts..........................................................

smokey1

Today while on break from class I ran into an old friend. I hadn't seen her in a year. Well she was walking with one of the nerdiest looking guys I have ever seen and He asked me what my major was. I told him it was computer and information systems..........then he asked me what career field I would like to go into...................And I told him I would like to fly for a living.....................Turns out that this guy was in law school because he got furloughed from Continental after the 9-11 tragedy..................I explained to him the method at which I planned to make this a career, and he told me to forget the civilian route and go military, thats when I told him I have no desire to be in the armed services even though I considered it at one point in time.......................It also turns out this guy also flew F-18's in the Navy and still flies them in the reserves.............................This same guy also preceeded to tell me that I wouldn't have a shot at a major for 10-12 years..........I told him that's fine because I would be happy to instruct, fly freight, instruct, fly for a regional, instruct, fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog • out of Hong Kong for the next 10-12. He sighed and told me that my chances are very slim to ever get the shot at a 121op. When I asked him how bad of an economic situation we are in right now he told me that if the airline industry were to turn around today, he probably wouldn't be called back for 2 years! When I asked him will he return to Continental when he eventually does get called back, replied probably not....

Just some thoughts
confused.gif

Smokey............................................................

I like your answers to his comments. If you are happy to go the civilian route then you do that. That is also what I am doing. Look at Doug, he didn't go to the military. He got hired. It probably just wouldn't be the same if you were hired right on to a major. Just think of all that you will have to look back on when you do eventually get hired. Lots of memories of working hard to get where you are. That would make being there that much sweeter. Not saying that the military is not hard cause Duhhhh, just ask anyone in Iraq right now. Just keep your goals in mind and focus on them. Don't worry about what one person says or thinks. That guy was probably no expert, he has no idea what a prospective employer is thinking from another airline.

Of course his view is going to be that way since he has been furloughed for 2 years. If you dont want to go to the military, dont. Just keep with your game plan. People are getting hired out there, and not just 5000 hours. There arent many 400-500 wonders out there, but there are people getting hired with 1000-2000 and only CFI experience. JUst stay on your current track.

I am no where near an expert but I don't know how any one could think they know what the economy is going to do. When Corbin talked to the guy at ATP he said pretty much the same thing, but Corbin would rather die broke trying then never go for it at all.

Editing to clarify, the ATP guy said the same thing about it being hopeless, not that you can't know what the economy is going to do.

Dont listen to him man! He's just shooting BS because he probally feels sorry for himself (I've talked to plenty of those kind of guys-luckily havent ran into any hear on JC). Stick with civilian if you want to...Theres still plenty of CFI jobs out there if you are willing to move.

Tip #1: Don't talk to crusty furloughed airline pilots...bunch of chicken littles.

Not all, maybe not even most, but ones I talk to seem to often paint a very discouraging picture for young, aspiring aviators.

Don't let that Continental guy get ya down

Surf

I think the best comment he made was in responce to your question on if he would return to his former job with Continental. One less pilot to compete with!

DOnt get me wrong, It is really bad now and unstable. Lots of people are laid off. Lots of companies are in trouble and futures are uncertain. But to think you wont be able to find any type of job flying in a year or more is innacurate.

I agree kingairer........................I just hope to get a job instructing. In time others will come. I think I will enjoy teaching/learning.
smokey

When there's a will there's a way. I talk to pilots from all parts of the industry on a daily basis, and each of them has a different outlook on the industry. It all depends on where their roots are and what kind of experiences they have had in the past. Hard economic times are a part of everyone's life, they've happened before and they'll happen again. Personally I am optomistic about aviation, no matter what the economic condition. Hard times bring about new ideas and new methods, many of which will benefit us all in the future. If you want to fly for a living, go for it with everything you have and you will be successful. Things may not turn out exactly as planned but you will have met your goals and will be living a life long dream. Just my two cents.

People will always try to discourage you from obtaining your goals to cover there own insecurities. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or an economics major to determine that the current economy is bad.

Although a lot of the low time jobs are no longer abundant, there are still some out there. During my groundschool in April, there was a guy in my class that had under 800tt. I was the second lowest with just over 1100. The only experience I had was flight instructing in singles.

I am very fortunate to have an Uncle flying for a major who has been mentoring me since day 1. I have followed everything he has told me to do and during the time of furloughs, I was hired. He is expecting to have me in a new hire class at his major within the next two years.

I think eliminating Alaska from a choice may hurt you though. There is some great flying up there and the experience is second to none.

Those are just my 2 cents though.

I hope you encourage him to continue with, and be a success at, his law training. That would make one less guy in your way when things turn around.

I have quite a few friends that have recently finished law school. All of which have a minimum 100k debt and a starting salary of 30k. The impression that I get from them is that Law is every bit as hard to be successful in as aviation is. Not every lawyer will be making 100k or more. This guy might not have any more luck in law then he would have just staying in aviation.

Perhaps some of you more in the know like R2F can comment on the current state of the law profession.

Use your head and follow your heart is my advice to me. Give it your all and hope for the best. And cross your fingers just for luck, you never know when chance will favor you.

Blue Skies...
cool.gif

Smokey,

I'd venture to say that, IMO, one would have a chance of getting to the majors faster going civilian than military these days. Prime reason being the active-duty service committment required following the completion of pilot training. Currently standing at, I believe, 10 years. So with one year of pilot training, that's an 11 year service committment. I think that someone could make it to the majors within that time, if not less, going civilian. I know I would have had I remained that route.

Food for thought.

I agree as well. Don't join the military for the wrong reasons. Two CFI's at my FBO where just hired. One to Comutair, and the other to AirNet. Both only had about 1200TT and 200 multi.

Smokey - don't let it get to you, bud!

We get crusty ol' furloughed pilot(s) on this site singing that same sad song a lot here lately. That's their story... not yours.

You keep your eye on the prize and keep doing what makes YOU happy!!

Your experience doesn't have to be THEIR experience and visa versa... if that makes any sense.

Like DE727UPS said - one less pilot in our way when it's our turn... and "our turn" WILL happen!!

Best of luck!!

R2F

Back