Just how much different is it?

I don't see how that was misunderstood, but no I was not saying it was me or my lack of IFR skills.
smile.gif
Just kidding. What I was referring to wasn't even at my airline. It was back at my university, and it wasn't really a lack of IFR skills... it was the fact the instrument presentation was different, which caused mental confusion in how the display presented the same information regarding bank angle. The display in the Saab is reverse what is displayed on GA attitude indicators. It takes some getting used to when you are very familar with Piper and Cessna-type instruments.

I have jumpseated in the Saab 340a that Eagle uses. I think it reminded me a lot of the Brasillia and the 1900 EFIS (well a lot nicer than the 1900!)

My current favorite is FMS superimposed on an EFIS Map, hard to get lost that way
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
From the Tomahawk to the Warrior, pretty easy.

From the Warrior to the C-172, pretty easy, but it felt like a volkswagen.

From the C-172 to the Piper Seminole, holy crap! Pretty easy to get behind the aircraft.

From the Seminole to the Duchess, piece of cake.

From the Duchess to the King Air C90, amazingly simple.

The Beech 1900 is just a big Duchess so that was pretty easy.

From the 1900 to the 727 engineer panel, pretty challenging because you don't use ANY pilot skills.

From he 727 panel to the 737 FO seat was a big challenge because the FO duties are a little different than the SO seat.

From the 737 to the MD-88, a semi-challenge beacuse the autopilot works absolutely differently than the 737.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey Doug- How about from a C172 to a MD-90?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanks for the posts! Got a follow up question (sort of). If you would look back to your 'early' hours, is there anything you can think of that would prepare you better for the transitions in any way? Knowing what you know now, what could have made them 'easier'? Is it even possible to do that? Somehow fly the 'put-puts' and improve one chances for a smoother transition when the time come?
Thanks in advance
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hey Doug- How about from a C172 to a MD-90?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be extraordinarily entertaining to watch!
smile.gif

Trim, TRRRIIIIIIM!

and 100....50.....40.....30-20-10 BAM!

[ QUOTE ]

and 100....50.....40.....30-20-10 BAM!

[/ QUOTE ]

What? That's unusual?
grin.gif

My steps up the aircraft ladder were pretty normal and were such that I didn't take any real giant leaps.
C-152 to Warrior/Archer to Baron to HP Cessna 206/207 to Bonanza. I guess the next step was pretty big- The transition to the turbine Beech 18 was tricky. The big twin-turbine-tailwheel was a bit of a beast to handle on the ground. Next came the King Air 90- Flew exactly the same as the Baron/Bonanza. Transition to the Brasilia was hard systems-wise but handled pretty good. And now to the RJ was not a big deal either.

Upgrade in the RJ was a challenge mainly because I had to "recalibrate" my hands. I'd been flying with my right hand and manipulating power with my left for three years. Moving to the left seat reversed the roles. My left arm was actually sore after the first week of sim!

[ QUOTE ]
If you would look back to your 'early' hours, is there anything you can think of that would prepare you better for the transitions in any way?

[/ QUOTE ]
Read up on the automation systems of the larger aircraft. Find out how a flight director works. Get into the technology of flying. That's the future. I remember my first experience in an aircraft with a flight director. There's a little button on the yoke called the "sync" button. None of us at the company had any idea what that did! In the operation we were in, we never used the flight director and rarely used the autopilot so I never figured it out until coming to Skywest!

Best book on earth when it comes to preparing yourself for turbine/jet powered aircraft is the Turbine Pilots Flight Manual

The best was the new guys in the F-100,,,,,,,,,from the #1 jumpseat we would hear

"One Hundred.....................Fifty....Fourty..Thirty.Ten" BAM

Back