Just A Controllers Opinion

Damn you hit the nail on the head ArchieLeague!!! I think all the new ATC wannabes should be required to read your post.

I am someone who doesn't care about the pay or what everyone else thinks. I have been studying for free for the past 3 years spending my own money driving all over to see VORs and various different airports and views of the Las Vegas valley to watch the air traffic. I have spent a few hundred dollars over the years purchasing books and maps and computer programs to further advance my own knowledge. I do this for my passion of Air Traffic Control and the Aviation Industry. I do not feel entitled to anything as an ATC until I prove myself. For me the money is great as long as it keeps a roof over my head and food on the table and I don't sit on the closet floor crying every morning I have to go to work because I hate it that much. In Vegas you can do that making $16.00 and hour. Everything after that is savings!!!

Thank you again for the post....I loved it!!!

First I have almost 7 years of higher education, a BS and a thesis short of a MS.

First, I have 32 years as an air traffic controller (9 military, 23 FAA). My “higher education” was 9 years as a military controller. I guess that would make me about 183 credit hours short of my MS.

You need to understand something. 99.9% of the controllers I know don’t care if you have a BS, MS, MBA or were a member of the NBA. They do not care if you were CTI, MARC or military. When you show up on the floor to work you are a developmental controller. What you did in the past does not matter to anyone, it does not prove a thing. Starting the day you walk in the facility you must prove yourself.

I just felt like venting after watching those hearings.

I guess this gets down to the whole point of my post. You sir have NOTHING to vent about. Get your CPC and spend 3 hours working busy traffic during weather THEN I would be happy to buy you a cold one and vent with you. Until then, sit down, shut up, face the scope and learn your job.

Just a controller’s opinion.
:yeahthat:

Best parts of this Post in my Humble Opinion.....

And stop telling me..."yeah I was just going to do that" when I ask you something. You and I both know....no you weren't.

Why would an OJT say that? That's rediculous. The correct response is... "Yes Sir, I am right on top of that, thanks for the instruction".

OK two things come to mind when you said that:
#1 Yeah right...never happend/happens
#2 Suck up:sarcasm:

It wasn't meant to be a suck up comment... I have always had that mind frame... if I am learning from someone and they call out a mistake, I immediately own up to it (a good point of clarification of the error) and thank them for pointing it out and file it in my memory bank of what not to do going forward.

Are you saying the 'kidz' coming into it are not behaving this way? This concerns me on so many levels... this is not a job you come into with a holier than thou attitude. It takes a good deal of experience in order to have the ease and finesse required to make a stressful day into a normal day.

It wasn't meant to be a suck up comment... I have always had that mind frame... if I am learning from someone and they call out a mistake, I immediately own up to it (a good point of clarification of the error) and thank them for pointing it out and file it in my memory bank of what not to do going forward.

Are you saying the 'kidz' coming into it are not behaving this way? This concerns me on so many levels... this is not a job you come into with a holier than thou attitude. It takes a good deal of experience in order to have the ease and finesse required to make a stressful day into a normal day.

Boomer...that's why I put the sarcasm sticky next to it..I know you meant what you said. Yes there are a great deal of noobs/probies that come, at least to A80 thinking they are gods gift to air traffic and they have never spoken to an actual airplane. Two recent comments come to mind..one is a noob was in the back break room, as usual, and i told him that if he spent as much time on monitoring the operation or studying the .65 ass he does on the INTERNET and iphone he might have a good chance of checking out. His response was "I learned everything I need to know for this job at CTI college". Floored me. The second happened just the other day. New kid, real punk..has already pissed off half of the facility with derogatory remarks about women controllers and everything else under the sun. Tells a group of us vets that he can check out at A80 in three months and then proceeds to show us his lucky ATC coin that helps him be in "the zone".

Boomer...that's why I put the sarcasm sticky next to it..I know you meant what you said. Yes there are a great deal of noobs/probies that come, at least to A80 thinking they are gods gift to air traffic and they have never spoken to an actual airplane. Two recent comments come to mind..one is a noob was in the back break room, as usual, and i told him that if he spent as much time on monitoring the operation or studying the .65 ass he does on the INTERNET and iphone he might have a good chance of checking out. His response was "I learned everything I need to know for this job at CTI college". Floored me. The second happened just the other day. New kid, real punk..has already pissed off half of the facility with derogatory remarks about women controllers and everything else under the sun. Tells a group of us vets that he can check out at A80 in three months and then proceeds to show us his lucky ATC coin that helps him be in "the zone".

Sounds like they are hiring a few morons. Who acts that way at a new job anyways? A mental reject?

ATLTRACON - question on those kids - I assume that you have experienced people like this before. Are you finding it more common now with lots of OTS and CTI with the CTI thinking they are better cause they have been to school for it and OTS thinking they are better cause they didn't have to go to school and were still picked; or are you finding it to be about the same it has always been...stupid new guys thinking they know it all right out of OKC?

I'm surprised he doesn't stick a feather in his headset...

Wow, it sounds like new controllers are just TONS of fun!

I dont care what job you get, whether it's a minimum wage paying job, or an executive level, i've always been taught to never be "that guy."

But it happens in all aspects of the work world. When i was working at Chilis we had servers get all cocky because they were hired with no prior experience too...Oh well....

ATLTRACON - question on those kids - I assume that you have experienced people like this before. Are you finding it more common now with lots of OTS and CTI with the CTI thinking they are better cause they have been to school for it and OTS thinking they are better cause they didn't have to go to school and were still picked; or are you finding it to be about the same it has always been...stupid new guys thinking they know it all right out of OKC?

I find that it is more prevalent now than before. It seems that there is an entitlement mentality nowadays seeing how they spent so much on CTI school and have loans. That is the feeling I get, today I was hired and by lunch I want to be the CEO. No hard work involved, and it's someones fault if they do not get checked out....never looking in the mirror.

I can believe that. I went to a junior college for the CTI program to pursue this career after I had already finished up my Bachelors for Biological Sciences at UCDavis. Ended up not needing to finish because after 1 semester there (halfway done with the program) I got my FOL for OTS and now I am going to be heading to training soon.

Anyways I was shocked at how poor the attitudes of some students were. At least 1/4 were being smart asses all the time or would rarely show up to class. Even worse is half of the students would just copy off each others homework or just not even do it. The sad thing is the homework and projects were probably as easy as stuff I have done in Middle School.

So hearing how poor some people's attitudes can probably be is not too suprising. just my opinion

Those are the types that make me hate to say I was a CTI.

We had a guy show up for his interview the other day wearing a torn-up t-shirt, shorts, and sandels. Wanted nothing to do with seeing the operating areas (though he did want to know how good our TV/internet was :banghead:) just wanted to get in and get out.

Who goes to ANY job acting like that?

Since when did 9 years become equivilent to a MS? The military pumps out tons of retards, because thats where they go since they can't get into college.

Since when did 9 years become equivilent to a MS? The military pumps out tons of retards, because thats where they go since they can't get into college.
I hope that's :sarcasm:. From what I've seen, it's much easier to get into a community college than it is to get into the military.

Back