JSX

Yeaaaah, it seems bizarre guys here are being complimentary of them

Education.

I know nothing about anything than hopping on a 10-minute uber to Scottsdale Airpark and getting to Vegas far faster than the driving block time or even the jumpseat block time from PHX.

Help me understand. I'm always on the cusp of chartering a jet for a last-minute getaway so between the time and convenience of JSX, please help me understand why it's a bad deal.

Education.

I know nothing about anything than hopping on a 10-minute uber to Scottsdale Airpark and getting to Vegas far faster than the driving block time or even the jumpseat block time from PHX.

Help me understand. I'm always on the cusp of chartering a jet for a last-minute getaway so between the time and convenience of JSX, please help me understand why it's a bad deal.

Same...

I don't even know if they're pay is set up like an airline style pay system or a basic 135 corporate operator honestly.

The R-ATP came about cause of a crash and the feeling that regional F/O's should have more experience. Did the regionals boost pay right after that. Not that I remember. Supply and demand post covid is what forced the regionals to raise pay cause they couldn't retain pilots due to everyone leaving for the majors.
Ehhhh, the regionals started raising pay well before Covid, but it certainly got outta hand post covid. I recall making 23k in 2011. By 2015, that was up to 50k or so for new hires. 2017 there were some big new hire and retention bonuses.

Directly related to, as you said, supply and demand.

So do you think pay would go up or down if we went back to wet commercial tickets for 121?
Education.

Well, ALPA is pretty vocal about being against JSX and the like, it's something that Skywest wanted to do as well to skirt hiring mins.

As a pilot, this loophole doesn't seem good for us. They get the perks of 135 while operating like 121 without the drawbacks. They are regulated as an "on demand charter," but operated 110k scheduled departures in 2022. They pay less than the regionals, are able the bypass the ATP rule, bypass TSA screening, and most importantly the oversight and regs associated with part 121 operations.

This all being said, sounds like the FAA is going to crack down on this, so we will see what happens.

Same...

I don't even know if they're pay is set up like an airline style pay system or a basic 135 corporate operator honestly.
according to APC, daily rate, 14 day minimum. According to the Reddits, first year pay for a low time FO is $33k. 5 year captain is $147k.

When I was flying there shortly after they started up, they provided better pay and QOL than the 121 regionals flying the same equipment. It was the best kept secret in aviation if you lived on the west coast. Today even with the fact that they can hire FOs with a wet CPL and use over 65 Captains, their pay has not kept up with the rest of the industry, definitely not with 121 regionals and I'd say not even with the larger 135 operators. QOL has gone down and a lot of the things that made it unique no longer exist, so now they're a revolving door. You can't loophole your way around market forces even if your barriers to entry are lower. That's why they're advertising to wet CPLs and RACs. You'll probably always find takers in those categories but the young ones will be gone as soon as they get their hours and the old ones will get tired in a year or two of flying 4 legs a day in an RJ with 20 minute turns. That's hardly the cushy retirement job. They're a tiny fish in a huge ocean and don't really have the ability to sway the pilot market. Their business model is very hard to scale and I don't see it taking over the industry. Many have tried and failed, and even JSX itself is having a hard time growing how they had originally planned. Their saving grace is the deep pockets of their investors that has allowed them to keep playing until they figure out the right size and market to finally make money. Security wise their "behind the scenes" screening is a lot more powerful than you think, and IMO exceeds the standards of the TSA security theater. If airline terminals could adopt that technology we would all be better off in terms of aggravation, and I think it does a better job at catching prohibited items. I'll probably always have a bit of a bias in favor with them because it gave me and many of my peers our first break in aviation as a first jet job at low time and later that first jet Captain experience. Without that I don't think I'd be where I am today, and definitely not on this timeline. We can argue that they're taking advantage of a loophole, but I don't see it as an existential threat to the pilot market. If anything the way they're set up they will be even more susceptible to getting wiped out at the next big downturn, or the day their main investor wakes up and decides they've had enough. To my knowledge they're still not profitable or are just barely breaking even.

Back