Jetblue Tail Strike On Departure

That wasn't just a drag-the-tail-until-you-get-airborne maneuver. They jerked the plane off the runway. The video made it sound like the tail took a pretty good crunch. I'd love to see the pics of the damage.

If you thought there was structural damage, would it make sense to go up to 310 rather than stay lower (if possible with the terrain) to minimize decompression risk

I make it my business not to monday morning quarterback crews when I don't have all of the information. Does this look concerning? Yes... is that video bad? Yes. Do I have all of the facts and info to really investigate this and start making statements about what the crew did? No, I do not, so I will not and I hope you'd all do me the same professional courtesy.

I make it my business not to monday morning quarterback crews when I don't have all of the information. Does this look concerning? Yes... is that video bad? Yes. Do I have all of the facts and info to really investigate this and start making statements about what the crew did? No, I do not, so I will not and I hope you'd all do me the same professional courtesy.

Yeah, I was just asking as a general procedure type question - not questioning what this crew did. Guess the tail would be outside the pressure vessel, so structural would probably be more a concern than depressurization (as mentioned above).

Just curious was all - not trying to be critical.

“Um……yeah, there was another plane. That’s it, let’s stick with that story!”

“OK, now nothing else about this until after we land and shut down the CVR! Got it!?”

Yeah, I was just asking as a general procedure type question - not questioning what this crew did. Guess the tail would be outside the pressure vessel, so structural would probably be more a concern than depressurization (as mentioned above).

IMO with a tail strike on most any plane you do not know the extent of the damage back there. You can guess and infer some from pressurization, but you really do not know what is damaged or how bad.

The A320 has a Tailstrike QRH procedure that says basically limit to 500 FPM climb and 1000 FPM descents. No higher than 10,000’/MEA/MORA. Packs off and ram air on…. FL310 doesn’t really agree with that…

That wasn't just a drag-the-tail-until-you-get-airborne maneuver. They jerked the plane off the runway. The video made it sound like the tail took a pretty good crunch. I'd love to see the pics of the damage.

I wonder if they were asleep at the wheel and this was a late, albeit enthusiastic, rotation.

I also hate to Monday morning QB, but I’d like to make sure I have some facts right: the King Air was at least 2 miles out on final? I’m curious why the pilots would rotate so rapidly as opposed to a normal rate? I could see if they looked out and saw the King Air on a collision course approaching Vr, but 2 miles is quite a distance. Would LOVE to hear cockpit audio on this one. Glad everyone is safe.

I also hate to Monday morning QB, but I’d like to make sure I have some facts right: the King Air was at least 2 miles out on final? I’m curious why the pilots would rotate so rapidly as opposed to a normal rate? I could see if they looked out and saw the King Air on a collision course approaching Vr, but 2 miles is quite a distance. Would LOVE to hear cockpit audio on this one. Glad everyone is safe.

I'd be curious as to why the King Air continued once they saw an A320 coming at them? Surely the two, maybe four eyeballs in the King Air would have a better chance of seeing the Airbus on the runway than the Airbus crew looking skyward for traffic.

Back