JetBlue Crewmember Recommendation for JC User

Mike Wise

#NewSchool
Hey guys, I decided to apply for seasonal work at Jetblue here at KPBI, and I received an e-mail about recommendations. A bit of a background, I'm a college student, self employed with a PPL ticket working on my instrument. My family tows airplane banners, so most of my experience has been about 3 years of working for them.

I decided to apply for this job with some friends just so that I can see what it's like to work for an airline, and what the business is like as well. I do intend on being an Airline Pilot maybe some day, so I also think having this experience might look cool on my resume? who knows, but I'd like the challenge anyways.

If anyone on here can help, that would be cool!

[quote="Mike Wise, post: 2147956, member: 26621]

Also, if anyone on here works ground operations, if I do get hired, what can I expect as a rampie?[/quote]

Heat

Back pain

Chicks

$$$$

Neon green vest!!!

Better chances for the vest, than chicks! But, I'm a optimistic, usually!

Last edited:
You can expect to have the time of your life on good weather days hanging out with really cool people doing stuff you'll never talk about on internet forums. When its sweltering hot or pouring rain, you'll want to die. Non-reving will be awesome until the first night you end up sleeping in a musky smelling chair in the JFK baggage claim, because security wouldn't let you spend the night in the sterile area, explaining to the hot girl on a buddy pass next to you that the loads "LOOOKED" good and the 8AM flight tomorrow is wide open. Good luck and enjoy it, I miss it.

You can expect to have the time of your life on good weather days hanging out with really cool people doing stuff you'll never talk about on internet forums. When its sweltering hot or pouring rain, you'll want to die. Non-reving will be awesome until the first night you end up sleeping in a musky smelling chair in the JFK baggage claim because security wouldn't let you spend the night in the sterile area explaining to the hot girl on a buddy pass next to you that the loads "LOOOKED" good and the 8AM flight tomorrow is wide open. Good luck and enjoy it, I miss it.

Haha, thanks I hope I get a call. I have some friends who worked season last year and said it was a real great experience.

[quote="Mike Wise, post: 2147956, member: 26621]

Also, if anyone on here works ground operations, if I do get hired, what can I expect as a rampie?

Heat

Back pain

Chicks

$$$$

Neon green vest!!!

Better chances for the vest, than chicks! But, I'm a optimistic, usually![/quote]

...smelling like Jet A all the time. Seriously, my car and my laundry room constantly smelled like Jet A.

Hey guys, I decided to apply for seasonal work at Jetblue here at KPBI, and I received an e-mail about recommendations. A bit of a background, I'm a college student, self employed with a PPL ticket working on my instrument. My family tows airplane banners, so most of my experience has been about 3 years of working for them.

I decided to apply for this job with some friends just so that I can see what it's like to work for an airline, and what the business is like as well. I do intend on being an Airline Pilot maybe some day, so I also think having this experience might look cool on my resume? who knows, but I'd like the challenge anyways.

If anyone on here can help, that would be cool!

Have you applied anywhere at the other side of the field? I used to work for Galaxy Aviation, but at BCT. I know that at PBI they do handle some of the airliners as well, but it's mostly private aircraft.

Have you applied anywhere at the other side of the field? I used to work for Galaxy Aviation, but at BCT. I know that at PBI they do handle some of the airliners as well, but it's mostly private aircraft.

I applied there a few months back, and unfortunately the shift they wanted to hire me into was one that I wasn't available for :/ it was an over night shift, and I work nights elsewhere but they were great people!. My friend Leslie is a ground guy there, and I think my instructor Matt B. worked there at one point as well.

I applied there a few months back, and unfortunately the shift they wanted to hire me into was one that I wasn't available for :/ it was an over night shift, and I work nights elsewhere but they were great people!. My friend Leslie is a ground guy there, and I think my instructor Matt B. worked there at one point as well.
Hmm...you could run into problems with that. I don't know how B6 operates at PBI, but generally, line stations get late arrivals that spend the night and go out at the ass crack of dawn. When you have a plane that's supposed to land at 11:30PM, and its coming from delay ridden JFK, there are going to be a lot of nights the juinor PM-shift guys are going to be sticking around a few hours to meet the thing. Hopefully you get mornings, but airlines generally start you off with a "take it or leave it" attitude when you get offered a shift.

Hmm...you could run into problems with that. I don't know how B6 operates at PBI, but generally, line stations get late arrivals that spend the night and go out at the ass crack of dawn. When you have a plane that's supposed to land at 11:30PM, and its coming from delay ridden JFK, there are going to be a lot of nights the juinor PM-shift guys are going to be sticking around a few hours to meet the thing. Hopefully you get mornings, but airlines generally start you off with a "take it or leave it" attitude when you get offered a shift.

I was worried about that. A friend of mine who has been there a few years says they split the shifts into 4-9am, 9-2am, or 130-630pm, 6-11pm. Hopefully I'll the early morning shift, or the afternoon shift and not have any problems.

I was worried about that. A friend of mine who has been there a few years says they split the shifts into 4-9am, 9-2am, or 130-630pm, 6-11pm. Hopefully I'll the early morning shift, or the afternoon shift and not have any problems.
Here's a tip, if you get a shift you can't do, don't quit right away. Airlines are usually very relaxed with part timers and its a "body for a body" out there. Chances are, someone working mornings wants nights, probably even someone in your training class. That's known as a "buddy bid".

JetBlue and delays? NEVER! But seriously, it's a fun job but you're gonna start out at the bottom of the barrel, so you're gonna get what you get. Don't be discouraged by that though, because at large stations like PBI, you'll move up rather quickly.

I was in a similar situation like you a little over eight years ago. I was working on my PPL and wanted to get in with an airline, particularly JetBlue. I remember applying with United, AA and JetBlue and was beginning to doubt I'd land an airline job anywhere. Fortunately I got a call from JetBlue to work on the ramp and that opened up endless possibilities for me. Unfortunately I stopped flight training while working on my instrument, but I worked my way into a position that I absolutely love doing.

I got a call from NY for an interview next Tuesday! I've had my drivers license suspended once for not paying a fine while I was over seas. How will that affect me?

I really wish I could get on with a mainline airline ramping. I work as a part time ramper and gate agent in Omaha. Unfortunately airlines keep contracting more and more of this stuff out, and Omaha got hit by it. Only mainline airline left here is southwest and united is being contracted out soon.

As crappy as delta global services treats us as employees the people are what keep me waking up at 345 four days a week. Best of luck to you! Out if curiosity, what do the pay rampers there? Delta starts us at 8.25 and caps you at 10 after five years lol.

From what I read online I believe the part time position was $12 per hour, training was paid for plus $40 per day for the week we are in Orlando.

If I were you and I had a choice, I'd take evening every time. It's so much more relaxed when you are only dealing with terminators. Nobody is barking at you about getting something out on-time. I always got stuck with mornings when I did it and by mornings I mean starting at 3AM which absolutely sucked.

If I were you and I had a choice, I'd take evening every time. It's so much more relaxed when you are only dealing with terminators. Nobody is barking at you about getting something out on-time. I always got stuck with mornings when I did it and by mornings I mean starting at 3AM which absolutely sucked.
Yeah. The night crews are usually younger and way more relaxed at airports in general. At Skyweezy, mornings felt like a job, nights felt like High School. But in a good way.

Interview went well. Tons of returns from previous seasons, as well as experienced Delta and AA rampies (one was even a manager at AA which surprised me a bit.) Did you know those guys over there don't get any benefits at all? Sad.

Got called back for pre-employment drug testing/finger printing and at that time, they told me that they Really Wanted me upstairs doing airport ops. So looks like if I get an offer of employment it will be for upstairs! Anyone know want to give me the DL on what that's like?

Interview went well. Tons of returns from previous seasons, as well as experienced Delta and AA rampies (one was even a manager at AA which surprised me a bit.) Did you know those guys over there don't get any benefits at all? Sad.

Got called back for pre-employment drug testing/finger printing and at that time, they told me that they Really Wanted me upstairs doing airport ops. So looks like if I get an offer of employment it will be for upstairs! Anyone know want to give me the DL on what that's like?
Airline ops is pretty easy. You answer every 4 phone calls, mute the air to ground frequency and just reply to every call with "they're on the way" then go back to watching ESPN, call flights 10 minutes out to your ramp crews when they're on the ground, stack 3 flights on top of eachother at 50% of your gates and leave the rest open, then do gate changes for waiting planes once they've held 20 minutes for a gate that was never occupied. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

Back