Jeppesen International Trip Planning

Elroy Jetson

Hi there,

I am looking at moving into the world of dispatch and I recently found out about a position with Jeppesen as an International Flight Planner (please see the services provided/ description here: http://ww1.jeppesen.com/industry-solutions/aviation/business/international-trip-planning.jsp) and I am curious if this would be somewhat considered 'entry level' and secondly, would it given me a good basis for future dispatch opportunities (with commercial airlines) in the future?
I would love to know your thoughts and opinions of this, as professional dispatchers? I'm sure you have heard of Jeppesen's trip planning services before. I should also mention that I do not have a dispatcher license (not required for this position) but it is something I will be looking at down the line if its a career I like and it becomes necessary.
Thanks guys and girls.
EJ

Last edited:
I had to admit I was curious about it myself, so I called them up and asked. The gentleman I spoke with had been there for 10 years, and was not licensed dispatcher. He started off in International Trip Planning, which is basically aviation logistics (arranging handling, over flight permits, catering, etc.) and then eventually was trained as a flight planner. So it sounds like yes, that could be an entry level position.

My experience as a customer of Jepp's ITP department has been very good. Not so much of flight planning (routing, times, fuel burn, etc..) but more along the lines of handling services. Arranging FBO's, landing rights with foreign customs offices, crew handling and accommodations, document processing (Passports and unaccompanied minors).

It is certainly an interesting side of flight operations, processing paperwork and procedures that not many people know exist. It could definitely lead to a 121 position.

I had to admit I was curious about it myself, so I called them up and asked. The gentleman I spoke with had been there for 10 years, and was not licensed dispatcher. He started off in International Trip Planning, which is basically aviation logistics (arranging handling, over flight permits, catering, etc.) and then eventually was trained as a flight planner. So it sounds like yes, that could be an entry level position.
It can be a whole business. There are many companies that offer these services. I use them for ferry flights. As a job, perhaps you want to go with the 800lb gorilla. As a pilot going into some rather sketchy realms, I go with the smaller guys who have local knowledge and local contacts who know how to get you out of a pinch should you find yourself in one. In either case, I think it might be a very interesting and rewarding job.

Thanks for the reply everyone. When I hear the words 'aviation logistics' a little part of me says no this isn't what I am after, I want to move into dispatch for proper airlines. However I accept my experience is rather lacking. I'm not sure when you called them up Flying Saluki but the role where I am (and lets consider that it maybe different here in Europe given its subject to different rules) definitely has a large flight planning process to it with weather, fuel calc, procedures and routing (ETOPS) etc... maybe they lied at the interview also and I'm just a glorified travel agent! Either way, its a step up from where I am now, its bigger pay, I'm further along the path of getting myself a seat at the dispatch table and I'm learning a hell of lot of stuff. So its win for all. Thanks for the tips guys, its most appreciated. See you in Denver at the Jeppesen training academy this summer.

Back