J-3

Douglas

Old School KSUX
Does anybody know of a J-3 that is available for rent?

I don't care to go and rent it, I am more interested in what it costs to rent it at that flight school.

reason: I would really like to get LSA going at my airport and I could go for a J-3.

Does anybody know of a J-3 that is available for rent?

I don't care to go and rent it, I am more interested in what it costs to rent it at that flight school.

reason: I would really like to get LSA going at my airport and I could go for a J-3.

The only J3 I know of is dual only and runs some 120/hour wet with CFI.
No rental.

BAP is right, they have two and they are 80/hr wet.

They also have the legend cub which is brand new for 100/hr wet.

Thanks for the response!
My google search came up with nothing.

Is my opinion $80 sounds very reasonable especially with tail wheel insurance.

I would love to have one on line at my school for LSA, but if the C-150 was going to be a lot cheaper, it would have been a tough sell.

Thanks for the response!
My google search came up with nothing.

Is my opinion $80 sounds very reasonable especially with tail wheel insurance.

I would love to have one on line at my school for LSA, but if the C-150 was going to be a lot cheaper, it would have been a tough sell.

There are a few awesome little 'Champs' out there. If you need help getting an idea about prices and locs, let me know. I'm 'scanning' all the time. Seems to be a pretty reliable trainer too. Just looks a bit uglier than a nice Cub. ;)

Funny you say that, I was talking to our mechanics today at the break table about it and they said, "well, have you thought about a Champ?"

Looks like I need to read up on this champ.

What is the average price for a rental champ that you have seen?
thanks

Funny you say that, I was talking to our mechanics today at the break table about it and they said, "well, have you thought about a Champ?"

Looks like I need to read up on this champ.

What is the average price for a rental champ that you have seen?
thanks

Sorry Douglas, I don't think you will see much difference in rental price, it really depends on what kind of frame and engine you get, how/ if the school has to finance and write off, average flight hours, and insurance.
If you limit the rental to higher times and a solid checkout you could get quite a deal.

Maintenance wise the Champ is as good or as bad a plane as a Cub. You just might save a few bucks on initial purchase. You'll run safe on 70-80 wet + instructor, with this class of plane. Even if it's a right out purchase, with liability only, I would not charge less for it, as you may need fabric, overhead for engine and a fund for the 'obligatory ground based aerobatic session'. I guess people just love to groundloop planes. And afterall who would not like to have a plane that actually pays for itself. ;)

Don't forget insurance. I just got a quote for mine that I've decided will be "dual only". The yearly rate I was quoted by AIG was nearly $2200.

Like cessna414jb said, Take a good look at Champs. They are great airplanes. Operating costs will be about the same. You are going to pay more for the Cub strictly because of the "folklore" of the Cub. Don't get me wrong, A Cub is a great plane and loads of fun to fly, but a Champ will be a very worthy alternative to the higher priced Cub. The Champ is a little more roomy and also solo's from the front. Check em out.

What kind of insurance are you talking about? The insurance the school has to pay or the pilot? Because the pilots rate wouldnt go up at all because AIG policy doesnt have a stipulation against tailwheel.

What kind of insurance are you talking about? The insurance the school has to pay or the pilot? Because the pilots rate wouldnt go up at all because AIG policy doesnt have a stipulation against tailwheel.
I got a quote so that I could instruct in my Cub and still be covered by insurance. If I just had an owner policy and something happened while I was giving someone instruction then my policy would be voided and I'd be SOL.

Well yea you need commerical coverage on the airplane. It ain't cheap in any airplane. Where I fly the school actually self insures all 20 airplanes. Than requires all CFI's and Students to carry their own non-owned insurance. That way if a CFI or student crashes an airplane their non owned insurance would cover the cost to fix or replace. The school has a set hull insurance value each pilot most hold before renting. Saves them money they would be spending on premiums. Not cheap for the pilots though. CFI insurance is pretty costly. Mine with a hull value of 80,000 and the lowest set of liability limits is still just over 1000 for a year. That means the first 50 hours of instruction is just paying for the CFI insurance.

i can rent a 7EC Champ up here for around 72/hr wet +tax, so i guess right in that 70-80 range. plus instructor, but you can get it solo

Champ is a little more roomy and also solo's from the front. Check em out.

I am have done a quick search for them on Controller.com, but couldn't find much there. Barnstormer.com had a few there. I really like the ability to solo from the front. That in my mind is a big plus.
i am 6'5, roomy is always good.

CFI insurance is pretty costly. Mine with a hull value of 80,000 and the lowest set of liability limits is still just over 1000 for a year. That means the first 50 hours of instruction is just paying for the CFI insurance.
Congrats on getting the CFI!
So your company doesn't buy your insurance? If you don't mind me asking, do they give you a little more so you can pay for it?
I personally wouldn't like that very much unless my hourly rate was enough so it didn't matter.

Classic aviation has one for 60/hr. Looks like a pretty good deal.

http://www.flyclassicaviation.com/

Pella. I know where that is and I think I can afford a weekend trip just to see how the cub flies.

I have never flown a cub or a champ, but they seem to be a good way to get into LSA/more business into the school......and tail wheel time!

Douglas, it's possible that at 6'5" you may not fit in the front of a Champ. It depends on where your height is. Is it in your torso or your legs? If it's in your legs, your knees will hit the bottom of the panel. I tried to put a 6'6" gent up front in the Champ we have at our school and he couldn't get his feet on the rudder pedals because of the panel. He did fit in the back (just barely though).

Greg

Douglas, it's possible that at 6'5" you may not fit in the front of a Champ. It depends on where your height is. Is it in your torso or your legs? If it's in your legs, your knees will hit the bottom of the panel. I tried to put a 6'6" gent up front in the Champ we have at our school and he couldn't get his feet on the rudder pedals because of the panel. He did fit in the back (just barely though).

Greg
ahhhh dang it.
Yeah most of it is in my legs. Looks like in need to dig up a local champ now.

Back