J-3

Its amazing what happens when you find out all that "Bonanza Propaganda" is just headroom!

Douglas, No all CFI are considered independent contractors. We are not employees if that makes any sense. But you still have to be hired. Explain that one to me. Its not all that bad though. Great place to fly. Our ground classes are pretty full so looks like should get some good flying in this summer even in this economy. But being a self contractor means you have to pay the full something like 15% for medicare and SS instead of just 7.5%. Plus your CFI insurance. It kinds sucks. Plus we only make 20 a hour primary and 25 a hour advanced. I dont know how that stacks up to other peoples pay though.

If you are a contractor and not an employee, what percentage does your airport take?
or do you get the full instructor rate since you have to buy everything yourself?

My current school, we get 2/3rds of the instructor fee. I think that is reasonable and makes me feel worth my time, especially since they buy the insurance.
($21.00/hour Primary)
(22 or 23/hour advanced)

$20/hour is not bad, there are many CFIs making a lot less.

If you are busy enough getting paid $20/hour while paying your own insurance is a much better deal than getting your insurance paid for and only getting paid $15/hour.

Instruction is paid to the instructor at the end of each lesson. The school takes none. The school only makes money on airplane rent from the flight school. The flight owner also owns the airport and the airpark though. So he makes money off hangar rent, property rent, etc etc etc...

I think the $75 to $85 range is reasonable. I'm charging $85/hr for my Citabria. I'm using C,S & A Aviation Insurance and I'm happy with their quotes and their terms. I can even sign off students for supervised solos.

Back