It's Airbus!!!!!

davetheflyer

It\'s Airbus!!!!!

Big Iron is on the way! I've gotta run. I'm going to try to make it to the big press conference today, but here is a press release.

Atlantic Coast Airlines Announces Order for 25 Airbus Aircraft
A319s and A320s To Be Deployed At Washington Dulles,
Providing Company’s Low-Fare Airline with Transcontinental Capability

Dulles, VA, (November 18, 2003) - Atlantic Coast Airlines, the Dulles, VA-based carrier (ACA) (NASDAQ/NM: ACAI) announced it has entered into agreements to acquire 25 Airbus A320-family aircraft, with options for additional aircraft. These efficient, passenger-friendly aircraft will form the backbone of the fleet for the company’s low-fare airline. The first of these aircraft will arrive in September 2004 and will be ready for revenue service as early as November 2004.

The company has entered into a binding memorandum of understanding with Airbus for a firm order of ten new A319 aircraft configured with 132 seats, and five new A320 aircraft configured with 156 seats, including full conversion rights. It has also entered into leasing commitments from operating lessors for ten additional A319 aircraft. Each aircraft will feature IAE V2500-A5 engines. The aircraft will be equipped in a single-class configuration, and will offer passengers a comfortable 33 inches of legroom between most rows.

Atlantic Coast Airlines Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Kerry Skeen said, “Today’s announcement represents a major step forward in our strategy to transform the company into one of the leading low-fare carriers in the industry. The addition of the Airbus aircraft to our fleet will allow us to fly coast-to-coast from our hub at Washington Dulles to serve major destinations beyond the reach of the CRJ-200. This is a key component in our plan to offer consumers in the Washington, DC area and across the country an airline with low, simple fares, excellent service and convenient schedules featuring frequent departures and flexible ticketing rules.”

“We are pleased with the favorable economics and business terms we have achieved in this deal. By placing the order at this time we are able to take advantage of these favorable terms as well as delivery positions that are currently available, which are critical to the implementation of our low-fare strategy.” He added, “Our Board’s decision to go with Airbus aircraft was the result of an intense bidding process. The company received competitive proposals from airframe, engine, and equipment suppliers, all of whom were vying to participate in this order following their extensive review of our business plan. We believe that this agreement clearly demonstrates the confidence that Airbus and our new lessors have in our new business plan.”

Atlantic Coast Airlines is uniquely positioned to execute its strategy to establish an independent low-fare airline. The Washington, DC metropolitan area is the fifth largest air travel market in the U.S. with more than 40 million local passengers per year. The company’s existing infrastructure will provide immediate critical mass at Dulles, and the company believes that its cost structure will allow it to operate its Airbus aircraft at competitive costs relative to other low-fare carriers. The company’s pilots have voiced their clear support for the company’s business strategy by overwhelmingly approving competitive pay scales and work rules for the operation of the these aircraft as part of their recently announced revised contract.

With 44 gates, 87 regional jets and a fleet that will include at least 25 Airbus jets, ACA will operate more than 325 daily departures from Dulles, offering high-frequency service to a large number of markets for both local and connecting passengers. The company’s high-utilization operation and low distribution costs will allow it to offer walk-up fares up to 70% lower than those offered today for service to and from Washington Dulles.

The company intends to implement its new independent low-cost carrier strategy as soon as its existing contract with United Airlines has been terminated. The name and branding identity for the low-fare airline will be revealed at a ceremony scheduled for Wednesday, November 19th at 2:00pm, to be held at ACA’s state-of-the-art Washington Dulles maintenance facility.

ACA currently operates as United Express and Delta Connection in the Eastern and Midwestern United States as well as Canada. On July 28, 2003, ACA announced plans to establish a new, independent low-fare airline to be based at Washington Dulles International Airport. The company currently has a fleet of 148 aircraft—including a total of 120 regional jets—and offers over 840 daily departures, serving 84 destinations. ACA employs approximately 4,600 aviation professionals.

The common stock of parent company Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings, Inc. is traded on the Nasdaq National Market under the symbol ACAI. For more information about ACA, visit our website at www.atlanticcoast.com.

Statements in this press release and by company executives regarding its implementation of new business strategies and its relationship with United Airlines, Inc., regarding the unsolicited acquisition proposal by Mesa Air Group, Inc. and other matters, as well as regarding operations, earnings, revenues and costs, represent forward-looking information. A number of risks and uncertainties exist which could cause actual results to differ materially from these projected results. Such risks and uncertainties include, among others: whether Mesa Air Group, Inc. succeeds in its efforts to take control of the company through its proposed consent solicitation and to acquire all of the outstanding shares of the company’s common stock; the costs of reviewing and responding to the unsolicited Mesa proposal, and other impacts of the proposal on the company’s operations; United’s option under bankruptcy rules to assume or reject the existing United Express Agreement; the timing of any disengagement by the company as a United Express carrier under the United Express Agreement or pursuant to bankruptcy court proceedings and impact on the company’s ability to operate an independent airline; the ability to successfully implement a transition from United Express service; the ability to effectively implement its low-fare business strategy utilizing a mix of narrowbody aircraft and regional jets; the ability to acquire and obtain financing for the narrowbody aircraft; the ability to compete effectively as a low-cost carrier, including passenger response to its new service, and the response of United or other competitors with respect to service levels and fares in markets to be operated by the company; the availability of additional or alternative business opportunities for the company’s operations; the effects of United’s bankruptcy proceedings; the continued financial health of Delta Air Lines, Inc., and the ability and willingness of Delta to continue to deploy the company’s aircraft and to utilize and pay for scheduled service at agreed upon rates; availability and cost of product support for the company’s 328JET aircraft; unexpected costs arising from the insolvency of Fairchild Dornier; general economic and industry conditions; additional acts of war or terrorism; and risks and uncertainties arising from the events of September 11, any of which may impact the company, its aircraft manufacturers and its other suppliers in ways that the company is not currently able to predict. Certain of these and other risk factors are more fully disclosed under “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” in the company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2002 and in its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the nine-month period ended September 30, 2003. These statements are made as of November 18, 2003 and ACA undertakes no obligation to update any such forward-looking information, including as a result of any new information, future events, changed expectations or otherwise.

# # #

Re: It\'s Airbus!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
ACA currently operates as United Express and Delta Connection in the Eastern and Midwestern United States as well as Canada. On July 28, 2003, ACA announced plans to establish a new, independent low-fare airline to be based at Washington Dulles International Airport. The company currently has a fleet of 148 aircraft—including a total of 120 regional jets—and offers over 840 daily departures, serving 84 destinations. ACA employs approximately 4,600 aviation professionals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean they'll keep they're current paint scheme- or will we see a new TED?

a320.jpg

I was at the unveiling this afternoon at IAD for aca and their new logo. the ceo spoke, as did a guy from airbus. everyone is really excited about the new aircraft. then they unveiled a crj with teh new livery. i am sure its all over airliners.net by now. not too shabby looking. awesome time....and i had no idea that company had 250 mil $ in cash in the bank. jet blue started with only 140$ mil. and they are reseating all the crjs with leather seats....ala jet blue...could be the start to somethign wonderful....plus i got a nice independence air polo.

Hi
does anybody have an idea on what are going to be the new minimum requirements for the Airbus?
Do you think the airbus pilots are going to be hired from outside or is management going to select pilots from the CRJ, 328 jet, and then upgrade them to the airbus?

ACA currently has pilots on furlough, and a number of people beyond that in a hiring pool, so I suspect it will be a while before they hire anyone. When they do, it will be like any other airline. You'll be hired by the company, and placed in whatever aircraft they need you in. Once your new-hire seat lock expires, you may bid whatever position your seniority allows you to hold.

To answer your question, no they will not hire Airbus pilots separately from the guys flying the CRJs or the Dorniers. The Dorniers (the Delta Connection aircraft) may wind up off campus somewhere, due to a clause in Delta's pilot contract.

I expect their minimums will remain where they are right now. As aviation goes through cycles, hiring minimums typically changed based on the supply of and demand for pilots. I'm sure we'll see the same thing happen over the next several years as did during the 90s.

FL270

Dave,
Awesome! I can't wait to see the ACA Airbuses flying into IAD. Are you going to bid to fly them? I wonder if all the senior pilots will apply to change to the Airbus.

Mahesh

Thanks for the info.
Do you have more details about the delta connection operation future?

When I was visiting Delta Connection Academy last month, "they" told me that Comair was going to acquire all of ACAs Dorniers.
crazy.gif

I talked to my cousin on furlough with ACA. I don't know if he knows any more than anyone else, but he said something about the J41's being tossed, and their will be more furloughs. And the most senior guys will go to the Buses.

Yo Dave, care to confirm?
confused.gif

It is confirmed that the J41's will be history as soon as ACA-UEX is history.

As to the Dojet, that is the subject of many rumors. Management and ALPA types say that there is no official word on their future. Unofficially, the latest rumor is that DAL will give us our 180 day notice when we start taking delivery of the Airbuses.

Our contract with DAL requires them to take the airplanes if they terminate our contract. Our contract does not forbid flying larger aircraft BTW. DALPA's scope clause is the problem.

The new website is www.flyi.com and it is up and running with a picture of the new plane. I have a pic also if someone can host it for me.

As to the bus pilots, those slots will be up for bid. Most senior captains are in the CRJ so most Airbus pilots will probably come from there, although there will probably be people from the Dojet and the J41 as well. I will probably elect to stay in the FRJ in CVG for as long as possible since I just moved here and am enjoying not commuting.

We do still have 96 pilots on furlough and another 50 that are scheduled to be laid off over the next couple of months. They recently reduced the number of captains that were being displaced, so we are hoping that they will reduce or eliminate the furloughs as well. These guys will all be offered recall before we start hiring again. At that point, I don't think that minimums will change since new hires will still go to the CRJ or FRJ.

Additionally, printed here for your approval, from the home office in Dulles, Virginia, here are the Top Ten Rejected Employee Suggestions for the New Airline (drum roll please).

Top 10 rejected names:

10. Meghan D Air (Meghan is an ACA employee)

9. Kitten Air

8. Pacific Midwest Airlines

7. Theodore Air (they supposedly liked this one, but thought that people might start calling us "Ted," and that would be a dumb thing to call an airline
grin.gif
)

6. Free Bird

5. Free Air (rejected by Finance Committee)

4. No BS Airlines

3. Quick Jet or Slick Jet or Click Jet

Pro Air or Go Air or Flow Air (with thanks to Dr. Suess for
the submission

2. Dairy Air

...and the number one rejected name for this airline.... which appeared in fifteen foot tall letters on two big video screens stage left and right... ...complete with drum roll, was...

...you guessed it. Mesa.

And the crowd went wild.

Here is the official press release.

====
Introducing: Independence Air
ACA To Transition Washington Dulles Operation Into America’s Largest Low-Fare Hub
Preview of Airline’s New Website Now Available at www.flyi.com

Dulles, VA, (November 19, 2003) - Atlantic Coast Airlines, the Dulles, VA-based carrier (ACA) (NASDAQ/NM: ACAI) today revealed the name and brand identity of its low-fare airline at a ceremony attended by over 2,000 airport and government officials, stockholders, media, company partners and employees at Washington Dulles International Airport.

The airline will be known as Independence Air.

Atlantic Coast Airlines Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Kerry Skeen said, “We are very excited that Independence Air at Washington Dulles will create America’s largest low-fare hub in terms of total departures—in the fifth largest air travel market in the U.S. We remain solidly convinced that by using the right aircraft sized for the right markets, Independence Air will take its place as the natural next step in the evolution of the highly successful low-fare airline model.”

Mr. Skeen added, “Every detail of Independence Air is being designed to offer travelers in the Washington metropolitan area—as well as 50 other communities—exactly what they have been asking for: low, simple fares, excellent service, a faster, easier travel experience and a convenient, flexible schedule of flights to business and leisure destinations all across the country.”

Independence Air will operate a fleet of at least 112 jets, including 25 Airbus A320/A319 aircraft as well as 87 CRJs.

In addition to the airline’s name, the company also revealed the logo and aircraft livery design for Independence Air. Graphic depictions of these elements—as well as a detailed description of the brand identity for the airline—are available at the new Independence Air website at www.flyi.com.

The low-fare airline is expected to launch during the first half of 2004—with the official start date to be announced as soon as ACA is released from its present contractual obligation to United Airlines as part of the UAL bankruptcy process. Approximately 60 days prior to the first day of service, Independence Air will announce the remaining details of its marketing plan to customers, including the exact cities it will serve from Washington Dulles, its simple low-fare pricing system, and its full flight schedule.

All Independence Air flights will be available for booking through www.flyi.com as well as a toll-free number that will be announced shortly.

The name selection and branding for the low-fare airline was developed in conjunction with gkv communications of Baltimore. The final decision was made following extensive consumer research as well as input from company employees, frequent flyers and industry experts.

Atlantic Coast Airlines currently operates as United Express and Delta Connection in the Eastern and Midwestern United States as well as Canada. The company currently has a fleet of 148 aircraft—including a total of 120 regional jets—and offers over 840 daily departures, serving 84 destinations. ACA employs approximately 4,600 aviation professionals.

The common stock of parent company Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings, Inc. is traded on the Nasdaq National Market under the symbol ACAI. For more information about ACA, visit our website at www.atlanticcoast.com. For more information about Independence Air, visit the airline’s new website at www.flyi.com.

aww man - what's wrong with "free bird"???? that'd be pretty kewl!!

[ QUOTE ]
aww man - what's wrong with "free bird"???? that'd be pretty kewl!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked that one too, but I think that TSA was concerned about everybody holding up their lighters during the flight.
grin.gif

Wow - pretty interesting that they'd put this on the side of plane:
[ QUOTE ]
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

Are the ACA/Independance Airbus pay rates going to be comparable to other LCCs that fly the 319/320?

Back