Is this possible?

sorrygottarunway

Soooo... I am just coming of a day of 60 degree banks, steep turns, unusual attitude recovery, stalls, all under the hood. As a bonus, my instructor had some fun on the way back to the airport. "WHEEE" he exclaimed as he did some lazy 8s, banked around the place. I don't think the floor stopped moving for the rest of the day.

Then I find this picture:
Steep%20turns.JPG

WHAT THE HECK!? Is this fake? I thought that the lift required increased exponentially, approaching infinity as a 90º bank was reached, as well as the load factor.

What is going on?

Could be a wing-over (think lazy eight, with 90 deg. of bank at the 90 deg. point). That might explain why the VSI is still indicating 1500 fpm.

Anyhoo, its entirely possible to bank 90 deg. in 172's, etc. without stalling and/or exceeding load limits. Not that I would know from experience or anything...
wink.gif

WOW! can I fly with you next time? that looks like a better scare than halloween night!
grin.gif

the darn "14 CFRs" state that you have to have parachutes if you're gonna be doing 60+ bank angles.

No we didn't... but I had my jacket on. And a hood. I have no clue what was outside, except where the two VORs were in relation to my aircraft. I am convinced my instructor wanted to drive me insane.

Now think of an even worse situation- what if we had coffee!? (ala Worcester airport taxiing to Amity...)

[ QUOTE ]
WOW! can I fly with you next time? that looks like a better scare than halloween night!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, since when is that scary?

Have done barrel rolls before in IMC just to cut down the boredom....
smile.gif

Is it just me, or is the turn coordinator going the wrong way from the AI? Looking at the AI it would appear that the plane is banked to the left... However, the turn coordinator is going to the right. I suppose it could have been taken during a gyro tumble... huh. Either way, nothing I would want to see with only 5 hours in my logbook
crazy.gif

Ethan

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, or is the turn coordinator going the wrong way from the AI? Looking at the AI it would appear that the plane is banked to the left... However, the turn coordinator is going to the right. I suppose it could have been taken during a gyro tumble... huh. Either way, nothing I would want to see with only 5 hours in my logbook
crazy.gif

Ethan

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it's a right 90 degree bank with blue side up, TC matches, ball offset probably due to momentary top rudder to hold the pic, IMO.

plus you gotta remember the VSI has a delay ( i think 6-9 seconds) before indicating current conditions....that could be the reason

[ QUOTE ]
So...
what's the story with the D-EOBO registration numbers?

D stand for Danbury?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a european registered aircraft

Back