is this book worth getting?

montanapilot

1560275219.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

i saw it at an aviation trade show recently and i have never heard of it before but it looked interesting. Any of you guys use it or have any experience with it? thanks

I've been wondering the same thing about that book. I'm about to start Commercial training and was wondering if it was worth getting to help out with the maneuvers.

(Although I'd be getting the version with the RED cover - for LOW WING aircraft !)

Its pretty decent. Clear and simple. I wouldn't have heard or known about it except my very first flight instructor (retired
f-14 driver and active 747 captain for Northwest) wouldn't teach a student who didn't have that book.

I've never read through it, but:

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have heard or known about it except my very first flight instructor (retired
f-14 driver and active 747 captain for Northwest) wouldn't teach a student who didn't have that book.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should say something about it....

I have a copy, it's a worthwhile addition to your bookshelf...particularly if you plan on becoming an instructor later.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have heard or known about it except my very first flight instructor . . . wouldn't teach a student who didn't have that book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just find a new instructor on principle!!! I'd tell my friends to find new instructors, too!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just find a new instructor on principle!!! I'd tell my friends to find new instructors, too!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd drop a former F-14 and current 747 driver as an instructor over ten bucks? Seriously?
confused.gif

I have the 'Low Wing' version of that book. There's no information there that can't also be found elsewhere, however I found the book to be layed out very clearly, and the manuvers are presented in a easy to understand format. It's a very worthwhile purchase.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have heard or known about it except my very first flight instructor . . . wouldn't teach a student who didn't have that book.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I would guess Hootie was speaking semi-hyperbolically. Either way, I wouldn't pass up a chance to get teachin' by a 747 pilot! "Hey, Cap'n, I may only have a 100 hours or so, but would ya mind walkin' in my resume? Could be me and you in that seven-four-seven cockpit together! Just like old times, right buddy? ... Er, no? Bad idea?"
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd drop a former F-14 and current 747 driver as an instructor over ten bucks? Seriously?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think that both F-14s and 747s are very cool, I need a flight instructor to teach me to fly a 152.....
grin.gif

And I have dropped CFI's over smaller things than that!!! The way I see it, I tell HIM what books I'm going to use - He's my employee!!!

I have it because it is so much easier describe maneuvers to students. The subtleties in the maneuvers are often difficult to impart on people. The other element that I find really nice is that the manual provides configurations that you can set up per plane.

mtsu, that seems a little extreme, particularily due to the fact that people take time to get to know another, especially know each other's teaching/learning styles.

[ QUOTE ]

mtsu, that seems a little extreme, particularily due to the fact that people take time to get to know another, especially know each other's teaching/learning styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take it the wrong way - if we'd been flying together for a while, I wouldn't just drop him because he suggested that I buy a book. As long as I was satisfied with him performance as a CFI and he was suiting my needs, I'd just let him know that I wasn't interested in the book, and that was that.

Now, if he decided that it was so important that he wouldn't fly with me unless I had the book (read the above post...), then he's be fired! Just like that. He wouldn't be able to blame anyone but himself, either! The only person that can demand that a student read something is the FAA. If it's that important to him, then he'd better come up with a more civilian friendly method (maybe that's why I don't fly with former F-14 pilots....
tongue.gif
).

[ QUOTE ]
maybe that's why I don't fly with former F-14 pilots...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even TomCatter?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe that's why I don't fly with former F-14 pilots...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even TomCatter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he's a different story....I'll be his wingman anyday!!!
grin.gif

I have the one for low-wing aircraft. I think it's a decent book. The layout is pretty clear and concise as well as it being broken down into what maneuvers are required for what rating.

Back