Is now the time to start?

TigerFlyer

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a Southwest captain about professional flying, the path to the right seat and the current state of aviation. When I told him I dreamed of changing professions to aviation he said I should go for it. In his opinion now is the perfect time as it's such a long road to the right seat (or other flying gigs). It left me with a few questions:

How much truth do you see in this arguement, is now really a good time? I've seen some of the estimates regarding the number of aircraft the various airlines have on order and how many pilots will be needed in the future but how long will it take to absorb all of the furloughed pilots and allow me and all the thousand ahead of me to move up the aviation ladder?

If your just starting by the time you get all the ratings and time the economy hopefully will have turned around. Thats what I'm counting on.

Yea same here. I won't be apply to any regional/major for at least 8-10 years, so hopefully by then it will be much better. Boy do I hope so...
confused.gif

I gotta throw in my "me too" on this one. I'm getting my ratings right now also. Hopefully, I'll get picked in about 10 years. If not, I'll be a darn good pilot LOL.

Hell, I may as well toss in my me too to.1.
Smokey...............................................................................

I think the best time to start any career is when you are motivated and ready. I am going to go to Ohio State University's Aviation program. It will take me 3 to 4 years to finish my last two years of college (ironic huh??). However, when i graduate i will have enough hours to get my ATP certificate. I will also be a licensed flight instructor. The aviation department has lots of internships with companies like Fedex and locally based Netjets. It is the only university in the country i could find that allows you a B.S. in aviation without joining the military. So good luck to you. I am gonna be plugging along... Spring 2007 cant come soon enough.

[ QUOTE ]
It is the only university in the country i could find that allows you a B.S. in aviation without joining the military.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Explain that one!

[ QUOTE ]
The time to start was about six months ago. You missed it. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

HA!

yeah it does seem like a good time, those who are furloughed won't all come back, figure if the downturn lasts another 5 years this administration and the next one too, then you are at the point where things are picking up. Plus we have a few people on here now who have been picked up for new positions with smaller companies (regional) so it isn't that no one is hiring, it is more a matter of no one is hiring furloughed pilots, some entry level positions are still around.

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to go to Ohio State University's Aviation program. It is the only university in the country i could find that allows you a B.S. in aviation without joining the military.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, man, you forgot to go into the military after graduating from ERAU! What were you thinking?
grin.gif

Oh, and all you guys from University of North Dakota - start packing your bags; you're going to Iraq... You're in the military now.

[ QUOTE ]
...university in the country i could find that allows you a B.S. in aviation ..

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it I have a hard time seperating BS and Aviation, because there is so much BS in it?

Throw my "me2" in the ring. Should finish the Comm. by December (or sooner if I can swing it) and the CFI(s) by early next year... After that, it's anyones guess, but I'm praying that it's sooner rather than later.

BEST of luck to everyone on the same boat!

R2F

[ QUOTE ]
figure if the downturn lasts another 5 years this administration and the next one too, then you are at the point where things are picking up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heart just dropped to my stomach! Reality perhaps, nightmare, maybe!

I'm hoping to start on my PPL in December or early next year (I'll be 17 next year in Feb
blush.gif
) getting old but hopefully not to old to get a great start in order to be competitive with others when the hire time comes around. In 10 years maybe the majors will be ready for us.......and/or we'll be ready for them! For now I guess we're all on the same boat, singing the same old song! Lah, lah, lah, lah!
laugh.gif

GOODLUCK TO US!!!!!!
grin.gif

Back