Is it worth it?

[ QUOTE ]
But don't bash other for giving their feelings and opinions (especially to those trying to pass on wisdom). They have been there and lived it.... You have not....

[/ QUOTE ]

juskl -

no bashing here. just explaining my take on things, that is all. I appreciate and respect any and all opinions and as such they all weigh heavily on my mind when I think about my future. Its a hard road YES but does it lead to where I want to go? YES.

and I am doing the exact same thing as you - I will be CFI'ing part time. No giving up my current position until absolutely necessary, and I am in NO hurry whatsoever. Just moving forward, that is all. No academies, no fast paced training, no quitting my job cold turkey to go CFI (I am my one and only means of support) for this girl.

No one can even imagine how much thought, planning, and 'what-if' type thinking I put into this every day. If it doesn't work, I have fun CFI-ing on the side of my job I still have. Nothing lost.

Sarah

Good post John and Eagle. Very informative and helps me understand how you feel about your job. R2F about the police in Orlando thing. It is city by city in Florida. My brother is a cop in St Augustine. He spent several years trying to get out of the tiny little town he was in before he got on with a major department. He told me that it is very difficult(though not impossible by any stretch) to get on as a white male. He also told me that that is now changing as most of the large departments have reached the level of diversity they were trying to attain and it shouldn't be so hard in the future.

I applied to the departments less than a year ago. Have still heard nothing and my inside source says, "Don't hold your breath..."

hey Needle, I came from Seattle. I left the Seattle Fire Department last year and at about the same age as you. I did my private there at Galvin and came down to Florida to a big school. I don't regret it even though the industry isn't recovering that quickly (but I still know people that have been getting jobs). I decided I'd rather be out on the road and flying airplanes (I travelled extensively before joining SFD) than being in a job that was great - but just wasn't my thing due to the stationary nature. A US Air pilot helped me make the decision by figuring out what I really would rather do every day - and that thing (it turned out for me) was being out on the move. I guess you could say I analyzed it in terms of both primary duties (love to fly planes - I also love to drive) as well as lifestyle (I've lived the travelling life and could not wait to get back to it). I think where people go wrong is in thinking that because they enjoy going on vacation that they would enjoy travelling as a career - two very different things altogether.

Where are you doing your training?

Needle6
To simply answer your question, YES. You have a few important facts working for you. 1. You desire to fly is strong, so go for it. You should do it now, while you are relatively young and if it doesn't work out for you, you will still be able to recover financially. 2. I am going to share with you the best advice my Dad gave to me, He told me when I was considering this aviation "thing" that if I wasn't sure, I should take a few years and learn a trade so that if it didn't work out I would have something to fall back on. Also there would be up times and down times and as a skilled tradesman I could always find work. I heeded his advice and became a plumber / HVAC mechanic. The few times I needed work I was always able to find a decent paying job. You already have a skilled trade to fall back on, congradulations. So whats' stoping you? You may find that your skill will facilitate aviation opportunities and you will be able to have your "cake" and eat it too.

For whatever it is worth, less than three years ago I left a stable and financially rewarding career in the corporate world to chase a lifelong dream of flying for a living, and have no regrets after making the jump (or should I say leap?). I can empathize with those of you contemplating a career change, and know just how difficult a decision process it is. Now that I am finally in the "right" seat, I can offer you a few realities.

(1) Expect the unexpected. While it is a great idea to have some short and long-term goals, be prepared for some turbulence along the way. When I initiated my flight training, the regional jet revolution was in full swing. As the ratings were added to my license, I actually believed the path to a job would not be as long as I had initially predicted. Then the tragedies of 9/11 took place and I found myself contacting former colleagues to see if I might be able to get my former job back. Though the events of that September morning may not have halted the RJ deliveries, I had a feeling the ailing majors would displace their mainline pilots into the cockpits of their regional partners' airplanes (USAirways 'Jets for Jobs' is a perfect example of this scenario). Why would a regional airline consider hiring a low-time pilot if there were thousands of highly experienced major airline pilots on the street? September 11th proved just how susceptible the airline industry is to world events, as well as how quickly a "hiring boom" can morph into bankruptcies and furloughs. While I watched some of my flight school friends revert back to other occupations or the safe havens of college or graduate school, I elected to press on. Sure I found myself working on terra firma while waiting for flying opportunities to arise, but analagous to the turbulence I alluded to earlier, there was eventually smoother air (a job) to be found ahead. Your perseverance will one day pay off, trust me!

(2) Be prepared for the tradeoffs. I'm sure I do not need to mention the types of salaries flight instructors and regional airline pilots command in their first few years on the job. These numbers can be downright laughable. If you are motivated by the thought of a six figure salary and a monthly schedule with more days off than on, then I strongly recommend you consider taking up flying as a weekend hobby, and not a career. Seriously though, for those of you (myself included) used to maintaining a certain (comfortable) standard of living, be prepared for a change of pace. Aside from the financial implications, you can also plan on moving a few times, missing important family events, as well as spending some holidays at work. My new career has also made it more difficult for me to maintain a healthy romantic relationship, though I am currently working on that aspect of my life. Despite these sacrifices, I submit that my ultimate decision to pursue a career in aviation has proven to be the most rewarding I have ever made. The personal fulfillment I feel at the end of every flight makes it all worth it.

(3) Educate yourself and those around you. There are plenty of laymen out there who think they know everything about everything, including aviation. When I announced to family, friends and colleagues that I was leaving a promising career in Corporate America to chase a childhood dream, I was not fully prepared for the litany of ignorant questions and statements that came out of these seemingly well-educated individuals. "The airlines only hire pilots with military backgrounds... Don't you need ten thousand hours to get hired?... I thought you had to study physics in college to become a pilot... You are too smart to be a pilot... Why would you want to throw your future away and put your to do that?...So, you pay $50,000 for the training and then start flying for an airline? I hear the airlines' starting pay for pilots is like $100,000... When you first solo, your instructor just sits there and doesn't touch the controls, right?" -- You get the point. I recommend you do your homework and be ready to educate those around you. Chances are, many of you (like me) may be the only pilots in your family and circle of friends. Ultimately, the support and encouragement my family and friends provided, served as one of the greatest motivations for me to continue my pursuit.

(4) Choose the right training program for YOU. Often a source of controversy, be careful when deciding how you are going to get the ratings. Part 61 FBO or Part 141 flight academy? Keep your day job and train at night and on weekends or leave the workplace to immerse yourself in your flight training? What's a fair price to pay for my ratings? Will a school's affiliation with a regional airline get me into the right seat faster? Do I need to become a flight instructor to get a flying job? -- Though there are plenty of aviation professionals out there who have no reservations answering these questions for you, I say there are plenty of paths to a career in flying. What worked best for me may not work for you. Here's a few pieces of advice on selecting the right program from someone who was in your shoes not too long ago. Resist the temptation to select a flight school that claims to have a connection with one or more regional airlines. I've seen some schools advertising that they contine to provide pilots to XYZ Airlines (who by the way has pilots on furlough and has not hired since before 9/11). One the same token, do not discount a program because it seems to be too expensive. You need to consider a school's reputation, training syllabus, equipment, maintenance, and graduation statistics before deciding that it is overpriced. Sometimes you are not comparing apples with apples, especially when it comes to multi-engine time. I had a friend who elected to go to one school over another based solely on cost, and he really regreted it. The school's airplanes were not in great shape leading to many canceled training flights and a delay in his progression, ultimately costing him more time and money. After completing his Private, he decided to go to the place he had originally decided was too expensive. Let's face it, flight training is NOT cheap and never will be, so don't let your shopping for a flight school mirror shopping for a new car. You may ultimately get what you pay for. When touring a flight school, I recommend that you attempt to speak to current students who can provide less biased information than the marketing director can during his/her presentation. There is no easy road to a flying job (well, at least for most of us), so do not expect any guarantees. I've come across student pilots with seemingly unlimited financial resources who expect that the money they paid for their training should entitle them to a rating or a job. This is just not the case. Flying is ultimately a skill, requiring a great deal of diligent preparation along with a solid work ethic.

(5) Go For It! Life is too short to do something you are not happy doing day after day. A career in aviation is still attainable, even in these troubled times for the industry. You must, however, be able to adapt to the ups and downs this industry is famous for, and maintain a positive attitude. I am definitely not one of those "naturals" who found the ascent to the flight levels an easy one. This ride has been the most challenging and wild for me, but I am having a blast and love the view from my current office. Good luck to all of you career changers. I am rooting for you and encourage you to go for it!

FlyinCane,
I must commend you on your post. That was one of the most meaningful and insightful replies to a question intrinsic to aspiring pilots. The answer to "Should I become an airline pilot?" will yield a nebulous response if it's not clearly thought out with honest input from both current airline pilots as well as individuals in a similar predicament. More than anything, it requires an honest self-assessment of the true desire to "earn" a path to the cockpit.

When I first started out, an aviation consultant told me "As long as you're not in it solely for the money, status, or the cute flight attendants
grin.gif
, you <font color="black"> will </font> make it to the airlines." Thank God I received that advice; it was timely and pertinent, and it helped to corroborate my decision to "go for it". I hope that others can use anecdotes similar to yours while they ponder a decision that, while very challenging at times, is exponentially more rewarding.

FlyinCane: Outstanding post!! Good stuff!! Thanks for joining in!!

And FenderJag: "Intrinsic", "nebulous" AND "exponentially" in one post??? Dude!!
wink.gif

(just bustin' your chops).
grin.gif

R2F

BillyBob: I am flying out of Galvin with instructor Spence Campbell from ATC. For any instrument student in the Seattle area, Spence is an incredible Gold Seal CFII - completely worth the added expense of having to fly out of Galvin or Wings Aloft at Boeing Field.

I'm looking at ATP for my commercial and/or multi work, but I might just stick with the local FBOs. I've had a great experience with them.

650CAPT: I guess the only thing holding me back from taking the complete plunge is fear of financial ruin &amp; prolonged joblessness. I still have some school loans to pay back and, for me, that means that a more piecemeal approach is wiser.

I thank everyone for their replies. This forum is a godsend!

Any of you career changers prior military? I'm within about a year of my EAS from the Marines. I'm a helo pilot, so my road to airlinepilotdom would be longer and more twisted than most. So, get out and start building my time now, or wait for my 20, and start at age 41, so that I'll just start making real money by the time I retire? I do have a wife and young child and do all right on a (military) captain's pay. That RJ or IP pay, even if I stayed with the reserves, sure would be a hit.

Yes, my situation mirrors the classic, "Should I take the plunge?", but the military retirement at 20, 10 years from now, makes it a more complicated question. Plus, I probably could buy a decent used SE plane with the aviation bonus I'll rate if I sign for another 6 years...

The other question I have for other military pilots is whether you miss the tactical flights. I can definitely do without another 6 months aboard ship or in a tent, but low level on NVGs in still pretty cool. Is the flying in the airlines fun for flying's sake?

I am active military Phrog. My situation is different though. I am enlisted vice officer. I am not involved in aviation and am totally sick of my job in the Navy. For me the decision is 10 more years of doing what I really can't stand, playing up the standard navy chief party line(which I disagree with more than not) and not really having anything to show for it when I get out except the check and my ratings that I will have accumulated while in. The check just isn't worth it for me. I am banking pay to cover the first few years. In your case, it sounds as if you enjoy what you are doing. Maybe you should stick with it, get your instructor ratings and make the transition at age 40.

I retired at 20 years. on the dot. actually with terminal leave proceed etc, I did 19 years 9 months. This was my first month getting a retirement check.

I do not regret sticking it out for a second. I enjoyed the position I was in but I HATED (as did everyone else) the command structure.

We had and O-6 as the CO and another O-6 as the XO. go figure...

I started to fly (private rating) in my 12th year, and by the time I got out, I had been hired as a FO flying part time with a charter operation, with a full time gig available.

Anyway. The retirement check is Sweet! because a starting pay as a FO tends to suck pretty bad, but add it in my retirement and I am within $2-3000 BASE pay (excluding perdiem and the like) from my total take home pay as an E6. Add in the perdiem we get and I may pass it I'll let you know this time next year..

As a result I really don't give a damn when I hear people crying. "My starting pay at Airline/charter XYZ is only XXXX$," For a couple of reasons:

One I am usually 15 year older then they are. and did my time with [expletive deleted] hours pathetic leadership and worse wages, so suck it up and take what you can..

and because If I took that job add 15k to it and it makes it bearable.

I hear you on sticking it out. I do enjoy the flying, but can do w/out the careerist BS and some crappy leaders. If the flying got worse, but the management got better out the outside, I'd probably be happier. From a lot of what I've seen, though, airline mngt isn't exactly the best, either. I'm also looking towards opportunities like Customs or other LE, which might be a better fit to my goals.

Good evening

Let me introduce myself. My name is Jeff. I am in a career changin mode. Thinking about being an airline pilot. Thanks for your post. It was great insight. Just few questions. What school did you go? What was their training schedule like? What kind of students that have dealt with when you were a instructor at school?

Jeff

[ QUOTE ]
I have said: flying scares me (to a point), and I do not much care for the sitting around while snotliegh and bratliegh get back to the jet daddy paid for so they could go shopping at the outlets...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I can imagine the sitting around would be annoying, but what if you could get a job with a scheduled carrier? would you like that better? What if say Southwest offered you an interview, would you take it? or say a learjet cargo operation?

Back