Is it worth it to get my AGI / IGI

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
Just wondering if it's worth it to get your AGI or IGI? I'm kind of stuck moneywise right now waiting to get going on my commericial...but was thinking that I"m pretty good at imparting knowledge on people, plus it would keep me fresh and I'd be spending time at the airport...any thoughts?

Do you know anyone that would hire you to teach ground school? If not, it is pretty useless, IMO.

Yep, if you can find a place then go for it but if not then I would wait. The only thing that it does over your CFI is that it never expires, so you can teach ground school even if you let your CFI lapse.

I can think of one potential reason to have the AGI / IGI.

Worst case, if you were unlucky enough to have a rash of knowledge test failures of students you endorsed with your ground instructor certificate, your CFI ticket hopefully might not be in so much jeopardy, just the ground instructor certificate.

For instance, if you had to face a 709 ride versus surrendering a certificate, if the ground instructor is the one you have to give up, it would be less traumatic than losing your flight instructor privileges. Whereas a 709 may put all of your certificates in jeopardy.

It doesn't mean anything. It's almost next to worthless. I got my AGI/IGI just to pad the resume a bit. But, frankly, no one cares if you have it or not.

I can think of one potential reason to have the AGI / IGI.

Worst case, if you were unlucky enough to have a rash of knowledge test failures of students you endorsed with your ground instructor certificate, your CFI ticket hopefully might not be in so much jeopardy, just the ground instructor certificate.

For instance, if you had to face a 709 ride versus surrendering a certificate, if the ground instructor is the one you have to give up, it would be less traumatic than losing your flight instructor privileges. Whereas a 709 may put all of your certificates in jeopardy.

Understandable...but I don't even have my CFI..let alone my Commercial...say my flight school hires me to do some Instrument ground, wouldn't this be great knowledge / experience before actually getting my CFI?

Understandable...but I don't even have my CFI..let alone my Commercial...say my flight school hires me to do some Instrument ground, wouldn't this be great knowledge / experience before actually getting my CFI?

Absolutely and if they do then jump at the chance. Not only will that give you great experience but if you do a good job they'll probably hire you on as an instructor when the time is right.

You'll increase your knowledge studying for the writtens, but you'll learn even more if you start teaching ground. This would be a step ahead for you in preparing for the commercial and CFI.

At one pretty well-run local (Atlanta) flight school, they have a guy who does nothing but ground schools. He does the ground portion for BFR's, written endorsements, pre-checkride oral prep, etc. So you could potentially get a job & be somewhat busy at it.

If you get hired, yes, it could be a GREAT experience. If you don't get hired to teach ground, memorizing an answer bank for the written exam won't do you much good.

My school seeks out and hires ground instructors because we don't have enough CFIs. If you were here, you could have a job as soon as your test is over and the DPE gives you a certificate. Most CFIs want to fly. If you were an AGI who was interested in teaching ground school, you could probably find work if you had classes already put together and you beat the streets a little to market your product.

Don't forget that an AGI or IGI is required if you apply for a gold seal CFI.

AGI/IGI has to process in FSDO, it took me another 120 miles driving trip to FSDO and filled out the application....

I'm not sure what it's worth, but I took the two extra tests (AGI/IGI) along with my Commercial and CFI just because I was studied up on the same material and figured "why not"? I was surprised on how easy it was just to take those writtens, take an 8710-1 down to the local FSDO, and walk out of there with a new certificate. Plus I was a mere private pilot and could now call myself an "instructor". :D

It is worthless unless you do get hired as a ground instructor. Also don't believe it when someone tells you that you wont have to worry about your FOI when you go for your CFI initial. That is a heap of lies as the PTS says nothing about dropping the FOI oral unless you already have done an initial CFI ride.

When you're testing for your CFI and II, there's not really a good reason *not* to take the tests one more time for the Ground Instructor certs. They're not really needed, but are useful if the school/FBO you end up working at does a full-on ground school.

Looking over greenhorn CFI resumes I always wonder about the people who don't have the AGI (and IGI if they're an II), if only because it makes me question their knowledge and commitment if they either a) didn't know you just have to take the same test bank a second time for the cert. or; b) were too lazy to do so. It's a no-brainer resume padding excercise.

On the other hand, they're pretty useless prior to the CFI level *unless* you already have a job lined up that will pay you to teach exclusively ground--which would be great experience. Not too many of those jobs out there, however, so do your research first.

When you're testing for your CFI and II, there's not really a good reason *not* to take the tests one more time for the Ground Instructor certs. They're not really needed, but are useful if the school/FBO you end up working at does a full-on ground school.

Looking over greenhorn CFI resumes I always wonder about the people who don't have the AGI (and IGI if they're an II), if only because it makes me question their knowledge and commitment if they either a) didn't know you just have to take the same test bank a second time for the cert. or; b) were too lazy to do so. It's a no-brainer resume padding excercise.

On the other hand, they're pretty useless prior to the CFI level *unless* you already have a job lined up that will pay you to teach exclusively ground--which would be great experience. Not too many of those jobs out there, however, so do your research first.

There is about $90.00 per test of reason why not to do the AGI or IGI.

:yeahthat: Yeah, when I was taking my tests I had enough money budgeted to pay for the tests that actually meant something. An extra $140 for a couple for written's that aren't going to do anyting for me...

How are they useful? As a CFI/CFII, you can already teach ground school.

Back