Is it worth it to get my AGI / IGI

How are they useful? As a CFI/CFII, you can already teach ground school.

I know of at least one school that requires ground school instructors to have ground instructor certificates. The theory of my friend who works there is that the school does it to keep the eligible employee list down, as the guaranteed pay that comes along with classroom teaching is very attractive to food stamp-collecting instructors :rolleyes:.

Looking over greenhorn CFI resumes I always wonder about the people who don't have the AGI (and IGI if they're an II), if only because it makes me question their knowledge and commitment if they either a) didn't know you just have to take the same test bank a second time for the cert. or; b) were too lazy to do so. It's a no-brainer resume padding excercise.

while that may be a way to eliminate resumes (and we all have out methods), my opinion is that those are poor assumptions.

There are some incredible instructors out there who do not get those certs, because if you are actively teaching (barring let's say a medical issue) then you really do not need them.

Some people don't "pad their resume", because all that says to me is that they don't have a good enough resume showing what they have done and need some sort of fluff.

I'm not saying I whole heartedly disagree with what has been said, I'm just saying I disagree with the lack of knowledge or laziness.

while that may be a way to eliminate resumes (and we all have out methods), my opinion is that those are poor assumptions.

There are some incredible instructors out there who do not get those certs, because if you are actively teaching (barring let's say a medical issue) then you really do not need them.

Some people don't "pad their resume", because all that says to me is that they don't have a good enough resume showing what they have done and need some sort of fluff.

I'm not saying I whole heartedly disagree with what has been said, I'm just saying I disagree with the lack of knowledge or laziness.

Heck, some of the best instructors I know have never felt the need to get their CFI-I, despite the fact that they could sleepwalk through the checkride. AGI and IGI have no bearing whatsoever on someone's ability to teach: memorize questions, take test twice.

So, yeah, it's totally unfounded and unfair and not something I'll even try to justify, it's simply a thought I can't help but have as the paper comes across the desk. Regardless, an AGI, IGI (or lack thereof) wouldn't make the difference between the "recommend to call back" and "file in paper shredder" piles.

Back