Is ATP worth the $$$$??

takiniteasy

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and have been searching through the post trying to find out as much as I can about flight schools before I actually make a decision on one. Well first off let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am 22 and currently just ETS'd out of the army and I have my GI Bill to help with my training. I have no certifications and would need to get my private pilot license first. I have always wanted to fly. It has been a dream of mine since I was a kid like most other pilots on here. I am not wanting to get in it for the money. I actually am wanting to instruct for a while after I get certified. I am going to get this done one way or another, but I am wanting some advice first.

Would ATP a good choice?? I know they are going to be getting a Part 141 course for the career pilot course in Jan 2009 so that people will be able to use the GI Bill to help pay 60 percent of the course. But all in all is it worth it. I am so motivated to do this I am just not wanting to make a decision on a school that would hurt me in the long run. Anybody please post any suggestions
Thank you for your time

Really depends on what you want to do. If your looking to get everything done quickly and have something lined up then IMO its worth the money.

If you do not have something lined up then no It would not be worth it, however Eagle is rumored to start hiring again in January and Eagle has a letter or agreement with ATP to give interviews to graduates with 250 hours total time which is what youll have when you finish the course.

If your really not in a hurry to get your ratings then there is no need for ATP, go to an FBO and get it done for half the price.

I am wanting to get my flight career started as soon as possible, but without drowning my wife and I in debt. If you catch my drift. I no that you don't make much money as a CFI and a loan that size is a extreme decision in my eyes. I really want to get this going, but want to take my time and find the right school. Does anyone have any life experiences about ATP. I have heard good and I have heard really bad. I am planning on going down to the ne wlocation in Lawernceville GA this Monday to check it out. I have already looked at a few other schools and I am just weighing my options. I think I am leaning towards my local FBO Phoenix Air, but I am not turning away any prospects though.

I really want to get this going, but want to take my time and find the right school.
I know how hard it is to not just "jump right in" when you've decided that this is a new career you want. But... you are doing the right thing by researching the schools and finding what works best for you.

Does anyone have any life experiences about ATP.
This forum has a ton of experiences below this thread. There's even a few "blogs" strewn in.

I am planning on going down to the new location in Lawernceville GA this Monday to check it out. I have already looked at a few other schools and I am just weighing my options.
That's perfect. Physcially visiting the schools you are considering and having a standardized list of questions that are important to you when you visit will answer a ton of questions for you and open your eyes. Be sure you get some 1-on-1 time with instructors and students wherever you go as well. You will get your most honest responses with them that way.

I think I am leaning towards my local FBO Phoenix Air, but I am not turning away any prospects though.
As you shouldn't... again, keep an open mind when you visit the schools and look for any personal "red flags". Potential "red flags" could be perceived cost to value, multi-time ratio, gut feeling, uncertain about aircraft or maintenance, environment, training style differing significantly from your learning style, safety, etc.

Whatever you decide... JetCareers.com is a great place to hang out along the way.

Welcome to the forums!

Bob

Pro's of ATP:
1. 140hrs of Multi time
2. Real world IFR experience flying instrument cross countries.
3. For the most part excellent instructors that love flying and want to do their job well.
4. Total immersion into flying for 3 months.
5. Meeting and becoming friends with some of the hardest working guys you'll ever meet.

Con's of ATP:
1. 57,495.00 cost for the ACPP program, private program is extra. Before buying headsets, knee board, and any VFR charts your need. (IFR charts come with the program.)
2. Zero flexibilty on where you get to fly on your IFR cross countries. (you go were dispatch tells you to go.)
3. Once you pay that 57,495.00 you are just a number to ATP. If you dont make it through the program at their pace, you leave. (I saw this happen a few times.)

This is just want I could think of right now. I went through the Private pilot and the ACPP program at FTY. I currently work at Advanced Aviation in Lawrenceville so after your tour if you want to find out what it is like come over and talk to me.

Too soon to tell what this industry is going to do. I'd say go the FBO route and take your time.

The only way I'd consider it now is if I could do the 10 month program. Reason being, you need to factor in lost income from taking 3 months off of work to enter a pretty crappy job market after the program.

If the economy continues to tank, we may be a few airlines shorter than we have now. And your current job may not be there either.

Yea, back when I went through the program in Spring of 2007, everyone was hiring. The goal was to get through quick, instruct for 3 - 4 months to build some time, and then get hired by a regional. It made sense back then.

If I where to do it with the current industry, I would do PPL - CSEL at an FBO. CMEL - CFI/MEI/II with ATP.

Well let me add to what Bob said. For the most part we have and always agree on this issue. First and foremost you have to know what you are looking for as far as the type of learning that is best for you, and also what price range you are willing to set for training. Honestly we can not tell you on here what is best for YOU. There is only one person whom knows what's going to work out best for you, and of course that's you. And the only way to know what your best option is would be by visiting these locations.

I would stress do not buy into advertisements. The job market is harsh right now. 1000's of us on furlough. However ask any of us and most would tell you we would not change things for the world. With saying that, now is a good time to start training. Fuel is going down, jobs eventually will open back up. And when they do you will be ready by starting here shortly.

Feel free to ask questions. None of us are going to ignore your questions. None of us would be here without each other. So feel free to ask, search, and learn as much as you can. The best way to make a choice as to what is best for you is by doing your research. Each person has an indivdual situation and you must decide what is best for you.

Meyers thanks for the post. if possible could you recommend some more. I am not familiar with a lot of the schools you have mentioned, but with suggestions it opens up the horizon for me:bandit:

Meyers thanks for the post. if possible could you recommend some more. I am not familiar with a lot of the schools you have mentioned, but with suggestions it opens up the horizon for me:bandit:

Hey no problem. For one any of our sponors here on JC are a good start. It will give you a good range of what is out there. Also surreal flys for ASA right now. He did a lot of his training in the state of GA. Perhaps josh might be able to help you narrow things more down.

Where ever you choose to go have fun, try to stay out of debt (yes the pot calling the kettle black), keep in touch on here and have fun.

if possible could you recommend some more. I am not familiar with a lot of the schools you have mentioned, but with suggestions it opens up the horizon for me:bandit:
Career Pilot School has a good reputation on this site. They also have a forum in the sponsors section.

Do you have a degree? You might consider attending a university that has a flight training program. I personally am not a big fan of the aviation degree, but some schools will allow you to major in something else while still taking flight training.

I went through the ATP program. Here is my advice.... Almost everyone on this site including the people who posted on this thread cant see anything past airlines. They quit hiring and everything is gloom and doom for them.

The Regionals are such a small part of aviation that that shouldn't even affect much. Hiring is still being done. I finished the ATP program last year, instructed for 1000 hours, and now flying corporate making 60 K a year. There are also job in AK, and instructing jobs everywhere. And corporate just seems to be growing. Forest Service and USDA are hiring and paying well. Also way more fun then flying an airline :p

( I could be biased :) )

Get into specialized training, such as tailwheel instructing, or sea planes, and jobs will pop up everywhere. Seen a couple guys flying the all New Twin Otter 400 series with Glass cockpits and the works the other night. Makes the airline pilots drool

ATP is expensive now, I dont recremend them to anyone anymore, But dont let anyone stop you from accelerating through your ratings cause "no one is hiring"

Back