Ireland

Acrofox

All dragon~
Oddball question—I just booked tickets on Delta over to Ireland in mid december. Going to be staying in west of, in Westport, maybe renting a motorcycle if I can... but is there any general aviation over yonder? My google searches have turned up absolutely nothing thusfar. I have no idea whether I am even allowed to fly over there, even if there was an airplane for rent somewhere. I know that we tend to be a lot kinder to foreign pilots than the other way around... but I can't help think it would be really neat to fly over there if I could.

Anyway, thoughts/advice appreciated. I've only ever been out of the country once, and that was to China on business... needless to say I wasn't thinking about renting a motorcycle or trying to fly airplanes while over there!

-Fox

There's not much as far as GA, and as I'm aware, it's very expensive (as is the style in Europe). You'd be much better off with a motorcycle, IMO.

Oddball question—I just booked tickets on Delta over to Ireland in mid december. Going to be staying in west of, in Westport, maybe renting a motorcycle if I can... but is there any general aviation over yonder?

Rentals are usually available from flying clubs that offer short-term membership (day, week, month). A few years ago you could rent a 172 for 150 Euros per tach hour. Day membership was about 10 Euros.

I personally can't imagine renting an aircraft overseas. Then again, maybe my love of aviation just isn't that strong, but I have almost no interest in flying when I am on vacation.

Um dude that's because you fly Hornets for a living.

Remember despite the crap with Naval Aviation there are lots of people in the US that would kill to have a day in your shoes (even if it's a boring as crap CAP)! Heck if I were younger and did not have a spine fusion I would go for it.

Um dude that's because you fly Hornets for a living.

Remember despite the crap with Naval Aviation there are lots of people in the US that would kill to have a day in your shoes (even if it's a boring as crap CAP)! Heck if I were younger and did not have a spine fusion I would go for it.

I didn't mean to come off that way at all......though I can see how it would be taken as such

To be quite honest, the most enjoyable flight I have had in the last few years was with my old man in his Bonanza just doing straight VFR on a nice day in the beautiful PNW. I love GA very much which is why I troll this board. I am blessed to fly God's Chariot (and not some lesser Super Hornet or other such riffraff) but at the end of the day, it is a job. Coming off about 25 days of flying just about every single day (sometimes more than once), I am pretty much loving just sitting on the ground drinking beer :) That and not spending 4-5 nights a week dueling with the ramp of the ship........or tanking in the pitch black just so that I can have enough gas to make my recovery time

I didn't mean to come off that way at all......though I can see how it would be taken as such

To be quite honest, the most enjoyable flight I have had in the last few years was with my old man in his Bonanza just doing straight VFR on a nice day in the beautiful PNW. I love GA very much which is why I troll this board. I am blessed to fly God's Chariot (and not some lesser Super Hornet or other such riffraff) but at the end of the day, it is a job. Coming off about 25 days of flying just about every single day (sometimes more than once), I am pretty much loving just sitting on the ground drinking beer :)

Here here!

I am in Ireland right now.

If you are buying tickets, seriously consider non-US airlines. It makes a big difference on a long journey.

I don't know about Ireland, but it used to be permitted to fly a UK airplane on a US certificate. Sadly that is no longer allowed. Last time I was in England I went flying with one of my UK friends, who was a member of a club here. Befriend an Irish Aviator! Or you could rent a plane and pay an instructor to teach you Irish procedures...

It's pretty here. We'll be renting motorcycles in Scotland next week.

To be quite honest, the most enjoyable flight I have had in the last few years was with my old man in his Bonanza just doing straight VFR on a nice day in the beautiful PNW. I love GA very much which is why I troll this board. I am blessed to fly God's Chariot (and not some lesser Super Hornet or other such riffraff) but at the end of the day, it is a job. Coming off about 25 days of flying just about every single day (sometimes more than once), I am pretty much loving just sitting on the ground drinking beer :) That and not spending 4-5 nights a week dueling with the ramp of the ship........or tanking in the pitch black just so that I can have enough gas to make my recovery time

Like Ive written, tactical military flying isn't the "fun" its made out to be in movies; it's alot of work, with not very much time at all to "enjoy" the flying; work with the whole 14-16 hour days and all the other brief/debrief asspain, all for 1.5 of flying. And yes, whats difficult for many people to understand, is that there were many times when Id see the flight schedule and think "damn....I have to fly tomorrow?"

Like Ive written, tactical military flying isn't the "fun" its made out to be in movies; it's alot of work, with not very much time at all to "enjoy" the flying; work with the whole 14-16 hour days and all the other brief/debrief asspain, all for 1.5 of flying. And yes, whats difficult for many people to understand, is that there were many times when Id see the flight schedule and think "damn....I have to fly tomorrow?"
Sounds like any other professional flying job. :)

I am in Ireland right now.

If you are buying tickets, seriously consider non-US airlines. It makes a big difference on a long journey.

I already went with teh Deltas... My parents and I are going to be on the same flight going across the puddle.

I don't know about Ireland, but it used to be permitted to fly a UK airplane on a US certificate. Sadly that is no longer allowed.

Really?? Do we offer reciprocity over here?

Last time I was in England I went flying with one of my UK friends, who was a member of a club here. Befriend an Irish Aviator! Or you could rent a plane and pay an instructor to teach you Irish procedures...

I would be willing to do the latter. :> I don't know any aviators over yonder. Heck, I don't know anyone over there, except friends of the family.

It's pretty here. We'll be renting motorcycles in Scotland next week.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the motorcycle thing without driving halfway across the country to pick it up. Mmf.

Hey, thanks for all the responses, all. Beer/soda's on me if any of you make it out to the Bay.

~Fox

I already went with teh Deltas... My parents and I are going to be on the same flight going across the puddle.

Really?? Do we offer reciprocity over here?

I would be willing to do the latter. :> I don't know any aviators over yonder. Heck, I don't know anyone over there, except friends of the family.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the motorcycle thing without driving halfway across the country to pick it up. Mmf.

Hey, thanks for all the responses, all. Beer/soda's on me if any of you make it out to the Bay.

~Fox
You'll probably want to go up with an instructor anyway, unless you're familiar and comfortable with Irish procedures. There are differences that would be best to know about ahead of time. I suggest reading up on pertinent sections of the AIP I posted above.

You'll probably want to go up with an instructor anyway, unless you're familiar and comfortable with Irish procedures. There are differences that would be best to know about ahead of time. I suggest reading up on pertinent sections of the AIP I posted above.

I simply can't imagine -not- going up with an instructor, but yes... I'm in the 'initial research' phase.

~Fox

Oddball question—I just booked tickets on Delta over to Ireland in mid december. Going to be staying in west of, in Westport, maybe renting a motorcycle if I can... but is there any general aviation over yonder? My google searches have turned up absolutely nothing thusfar. I have no idea whether I am even allowed to fly over there, even if there was an airplane for rent somewhere. I know that we tend to be a lot kinder to foreign pilots than the other way around... but I can't help think it would be really neat to fly over there if I could.

Anyway, thoughts/advice appreciated. I've only ever been out of the country once, and that was to China on business... needless to say I wasn't thinking about renting a motorcycle or trying to fly airplanes while over there!

-Fox
Go fly a Falcon....My wife and I did when we went up that way, and its one of the best travel experiences ive ever had. http://www.falconry.ie/

When in Westport, the best pub is matt malloy's, grammy winner. Great music there and great craic. http://www.mattmolloy.com/ The pub next door is good as well.

When in Westport, the best pub is matt malloy's, grammy winner. Great music there and great craic. http://www.mattmolloy.com/ The pub next door is good as well.

I play Irish music (and other music) on a simple-system flute—you'd better be sure I'm familiar with Matt Molloy. ^.~ He dropped in while my parents were playing in Porter House (I believe it was)—they said he was quite a nice fellow. (They also played Campbell's, John O's, Geraghty's in that area... I expect they'll introduce me to all of them while there :)

(My parents play American folk music, JFTR. ;)

I'll definitely stop in there at some point—and leave my instruments at home. ~.^

So you're familiar with the area?

-Fox

Back