Invited to interview at Mesa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. . .but don't expect all those UND/ERAU/ATP/DCA kids who are just now graduating to change their opinions.

Or hell, anyone who made the career change recently who lacked any real world prior work experience to base their decisions on.

It's a shame really that so many of our peers are willing to sell themselves short, devaluing their own professional wealth but more importantly - mine and yours, and every other professional out there trying to raise the bar.

You know, I understand where your coming from, but Jesus man, tone it down a bit. I am one of those "kids" who JUST graduated and am looking like crazy for a job. By no means am I going to Mesa or Gojet or anything, but what do you expect people to do? It took me 6 1/2 yrs of crap and bull##### to get through all my training. Now that I'm done and have invested all that time and money into something that I LOVE, the economy went down the tubes. Everyone is getting the ax and those entry level jobs that were once available to us are not so much there anymore. You can't fault everybody for taking a job that will get them that "real world work experience" you speak of. Furthermore, their not totally to blame for the crappy wages. 9/11 had a hell of a lot more to do with it than a "kid" who wants to make his dream come true of being an airline pilot. Not to mention the corporate fat cats who are making millions while they are watching there company go down in flames and don't think twice about it. At some point, people have to take what is available to expand their knowledge and experience. Even if that does mean getting twin-turbine at Mesa right out of college. There just isn't that much out there right now so people cant be too picky.................

You know, I understand where your coming from, but Jesus man, tone it down a bit. I am one of those "kids" who JUST graduated and am looking like crazy for a job. By no means am I going to Mesa or Gojet or anything, but what do you expect people to do? It took me 6 1/2 yrs or crap and bull##### to get through all my training. Now that I'm done and have invested all that time and money into something that I LOVE, the economy went down the tubes. Everyone is getting the ax and those entry level jobs that were once available to us are not so much there anymore. You can't fault everybody for taking a job that will get them that "real world work experience" you speak of. Furthermore, their not totally to blame for the crappy wages. 9/11 had a hell of a lot more to do with it than a "kid" who wants to make his dream come true of being an airline pilot. Not to mention the corporate fat cats who are making millions while they are watching there company go down in flames and don't think twice about it. At some point, people have to take what is available to expand their knowledge and experience. Even if that does mean getting twin-turbine at Mesa right out of college. There just isn't that much out there right now so people cant be too picky.................

Your avatar suggests you go to Spartan :)

I have nothing other to say but that I noticed the paint job on the plane and immediately knew it was from there.

You know, I understand where your coming from, but Jesus man, tone it down a bit. I am one of those "kids" who JUST graduated and am looking like crazy for a job. By no means am I going to Mesa or Gojet or anything, but what do you expect people to do?

You missed Josh's point.

There good jobs and bad jobs out there why take a bad job, when there are good jobs out there.

Yes, I did just graduate from Spartan. What bearing does that have on my statement? Am I less of a pilot because of it? There are some not so bright people out there, but not everyone. I am the only one to graduate out of the 31 I started with so I would like to think that I made it due to not being a dee de dee. I have friends in the "biz" and am not TOTALLY clueless. (Just a little.....:D)

You missed Josh's point.

There good jobs and bad jobs out there why take a bad job, when there are good jobs out there.

I do understand his point, but he's not seeing others points. The industry is not the same as it was even two months ago let alone pre-9/11. The economy is crap and we as a country are heading in the wrong direction. If all that is truly available is a Mesa job for somebody, why not look at it? I guess my point behind my point is that you can't fault everybody who works for Mesa, GoJets, Great Lakes, etc. for killing the profession. Their not helping, but the blame does not lie on them as some would have you think. People are trying to get food on the table and if that's their only route, you can't fault them for it. The industry will NEVER be the same as pre-9/11. Job availability, pay, location, service, etc. etc. etc........

You missed Josh's point.

As always, he has a good point, but is unable to present it without painting with a broad brush and sounding a bit stuck up.

I'm the furthest thing from stuck up. . .and that's all I'll say about that comment.

Stomp, sorry bud if it came off harsh. But I'm not going to spell everything out every which way so everyone who potentially could read what I write is happy about the tone.

What I wrote is real simple.

I expect all of us involved in this profession (no matter where you are, FedEx long haul captain, or a CFI-SE) to have some self worth and not devalue that self-worth and the overall professional worth that you as a professional pilot can / will / could / would offer to the industry.

I'm the furthest thing from stuck up. . .

But I'm not even going to give that any comment besides that.

Stomp, sorry bud if it came off harsh, but I'm not going to spell everything out every which way so everyone who potentially could read what I write is happy about the tone.

You know, the tone and the message are fine. You have your experience which is WAY more than mine and you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. I'm just sick of everyone bashing the "kids" who are trying to make a living at something that they love. People tend to look at the younger pilots and see them as inferior because they didn't pay their "dues" the same way they did. It's a totally different profession and people are doing what they can to succeed and survive. They should not be looked down upon for doing that. Because underneath of it all, everyone who loves what they are doing, including you and I, will do whatever in their power to survive in the profession they love. Not everyone can be a pilot, so those who have made it deserve the respect as long as it has not been compromised and deserve the chance to work where they can.

You know, the tone and the message are fine. You have your experience which is WAY more than mine and you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy. I'm just sick of everyone bashing the "kids" who are trying to make a living at something that they love. People tend to look at the younger pilots and see them as inferior because they didn't pay their "dues" the same way they did. It's a totally different profession and people are doing what they can to succeed and survive. They should not be looked down upon for doing that. Because underneath of it all, everyone who loves what they are doing, including you and I, will do whatever in their power to survive in the profession they love. Not everyone can be a pilot, so those who have made it deserve the respect as long as it has not been compromised and deserve the chance to work where they can.

Surreal1221 doesn't have "that much experience". According to his personal blog he had 400 TT on Dec 27th 2007. I'm sure your comparable to his hours. Just because he's a big bad regional FO (still awaiting IOE as of May 27th) doesn't mean he's got more than you.

Just my opinion (and I'm sure everyone will hate it): EVERYONE and anyone who accepts employment at a regional regardless of their hours is "killing" the industry because the sub-standard contracts have been around for years. If there were no pilots coming in, <...edited for moderation.....>, companies would have to do something to fix that... :sarcasm:

Take all of that previous paragraph with a grain of salt but it seems like we're validating the pay scales of all these companies by going to them. So no matter where you go, if it's not the best pay, then you're validating a pay scale that is sub standard, essentially...

Surreal1221 doesn't have "that much experience". According to his personal blog he had 400 TT on Dec 27th 2007. I'm sure your comparable to his hours. Just because he's a big bad regional FO (still awaiting IOE as of May 27th) doesn't mean he's got more than you.

Just my opinion (and I'm sure everyone will hate it): EVERYONE and anyone who accepts employment at a regional regardless of their hours is "killing" the industry because the sub-standard contracts have been around for years. If there were no pilots coming in, even big badass guys like Surreal, companies would have to do something to fix that... :sarcasm:

Take all of that previous paragraph with a grain of salt but it seems like we're validating the pay scales of all these companies by going to them. So no matter where you go, if it's not the best pay, then you're validating a pay scale that is sub standard, essentially...

Oh boy...popcorn and frosty beverage time!:D

On a side note, regarding the Mesa interviewee, I say go to the interview, and knowing what you know about the company, make you're own decision. Having said that, should you accept employment there knowing what you know about them, don't come back on here complaining how bad it is when they start 'screwing' you.

Just my opinion (and I'm sure everyone will hate it): EVERYONE and anyone who accepts employment at a regional regardless of their hours is "killing" the industry because the sub-standard contracts have been around for years. If there were no pilots coming in, even big badass guys like Surreal, companies would have to do something to fix that... :sarcasm:

You know so much. . . I'm impressed. May 27th . . .man, almost a month. Suppose I should update that little sucker.

I'll take Bog's advice, and just say no.

Oh c'mon guys.... popcorn and frosty beverage time?:rolleyes: Since everyone thinks it's an insult to call someone a big bad regional FO - well look at me.... that's all I am. Nothing more, probably less. Other than that phrase, I merely stated facts as presented by his personal blog. Again, how is that insulting?

I was merely making a point of saying that the majority of posters who tell someone else that "working for regional X" are accomplishing the same thing no matter what regional their working at. Hell, I'm guilty myself, since I work at a regional. Until everyone at the same time puts their foot down about pay rates at regionals (and majors for that matter), there is NO point of telling someone that they shouldn't work at carrier X Y or Z.

Oh c'mon guys.... popcorn and frosty beverage time?:rolleyes: Since everyone thinks it's an insult to call someone a big bad regional FO - well look at me.... that's all I am.

Relax dude, it was a joke. I'm in the same boat man.

But we all know that I'm the biggest, baddest regional F/O ever!:D:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

People gotta relax around here.

Does Mesa make you resign your senority number elsewhere, or was that considered invalid by a 'signing under duress' lawsuit back east somewhere?

Stomp16 said:
Because underneath of it all, everyone who loves what they are doing, including you and I, will do whatever in their power to survive in the profession they love.

This is the truth, unvarnished. For some people it's difficult to accept that guys will crawl over the still-twitching corpse of your career to chase the brass ring. Me, I just see it as reality. This reality is a two way street, however. And when it's you getting #*& on by guys senior to you, when they give you a B-Scale or sell your flying to a cheaper subsidiary or start an alter-ego to depress your wages or run the union as their own special country club or vote in prefbid or don't vote in prefbid you're going to whine about how it's not fair and they're "selling out the brotherhood". Because another depressing truth is not only are humans greedy, they're also hypocritical.

Oh c'mon guys.... popcorn and frosty beverage time?:rolleyes: Since everyone thinks it's an insult to call someone a big bad regional FO - well look at me.... that's all I am. Nothing more, probably less. Other than that phrase, I merely stated facts as presented by his personal blog. Again, how is that insulting?

I was merely making a point of saying that the majority of posters who tell someone else that "working for regional X" are accomplishing the same thing no matter what regional their working at. Hell, I'm guilty myself, since I work at a regional. Until everyone at the same time puts their foot down about pay rates at regionals (and majors for that matter), there is NO point of telling someone that they shouldn't work at carrier X Y or Z.

My issue isn't with you calling me a big bad regional FO. . .I am what I am. . .can't help that.

I take issue though with you quoting things that I wrote, or referencing things that I wrote and then implying that I meant something else?

The bolded text is what I'm talking about.

I never once indicated for the Original Poster to not interview at Mesa, or to interview at Mesa, but rather that I hold a certain opinion that had nothing to do with the original poster but rather the widespread theory that those who are fresh out of college expect a job in this industry - and will essentially sell their souls to the lowest bidder for that job.

I would have hoped most of us have the brain power to realize the difference in telling someone No, don't goto work for them vs. hey kids with only a college background, 21 or 22 years old, think they deserve a job - and now the way the industry is - they'll take anything.

Huge difference in my eyes, and since I've had to dumb it down to the bare essentials hopefully that'll really clear up any confusion.

This is the truth, unvarnished. For some people it's difficult to accept that guys will crawl over the still-twitching corpse of your career to chase the brass ring. Me, I just see it as reality. This reality is a two way street, however. And when it's you getting #*& on by guys senior to you, when they give you a B-Scale or sell your flying to a cheaper subsidiary or start an alter-ego to depress your wages or run the union as their own special country club or vote in prefbid or don't vote in prefbid you're going to whine about how it's not fair and they're "selling out the brotherhood". Because another depressing truth is not only are humans greedy, they're also hypocritical.

Outstanding post. Its the truth.

My advice is don't worry about what other people say. Do what you feel is right at the time. If taking a job at Mesa is what you want, even after a good research on the company and the way they do business, go for it. I know a lot of good people working there, but they also know what its like there.

Live life, drink lots of beer and have lots of sex. Thats my philosophy. Who cares where anyone works in this industry anymore. But if I get the finger from one more Mesa pilot on the taxi out......:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back