Interview Attire

8a7d9c48e23c09de0f6dfde033715115.jpg

That's what all the Bros wear to their Delta Air Lines interview...

If it's a button down shirt I would wear a tie. Congrats on the interview, who are you interviewing with?

Someone digging up an old thread about threads!

I wore a suit and tie to my interview with Landcare. When it came time to fly the 172, they told me they appreciated my attire but I should feel free to take off the coat and tie for the flight! I got the job. I think in this case wearing a suit showed I was new to the process but eager to impress and not used against me. A polo and Dockers would have been fine and is what management was wearing. A tee shirt and jeans would have made me look like a moron!

My first job after retiring from the service was with ARINC as a Professional Flight Engineer. I was interviewed by and old friend and just wore the polo/khakis. I got the job but my "buddy" did report to upper management that I had not worn a tie. I've been a little gun shy since!

You can absolutely overdress. I mean, I went flying in a 172 in 95F weather at my survey interview a few years ago. That suit would have made me look like a moron.
We went flying at my first turboprop charter interview to. Also would have looked like an idiot in a suit.
Overdressing means you didn't really look into the job you're going to be doing. Under dressing is probably worse though.
Taking off a jacket and tie is a far better problem than being the only person in the room wearing a polo shirt. Yes, you should know the company you're interviewing with, but I can guarantee you you're correct in your last sentence.

This might seem like a silly question but I wore a Polo shirt and Docker and brown leather boat shoes to talk with a Drop Zone operator and I was told by a buddy that I was way over dressed. So, the question now is, what to wear to a Mapping/Survey interview. I was planning the same thing but upgrading the shirt to one with buttons all the way down, no tie.

Ya know, one great thing about the military, you never had to think about what to wear! As a Florida beach bum banner tow pilot, its been nothing but old tee shirts and shorts! LOL! Always wear sneakers though! The grass strip has sand spurs!
I wore Khakis and a button up dress shirt (no tie) to a survey and mapping interview and got the job. You'll be fine. Just mention Navy sun angle azimuth table, yoke mounted console and coordinate space with ATC.....etc

Barged into a 135 operation wearing jeans and a star wars tshirt to ask if they are hiring. Bumped into the owner, had a brief impromptu interview with him, then a legthy one with the CP. Got a call for a follow up, stopped by TJ Maxx (my fancy corporate pilot stuff is out of state still), picked up pants and a shirt, figured shoes and belt were passable, pressed attire to perfection, ironed out the details at the follow up meeting, got an offer on the spot.
Don't overthink it.

Barged into a 135 operation wearing jeans and a star wars tshirt to ask if they are hiring. Bumped into the owner, had a brief impromptu interview with him, then a legthy one with the CP. Got a call for a follow up, stopped by TJ Maxx (my fancy corporate pilot stuff is out of state still), picked up pants and a shirt, figured shoes and belt were passable, pressed attire to perfection, ironed out the details at the follow up meeting, got an offer on the spot.
Don't overthink it.

When CP of a place I wanted a job at called asking if I could "meet with him" a few hours after dropping off a resume, I talked to some friends who worked there asking what I should wear. They told me jeans and a hoodie. I showed up the next day in black dress pants, white dress shirt, but no tie. The CP showed up in jeans and a hoodie.

Back