Interview Attire

frankgh

This might seem like a silly question but I wore a Polo shirt and Docker and brown leather boat shoes to talk with a Drop Zone operator and I was told by a buddy that I was way over dressed. So, the question now is, what to wear to a Mapping/Survey interview. I was planning the same thing but upgrading the shirt to one with buttons all the way down, no tie.

Ya know, one great thing about the military, you never had to think about what to wear! As a Florida beach bum banner tow pilot, its been nothing but old tee shirts and shorts! LOL! Always wear sneakers though! The grass strip has sand spurs!

This might seem like a silly question but I wore a Polo shirt and Docker and brown leather boat shoes to talk with a Drop Zone operator and I was told by a buddy that I was way over dressed. So, the question now is, what to wear to a Mapping/Survey interview. I was planning the same thing but upgrading the shirt to one with buttons all the way down, no tie.

Ya know, one great thing about the military, you never had to think about what to wear! As a Florida beach bum banner tow pilot, its been nothing but old tee shirts and shorts! LOL! Always wear sneakers though! The grass strip has sand spurs!
Sounds good to me. You can't overdress for an interview, you can only underdress. Looking professional will never be held against you, but the opposite certainly will. Better safe than sorry.

A good rule of thumb is to consider what the standard informal dress for doing the job is, and go one step up. If the dress code for the job is casual, wear smart casual to the interview. If the dress code is a pilots uniform or shirt/tie, wear a suit, etc.

A good rule of thumb is to consider what the standard informal dress for doing the job is, and go one step up. If the dress code for the job is casual, wear smart casual to the interview. If the dress code is a pilots uniform or shirt/tie, wear a suit, etc.
WTH is "smart casual"

Button down with some slacks and the top button undone. Shined shoes with a matching belt.

8a7d9c48e23c09de0f6dfde033715115.jpg

As far as clothing goes, a suit is a must. You need to iron/press/dry clean anything you’ll be wearing to an interview. Wear a necktie that compliments your suit. And your top shirt button should be buttoned beneath the tie.

As far as clothing goes, a suit is a must. You need to iron/press/dry clean anything you’ll be wearing to an interview. Wear a necktie that compliments your suit. And your top shirt button should be buttoned beneath the tie.
That better be a very well paying job
Besides, I happen to look intimidating in a suit and people assume I'm there to take over their business.
Most recent jet job landed in black khakis and black polo, the one before that (driving a 'van then jets) in cargo pants and polo.
Look like you belong there, act thoughtful and professional, be yourself and you'll either do alright or fail miserably trying to fit in somewhere you can't. If they need to slap some epaulets on you, they will.

Sounds good to me. You can't overdress for an interview, you can only underdress. Looking professional will never be held against you, but the opposite certainly will. Better safe than sorry.
You can absolutely overdress. I mean, I went flying in a 172 in 95F weather at my survey interview a few years ago. That suit would have made me look like a moron.
We went flying at my first turboprop charter interview to. Also would have looked like an idiot in a suit.
Overdressing means you didn't really look into the job you're going to be doing. Under dressing is probably worse though.

Back