Internship!

LOL. I don't WANT to CFI. and I am being paid very very well for my professional services as a commercial pilot.

Now, I don't feel the need to publicly boast about my pay, but if you would like to know exactly how many times more than, say, a 3rd year regional FO I am making, you can contact me by PM.

Good for you, I really mean that, there are few pilots who feel good about their pay. However, that still doesn't account for why you think you need to bash UND over industry standard, I would even argue a bit above standard, CFI pay. To make the higher end pay you either taught CFI initial or did stage checks, I was doing stage checks after 1 semester. You all know how hectic it gets around the end of a semester and how short stage check pilots can be, so there is a demand for them just not the desire from most to be one. In short, most people don't put in the effort to move up in pay they think it is owed them for simply showing up.

Good for you, I really mean that, there are few pilots who feel good about their pay. However, that still doesn't account for why you think you need to bash UND over industry standard, I would even argue a bit above standard, CFI pay. To make the higher end pay you either taught CFI initial or did stage checks, I was doing stage checks after 1 semester. You all know how hectic it gets around the end of a semester and how short stage check pilots can be, so there is a demand for them just not the desire from most to be one. In short, most people don't put in the effort to move up in pay they think it is owed them for simply showing up.

i will openly bash any business that compensates professional pilots less than a shift-manager at mcdonalds. its not restricted to UND.

and yes, i was in the right place at the right time with the right skills and right attitude to get myself into a GREAT job and i am very happy.

thats not to say it did not come without endless amounts of hard work. im not owed anything. i earn it.

You are right. Buick was referring to teaching Initial-CFI students, $23/hr. In other words, wait two years since you got your CFI cert, 200 dual given....or 400 dual / 80% passrate (or something like that, I'm forgetting already) before you're eligible to earn that much.

UND's payscale is a COMPLETE joke.

In the mean time, you'll be earning the 13.50 while you have your CFI, and 17.50 with the CFII, a misery. For you to be able to earn $23/hr, you must also be conducting stage checks. :rolleyes:

I do not want to hear ANY of you say that it's "decent pay for being in college." A JOB IS A JOB and should not be seen as a work-study Wilkerson washing-dishes thing.
plus full family medical, that lone is worth an extra 4-5/hr depending on how much you work a month.

as a student, yes the pay isn't stellar, but as an upper level instructor, it is pretty good.

It wasn't "either or." You must be initial-CFI qualified AND be conducting stage checks.

It wasn't "either or." You must be initial-CFI qualified AND be conducting stage checks.

It has changed since I was there because I never had anything other than CFII students but I did do stage checks for every course save CFI.

I agree with you. When I was flight instructing I was only making $15/hr. No benefits either. Was living in southern FL and then MD. I think the pay for UND instructors sounds pretty good. If you can find a freelance flight instructing job, it allows you to charge anywhere around 50-60/hr. I knew a check airman in Denver that would charge 100-150/hr for check rides. Thats the way to do it.

LOL. I don't WANT to CFI. and I am being paid very very well for my professional services as a commercial pilot.

Now, I don't feel the need to publicly boast about my pay, but if you would like to know exactly how many times more than, say, a 3rd year regional FO I am making, you can contact me by PM.
That sounds like a good job. What kind of job is it? Is it survey or something like part 91 charter? The pay must be pretty nice. I wish I could make more than 30-40 grand a year. Its getting tough paying back all those stupid student loans.

I would love to know who is paying more then 80K (3rd year pay is about 40k) for a 250tt pilot in a 172.:rolleyes:

That sounds like a good job. What kind of job is it? Is it survey or something like part 91 charter? The pay must be pretty nice. I wish I could make more than 30-40 grand a year. Its getting tough paying back all those stupid student loans.

its great. part 91 aerial survey as an independent contractor to a larger company. excellent per diem plus daily guarantee. great job if you dont mind living in hotels 100% of the time and being on the road for 9 months at a time.

works for me.

student loans blow!!!

its great. part 91 aerial survey as an independent contractor to a larger company. excellent per diem plus daily guarantee. great job if you dont mind living in hotels 100% of the time and being on the road for 9 months at a time.

works for me.

student loans blow!!!
Yeah I did some survey for NASA while I was living in the DC area. Pretty sweet stuff. Did low altitude passes (less than 300 ft AGL) over tree stands to measure tree top heights. It was some laser that measure carbon that they want to use on survey missions of mars. Was operating inside the DC ADIZ and FRZ. Do you fly a 172? What do the duty days look like?

Yeah I did some survey for NASA while I was living in the DC area. Pretty sweet stuff. Did low altitude passes (less than 300 ft AGL) over tree stands to measure tree top heights. It was some laser that measure carbon that they want to use on survey missions of mars. Was operating inside the DC ADIZ and FRZ. Do you fly a 172? What do the duty days look like?

during the winter due to the short days we can only fly about 4 hours of 'revenue' shooting a day... but that doesnt include ferry/transit to/from the site... or relocating... so i mean, theres no "duty day"... its get the job done, and go where you need to go.

after hurricane ike, a few of the guys put up 200 hours in 6 weeks.

Bigrig where were you at in the DC area? I was at W00 usually flew about 80 hours a month got $21.

Hom much does the average UND instructor fly? I mean average not Buick, i get the feeling Buick works like a mule!

i get the feeling Buick works like a mule!
He DOES work like a mule even if he doesn't admit it. It's normal for him. ;)

I would typically credit around 45 hours or so per pay period. The most I've credited before was 62ish hours. Others, I've seen credit as much as upper 70s which is INSANE to me.

Flight time, though, can vary based on which courses you teach. Teach 221s and you're screwed.

If you work part time can/do you get to choose how many students you get and what course to teach?

If you work part time can/do you get to choose how many students you get and what course to teach?
The former, but not the latter. They can assign you as many students as you are willing to take, part-time. However, you don't really have a "choice," per se, as to which courses you'll be teaching. If you are a CFII, chances are you will be loaded with 221 students, from my experience. If not, you'll get many 102s. If you are Initial-CFI qualified, you will MOST likely be getting many 414s.

The former, but not the latter. They can assign you as many students as you are willing to take, part-time. However, you don't really have a "choice," per se, as to which courses you'll be teaching. If you are a CFII, chances are you will be loaded with 221 students, from my experience. If not, you'll get many 102s. If you are Initial-CFI qualified, you will MOST likely be getting many 414s.

Thanks a lot for the info, I was wondering how that worked!

On the topic of internships, does any one know anything about the Weather Mod internship; I'm thinking about doing that next summer.

Angel how do you like the 75 for nothing. Pretty nice thats how my summer went got a nice tan. Welcome aboard!!!!

Back