International/ Non U.S. AirIines

I heard the hardest part were the medicals...which includes BMI requirments...anyone else hear this? (not a fan of PPRUNE btw.)

I heard the hardest part were the medicals...which includes BMI requirments...anyone else hear this? (not a fan of PPRUNE btw.)

I know that the Japanese have an astronaut medical you have to pass every 6 months. BMI, EKG, EEG (yes, brain activity), etc. Takes all day from what I hear. I have a minor arrhythmia that comes and goes (and doesn't present a problem for a US medical), but who knows what they'd do if that showed up on an EKG over there.

What's with the Brits and Aussies? I hear complaints from several foreign airline pilots about them being super uptight. Must be a culture thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Brits are usually pretty cool to fly with. They are very competent aviators; know when to have fun; and when to be serious. The Aussies, for some unknown reason, tend to be very uptight at work. Doesn't matter what profession either, it seems pretty standard. With the pilots it's not universal, some are still relaxed yet professional in the flight deck.

I have to say that I quite prefer the British attitude towards flight deck discipline over the American attitude. With Americans the worst 10% are the "cowboys" who have zero professionalism and tend to make mistakes due to carelessness. There is just no place in this industry for that.

The overall best to fly with tend to be South African and Zimbabwean pilots. Great guys, knowledgeable, professional, and yet in a relaxed manner so the flight deck doesn't feel uptight.

All just my opinion of course.

Typhoonpilot

Very intersting about the Aussies. I have found the opposite to be true. I consult for a mining company and have found them to be too relaxed for my standard with the exception of saftey on sites.

The Aussies do have quite the reputation here, but personally, all the ones I've flown with so far, both in and out of training, have been relaxed yet professional. I have heard some stories though.

Back