International/ Non U.S. AirIines

Emirates does not allow you to commute. That being said, I've run into a number of people from different European countries that do go back home every time they have 3 or more days off. Commuting to the States would be much more difficult due to the number of hours it takes to get back, especially if you have to connect through another city. I've run into one Canadian that does go back home every chance he gets, but apparently that's at most 9-10 times a year for about a week at a time not counting his vacation.

Roger thanks for the info!

I'm going to be looking at this after I get my PIC type in recurrent...very interested

The way I saw it when I interviewed at Emirates is once you got the interview invite, time or experience didn't matter and they would hire everyone in that group if they felt each individual had met the criteria. I believe everything was based on some sort of a point system for each portion of the interview. Things may have changed now, but I highly doubt it as this was just one year ago. In my opinion, if you get to the interview, you have just a good a chance at getting hired as the next guy regardless of hours or experience.

Hmm.. When did you interview? The world on the street right now is that you won't get hired without time in something around the size of a 737 or bigger.

Cathay is only recruiting Second Officers via their iCadet scheme. The gist is, there are 3 'tires' of entry. No experience, An ICAO CPL/IR, and ATP entries. There is no different in the terms and conditions, just the amount of time you spend in Adelainde. The biggest difference, and rational between the iCadet and Direct Entry Second Officer of the past, is the housing allowance. I believe you only get 10,000 HKD a month housing verses 30-60K a month the direct entry pilots get. If you are single, 10,000 will pay about half or a third of a studio or 1 bedroom in the midlevels, and surrounding downtown expat communities. So with a family and needing a 1+ bedroom apartment, it will be very tough.

I have heard good things about Air Japan (ANA Charter 767), Singapore Cargo (they now have a new contract with much better T&C, especially in regards to deadheads), FlyDubai (if you can get through the CTC assessment in London). You have the hours for Eva Airways, presently they are hiring into the 747/A330 - getting the type and a few years long haul international would be huge if you ever wanted to fly contract and make the real big bucks. I had the pleausre of talking to a Qatar crew as we were clearing immigration in YUL, and they said take all the crap about Qatar on PPRuNe with grain of sand - they seemed very happy.

Good luck - it is my goal to bust into the expat community too.

I won't rule out Qatar but I've seen a little bit of it. It's fairly western, like I imagine Dubai would be. I looked at the Eva page and found this: I thought it was worth sharing... at least if you always wanted to fly the Hello Kitty jet.

http://evakitty.evaair.com/jp/

Anyone have any info on how stringent the medical requirements are for some of these airlines that hire ex-pats? I remember hearing that the airlines out of Asia have much more strict requirements than those in the Middle East, but I don't have anything to back this up.

I have terrible uncorrected eyesight, though I am correctable to 20/20. I wonder if it would be an automatic DQ for some of these airlines...

Hmm.. When did you interview? The world on the street right now is that you won't get hired without time in something around the size of a 737 or bigger.

October of last year. I have a couple friends of mine that got hired and are in the pool that interviewed in April of this year and they were flying E170s. I know hiring has slowed down quite a bit so they may be a bit more selective now on who they're hiring or interviewing. Anyway, doesn't hurt to put your stuff in. Rumor has it they'll start interviewing for FO's again in January.

October of last year. I have a couple friends of mine that got hired and are in the pool that interviewed in April of this year and they were flying E170s. I know hiring has slowed down quite a bit so they may be a bit more selective now on who they're hiring or interviewing. Anyway, doesn't hurt to put your stuff in. Rumor has it they'll start interviewing for FO's again in January.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. Now if I could just get my logbook up to date...

Does anyone know if Etihad has any plans to ever hire non-typed pilots? I am really starting to hope for Qatar, but having travled to both Qatar and Abu Dhabi, I would much prefer to live in Abu Dhabi then Doha!

Doha is one of the most boring places on earth I've heard. Great place to save a ton of money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hence the need for larger/heavier RJs at the regionals.... to allow regional guys to go to expat with carriers with min MGTOW restrictions that traditional RJs don't meet. :cool:
Outside of regionals flying bigger jets for regional pay=bad... if there were no more 50 seat 48,000 lb. RJs and everyone flew 85,000lb 90 seat RJs, the requirements jump to 150,000 lb 150 seat jets... law of supply and demand.:bang:

Outside of regionals flying bigger jets for regional pay=bad... if there were no more 50 seat 48,000 lb. RJs and everyone flew 85,000lb 90 seat RJs, the requirements jump to 150,000 lb 150 seat jets... law of supply and demand.:bang:

It seems the market is trending in that direction.

I remember a few years ago I wrote an op/ed about the "middlesizing" of airline domestic traffic in the U.S. Seems to be going that way, after all.

It's interesting to note that some never believed there'd be a pilot shortage here because foreign pilots would just come here. With more and more carriers in the international market hiring U.S. expats, it seems just the opposite. The pilot shortage is occurring elsewhere, and we're going there. Weird.

Maybe we should start considering the piloting career something for a 'citizen of the world'? I know I grew up thinking that flying meant good money. In my Dad's day, it did. It still does- just in different markets. If you want to make money, you have to go where the money is being made, I guess.

Hence the need for larger/heavier RJs at the regionals.... to allow regional guys to go to expat with carriers with min MGTOW restrictions that traditional RJs don't meet. :cool:

Well.....more like a byproduct of larger RJs at regionals will be that there will be more pilots meeting the mins at cariers with min MGTOW restrictions.

But I see where you were going with your comment and your smiley face.

Dubai just didn't do it for me when I visited earlier this year. It was cool to visit, but its just all fake looking and has no character like the New York's, and Hong Kongs of the world. I'd much rather check out Asia too but not really sure who to look at over there. What I've heard about Cathay is that as the senior Brits and Australian captains retire, things should get less militant over there. I've heard stories of doing 8 hour flights with just staring out the window because you can read or do anything but make a little small talk. But this is all stuff I heard from my friends aunt who knows a pilot over there.

Dubai is definitely a more liveable city than either New York or Hong Kong. At least for most Americans who want to raise a family with some similarities to growing up in the USA. Dubai has beaches, parks, baseball, and lots of outdoor activities.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Cathay becoming a reasonable place to work for most people. I know quite a few Brits who hated it and left, even ones from the RAF. That said, one should pay attention to the airplane when flying. Reading a little is okay, but if you've ever flown the Kunming, Yangon, Dhaka, Calcutta corridor you'd understand that there is little time to do anything other than talk on the radio; avoid weather; and try really hard to get a higher level so you don't run out of fuel before your destination.

Typhoonpilot

What's with the Brits and Aussies? I hear complaints from several foreign airline pilots about them being super uptight. Must be a culture thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back