International Flight Support for Business Aviation

DeuceOfAces

Does anybody work, have worked, or known someone who works in trip support for Part 91/135 operators? I find myself becoming increasingly fascinated with the behind-the-scenes preparation for a cross country or international flight. This includes things such as filing flight plans, obtaining overflight permits, selecting optimum routes and/or stopover points given an aircrafts performance capabilities, the logistics of operating into secondary smaller GA Airports (london biggin hill vs. Heathrow or Teterboro vs. LGA), etc. I also know of several companies that this is routinely outsourced to - Jeppesen, Colt Aviation, Universal Weather (which as far as I can tell is the most prominent of them all), Rockwell Collins.

As a recent college graduate, I realize that this is a pretty "niche" career field. Is it a growing/thriving career choice? Or Is the industry trending towards more automation and software that'll do the majority of the trip supporter's job? And as far as required education goes, it seems like it's primarily a customer-service job so not much schoolwork required there although I'm toying with the idea of getting a dispatch license just because it can't hurt and might open other doors too.

Thoughts and opinions?

By the way, Universal Weather has set up a terrific blog on this very topic right here - http://www.universalweather.com/blog/

Yeah I know someone who worked for a company in Houston that provides such services. Actually two people now that I think about it. One of them eventually went on to dispatch at UPS so I guess the experience was valuable. I had an interview with one company that provided those services myself right out of dispatch school, but I didn't get the job. They seemed like a good company though, and they are still in business.

You might contact the guy who posted the job listing for Fair Wind Air Charter. Sounds like he might be able to give you some insight into that type of operation.

Back