Instrument Ride, no recent instruction

Drzalbm

I've been scheduled for my instrument ride in a few days. I have not received flight instruction (in an airplane) in the past 2 calendar months but have received ground instruction. My CFII is at the regionals and is no longer with my school so flying with him hasn't been an option. My question is, is ground instruction sufficient? Am I totally boned?

Thanks in advance.

Whether or not you meet the requirements of the check ride....

It sounds crazy to me to attempt any check ride with that lack of recency.

Since you are looking to take the practical test, have you looked at the requirements for it? Does the reg answer your question?

61.65(d) Aeronautical experience for the instrument-airplane rating. A person who applies for an instrument-airplane rating must have logged:
(i) Three hours of instrument flight training from an authorized instructor in an airplane that is appropriate to the instrument-airplane rating within 2 calendar months before the date of the practical test; and
***​

Got it, thanks. My next question is, will I need to start from scratch with a new instructor in order for him to endorse me? Or if we fly the required 3 hours and he deems I'm ready to go, I'm good? My original CFII has moved on.

Got it, thanks. My next question is, will I need to start from scratch with a new instructor in order for him to endorse me? Or if we fly the required 3 hours and he deems I'm ready to go, I'm good? My original CFII has moved on.

No, any authorized instructor is fine. As you presumably already have the endorsement to take the practical test, the only thing you need is 3 hours of logged dual instruction, and the 61.39 endorsement that you meet all of the prerequisites for the test. (a rather superfluous endorsement in my opinion, but if you were ready for the test 3 months ago, you should still be ready after 3 hours of additional instruction).

Depends a bit on the CFI.

Ultimately, the CFI has to be satisfied you are ready (assuming at least the IACRA needs to be "signed". Assuming you are, those three hours should be more than enough in combination with a good ground session to be satisfied.

Wow, your CFII sure really failed you. Did he at least notify you that he was applying to the airlines? At least a heads up would be nice. Back in the early to mid 2000s when the regional were hiring like crazy, I have flown with a bunch of CFIs and that has always set me back. I remember one CFI I was flying with was there for not even 3 months and he got hired for a regional company. Back when all you need is 500TT and 50 hours MEL time.

Wow, your CFII sure really failed you. Did he at least notify you that he was applying to the airlines? At least a heads up would be nice. Back in the early to mid 2000s when the regional were hiring like crazy, I have flown with a bunch of CFIs and that has always set me back. I remember one CFI I was flying with was there for not even 3 months and he got hired for a regional company. Back when all you need is 500TT and 50 hours MEL time.
Unfortunately he did not, I had to find out from another cfi in passing.

I totally understand the younger CFIs come and go. I would do the same if I was teaching just building hours for that airline pilot position. Anyway, good luck on your checkride. I had a blast doing it.

Didn't realize you are 141, thanks.
Thanks!

I'm not sure exactly, it's a 141 school where certain amounts of flight experience requirements can be completed in the sim.
Did you comply with 61.71? If you were a graduate of a 141 instrument course you would have had to pass the checkride within 60 days of the graduation date, not the previous 2 calendar months. Did your 141 school issue you another graduation certificate within the previous 60 days or did you have part 61 minimums. Congratulations none the less.

Back