Instructing in Powered Parachute

SatelliteBeachPilot

I have my CFI and was wondering what I would need to do to instruct in a powered parachute. My dad has one and needs to get his Sport Pilot license since they made it mandatory for everyone now flying ultralights to hold a Sport License (which is ridiculous b/c he only flies 5 miles at the most from his private airstrip and ranch).

As far as he knows there is only 1 person in Florida who instructs in them and he charges $200/hr and you have to supply the powered parachute.

What do I need to do to legally instruct him in his own ultralight?

I have my CFI and was wondering what I would need to do to instruct in a powered parachute. My dad has one and needs to get his Sport Pilot license since they made it mandatory for everyone now flying ultralights to hold a Sport License (which is ridiculous b/c he only flies 5 miles at the most from his private airstrip and ranch).

As far as he knows there is only 1 person in Florida who instructs in them and he charges $200/hr and you have to supply the powered parachute.

What do I need to do to legally instruct him in his own ultralight?

What is it? A Ultralight or a Powered Parachute?
www.sportpilot.org has a bunch of information.

thanks, that was a helpful site, looks like they want me to jump through hoops for it. No wonder my dad and his friends are so pissed off about this new sport pilot rule, half of them said F it and quit!

First off, who gives you the right to come on here and demand answers?

I mean, who do you think you are?

j/k good luck with your parachute jeff, Ill stick to wings and an engine lol

I really don't mean to be an ass but did you look in the FARs? Right in section 61 there is subpart K "Flight Instructor with a Sport Pilot Rating" and under that section there is 61.411(g) that tells you the flight time you will need for what you are looking for. As stated before I am really not trying to be mean, but before you (especially CFIs) ask questions on here you should take 30 seconds to pull out your FAR/AIM and check 61/91.

Either way that being said I believe you will find everything you need from 61.401-61.431. Read through those sections thoroughly, any questions beyond that research on google briefly, and then come to forums to ask more specific/obscure questions.

Good luck bud and yes it is pretty ridiculous what the new regulations state and I hope that this regulation, like the regulation on known icing implemented back in 2005 (if I remember right), will be changed back in a few years. At the very least hopefully they can change it to grandfather in those that have been flying light sport aircraft for years so they don't get shafted.

Yes, I own a FAR/AIM. No, I did not have one in my possession when I posted this and when I was asked what I needed to do to instruct.

"I don't mean to be mean", then turn around a make an arsehole comment.

This is a message board, for CFI's. Maybe I thought there was someone on here who instructed in them and wanted their input. It must suck being you.

Good luck bud and yes it is pretty ridiculous what the new regulations state and I hope that this regulation, like the regulation on known icing implemented back in 2005 (if I remember right), will be changed back in a few years. At the very least hopefully they can change it to grandfather in those that have been flying light sport aircraft for years so they don't get shafted.

'The' known ice LOI was 'updated' with a less restrictive interpretation a couple of years back. Thing was it was a LOI, not a FAR. FARs change much slower.

Yes, I own a FAR/AIM. No, I did not have one in my possession when I posted this and when I was asked what I needed to do to instruct.

"I don't mean to be mean", then turn around a make an arsehole comment.

This is a message board, for CFI's. Maybe I thought there was someone on here who instructed in them and wanted their input. It must suck being you.

Get 'em, Get 'em. LOL!:laff::laff:

I really don't mean to be an a** but did you look in the FARs?
I'm going to take it that you really mean the first part of that sentence, and gently let you know that it sounds that way. This is a CFI forum and I, for one, was interested in his question, as many were. The whole Sport Pilot thing is a little new to us. Maybe not to you. Are you a Sport Pilot Instructor?

It is common for us to refer students to FAR's and not 'spoon feed', but that is a 'tool' to be used at the approprate time. If your information isn't given in a pleasant tone, the student will not hear it.

Keep the communication open.;)

thanks, that was a helpful site, looks like they want me to jump through hoops for it. No wonder my dad and his friends are so pissed off about this new sport pilot rule, half of them said F it and quit!

After reading this thread I wonder if this was seriously helpful to you...
LOL - sorry, when I looked for Sportpilot stuff I found almost all answers in the website I posted. Not that I ever considered instructing in, ontop, beneath or strapped to anything that closely resembles a parachute... :D

Looks like as long as it has wings attached to it your CFI-A will be enabling you to do anything you please. Unfortunately it may cost you quite a bunch of money to get ready to instruct him how to fly a PP.

However, good luck & no, I don't always look for the regulation first, I keep that for working with students (if it's about regs we always find out "where to find this information") so forgive me if my response didn't sound sincere to you. Wasn't meant that way. ;)

The whole Sport Pilot thing is a little new to us. Maybe not to you. Are you a Sport Pilot Instructor?

No I am not a sport pilot instructor but I am familiar with FAR Part 61 being for certification.

Yes, I own a FAR/AIM. No, I did not have one in my possession when I posted this

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/faa_regulations/ - enough said on that.

Maybe I thought there was someone on here who instructed in them and wanted their input.

If you unable to take 5 minutes of your own time to look up a basic regulation why should anyone take time to answer it? Your lucky people in this field are inherently nicer than other fields, your not a student anymore your a paid professional CFI and should be able to to basic research on your own. Had you been a student asking this than fine everyone has to start somewhere and thats what we are here for, but sir your a 'professional' flight instructor.

For instance if you asked a question like, "I am interested in getting a powered parachute sport pilots instructor license, I have read 61.411(g) and see that I need 50 hours in powered parachute. Would anyone have an insight on a cost effective way to build this time? I am currently a fixed wing CFI." That shows that you spend a couple minutes on your own with this and it wasn't some random epiphany you had and expect someone to just grab you by the hand and walk you through.

Edit: Satellite, this isn't meant to bash on you it is meant for all CFIs that read this. As an educator you need to be someone who is willing to do some work on your own, if you don't then you can't expect your students to do anything for you. The question you asked would be the same as a 2000 hour professional commercial pilot coming on here and saying "how do I get my ATP?"

Finally, if you won't do research on your own for something so simple then I wonder how you can ever expect any of your students to do any of the work you assign...

PS Laziness in this field can get you killed or violated.

No I am not a sport pilot instructor but I am familiar with FAR Part 61 being for certification.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/faa_regulations/ - enough said on that.

If you unable to take 5 minutes of your own time to look up a basic regulation why should anyone take time to answer it? Your lucky people in this field are inherently nicer than other fields, your not a student anymore your a paid professional CFI and should be able to to basic research on your own. Had you been a student asking this than fine everyone has to start somewhere and thats what we are here for, but sir your a 'professional' flight instructor.

For instance if you asked a question like, "I am interested in getting a powered parachute sport pilots instructor license, I have read 61.411(g) and see that I need 50 hours in powered parachute. Would anyone have an insight on a cost effective way to build this time? I am currently a fixed wing CFI." That shows that you spend a couple minutes on your own with this and it wasn't some random epiphany you had and expect someone to just grab you by the hand and walk you through.

Edit: Satellite, this isn't meant to bash on you it is meant for all CFIs that read this. As an educator you need to be someone who is willing to do some work on your own, if you don't then you can't expect your students to do anything for you. The question you asked would be the same as a 2000 hour professional commercial pilot coming on here and saying "how do I get my ATP?"

Finally, if you won't do research on your own for something so simple then I wonder how you can ever expect any of your students to do any of the work you assign...

PS Laziness in this field can get you killed or violated.

Wow buddy! From looking at your postcount and your general tone and attitude you must be a really "professional" comrade!

I do not know if they teach this "hard hat required" attitude over at Daniel Webster or not - but I'd really recommend toning it down some. You are definately not talking to, or about a bunch of helpless "ding dongs" stumbleing over each others unprofessionalism. Really strange.

They only teach us to look things up and when we ask basic questions they send us to the books. I never called anyone helpless :) I also still gave the information he needed. There is just no nice way that I am familiar with to say "go do some of your own research first." No matter how it is said it will come off like I am trying to be an a** when I am simply trying to get across that as a professional CFI you need to be willing to do research too.

You know this is a message board for people to post and to learn from. His question, though i agree could easily been looked up, sparked a conversation. Without his question and some of the following discusion i probaly NEVER would have looked at sport pilot stuff OR powered parachute stuff on my own. This isn't just a place for questions and answers...it's a place for discusion, even if the answer is simple.

This isn't just a place for questions and answers...it's a place for discussion, even if the answer is simple.

OK than sorry for getting everyone so worked up, was not the intent. Also sorry Satellite for being the target of that post, again it wasn't meant as a personal bash on you, you just happened to provide a good example for a point I was trying and apparently failed to make. :) Good luck with getting your rating.

They only teach us to look things up and when we ask basic questions they send us to the books. I never called anyone helpless :) I also still gave the information he needed. There is just no nice way that I am familiar with to say "go do some of your own research first." No matter how it is said it will come off like I am trying to be an a** when I am simply trying to get across that as a professional CFI you need to be willing to do research too.

The "friendliest" way to let someone know that he/ she needs to conduct further research is to simply post a "link"... like:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ftqbngDg&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

It shows the reader in a very nonconfrontational way that the responder was able to secure/ attain certain knowledge by conducting research.
If that helps, fine. If not, we move on to friendly information exchange I like to call: "advice"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS323&q=define:advise&btnG=Search

Then, when the discussion starts, progresses and suddenly ends we experience the feeling of our participation having been: "senseless"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS323&q=define:senseless&btnG=Search

There. :cwm27:

Back