Inflight Meals

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I wonder if the airline catering companies are getting their food from the same folks who provided the dorms with food in college. One night when I was stumbling home in the wee hours of the morning, I saw them unloading food for the cafeteria. Now, I was pretty messed up (eight hours definitely wouldn't have been enough, let's put it like that) but I saw the boxes labeled with "Grade D but edible."

[/ QUOTE ]

In college, we bought a pizza from the on-campus snack bar, and it sucked. So, we tossed it outside of our dorm room. All night, raccoons and skunks ate all kinds of crap out of the garbage, but none ate the pizza. You know it is bad when a scavenger would rather eat garbage than your pizza!
shocked.gif

When I was in college, the meat they used in the dorm cafeterias was the same grade of meat used in pet food. Yes, edible, but that was about it.

I worked a couple of summers for Dobbs International Services (they make the airline meals for several major airlines, or at least used to in those days.) In general, for most airlines, in economy class, the food was actually not cooked, it was basically frozen TV dinner type stuff. I had to haul it out of the freezers ("okay, for this flight we need 4 cases of cheese lasagna, and 2 cases of chicken alfredo") I think we kept frozen foods in storage up to three months before throwing them away.

For Business and First Class, however, the food was cooked by real chefs. Also some of the international carriers (Singapore airlines and China Airlines for instance) had all their food cooked by chefs, regardless of class. I once got to taste some of the food they were preparing as a sample
for one of China Airlines upcoming menu cycles, and it was actually pretty good, about the quality of an okay-quality Chinese restaurant.

p.s. The silverware in those pics looks like First class...one of my jobs was filling the salt and silver shakers and they looked just like that.

[ QUOTE ]
[
In college, we bought a pizza from the on-campus snack bar, and it sucked. So, we tossed it outside of our dorm room. All night, raccoons and skunks ate all kinds of crap out of the garbage, but none ate the pizza. You know it is bad when a scavenger would rather eat garbage than your pizza!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hang it on the wall?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hang it on the wall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that particular pizza, but we did hang one that a certain pilot/webmaster put in the oven and left cooking while he remembered he was supposed to be on a cross-country... Six hours later or so when he landed, the pizza more closely resembled something like a cross between a discuss and a hockey puck...
grin.gif

Ahh yes,the pizza!

That thing is probably still intact in some landfill in northern Arizona due to there only being carbon remnants!

[ QUOTE ]
Not that particular pizza, but we did hang one that a certain pilot/webmaster put in the oven and left cooking while he remembered he was supposed to be on a cross-country... Six hours later or so when he landed, the pizza more closely resembled something like a cross between a discuss and a hockey puck...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
So that's why they dont let us have ovens!

I thought it was to prevent us from cooking something ourselves and thus having a descent alternative to cafeteria tuna sandwiches.

Back