Indonesia, SE Asia help if you need it......

You guys gotta check this out! Funny ! It's a new TV show about flying in Indonesia called, "Worst Place to be a Pilot"! Haha! It follows young British pilots flying for.......Susi Air! LMAO!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/worst-place-to-be-a-pilot/episode-guide

@Ricardo72 About 3 weeks total, studying, exam, paperwork

@jskibo Wasn't me! :)
Heres a guy that is in the show with some of his youtube video

https://m.youtube.com/user/davelongdon

Looks like an interesting place to fly!

Thanks! Found Air Jaun (Van Operator) while on my Honeymoon in Palawan. Shot them a resume, Will check out the others!

I considered getting a job in the Philippines myself, there are a lot of little Island hoppers and GA is pretty popular, not to mention the people are amazing.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I married one this month, so it makes it an easier decision :)

It`s funny we have plenty of them here, Suriname (South America), mostly working as nurses in the catholic hospitals and the mens in the oil and logging industry. I lived all over the world and dated all sort of women, but yeah I think a Filipino will really take good care of you, they still have some values that are totally lost in the western world. Congratulations.

At my previous job, flying for an Island resort in the South Pacific we had a Filipino chef, he use to make this Roasted Pork, OMG...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!

What are the living conditions like in Indo? Things to do around?

You get a ton of time off at SUSI Air, most of it is unpaid, you can either travel the region or go home. To give you an example a friend of mine working there as an FO already had a total of 2 months off this year, more to come..

The living conditions vary from base to base, it`s a very vast country made up of so many Islands. The big cities are very polluted and crowded, but you have very good night life and western commodities. In most isolated areas all you have is your coworkers and what the housing provides.

Food requires a bit of adaptation, other then maybe for the Jakarta base, in most of the places you won't be able to cook for yourself, or even buy groceries.

You will live out of a suitcase as they will move you around constantly.

Money is not much if you have to pay for a loan back home, the top as FO is around 1300 US, food, housing and transportation is provided. Top as Capt is just over 3000 US, Top at the company is in the 5000 range (Pilatus guys).

Living there will require an attitude change from what you are use to in the US. I'm telling you this because I have seen many Americans give up and leave back when I was there in 2009.

This is a bit of more personal advise, if you have a family in the US or even just a serious relationship, it will be very hard to make it work, I have done that and I have seen relationship falling apart (so did mine). Forget about bringing your family with you. Not sure what are the current regulations but back in 2009 the company would not allow female guests in the pilot housing. Plenty of pilots have local girlfriends.

Last edited:
You get a ton of time off at SUSI Air, most of it is unpaid, you can either travel the region or go home. To give you an example a friend of mine working there as an FO already had a total of 2 months off this year, more to come..

The living conditions vary from base to base, it`s a very vast country made up of so many Islands. The big cities are very polluted and crowded, but you have very good night life and western commodities. In most isolated areas all you have is your coworkers and what the housing provides.

Food requires a bit of adaptation, other then maybe for the Jakarta base, in most of the places you won't be able to cook for yourself, or even buy groceries.

You will live out of a suitcase as they will move you around constantly.

Money is not much if you have to pay for a loan back home, the top as FO is around 1300 US, food, housing and transportation is provided. Top as Capt is just over 3000 US, Top at the company is in the 5000 range (Pilatus guys).

Living there will require an attitude change from what you are use to in the US. I'm telling you this because I have seen many Americans give up and leave back when I was there in 2009.

This is a bit of more personal advise, if you have a family in the US or even just a serious relationship, it will be very hard to make it work, I have done that and I have seen relationship falling apart (so did mine). Forget about bringing your family with you. Not sure what are the current regulations but back in 2009 the company would not allow female guests in the pilot housing. Plenty of pilots have local girlfriends.

Very good advice and all still pertinent. Dont know about the current salaries but would imagine about the same. If you're a low time guy, it's a very good opportunity and get to experience a rich and varied culture. I love it here. The family advice is spot on. Don't even try if you value it. Trust me.

Watched the 3 episodes that are posted on YT. Not too bad for an aviation program. Much better than airplane repo.....

I watched all of them as well and thought it was very well done. Welcome to the forum Eric!

I just submitted a resume. I hold an FAA commercial single engine certificate near minimums but hopefully i'll hear something back. I've been to indo before and love the country.

I just submitted a resume. I hold an FAA commercial single engine certificate near minimums but hopefully i'll hear something back. I've been to indo before and love the country.

To Susi Air? Did you get all the other things done beforehand that they require for you to submit along with your resume?

Affirm Susi Air but Negative on the completeness: I Mistakenly interpreted what they meant to include as part of the application as being simply qualifications to apply. I meet all of them except the 250 hrs (I have 211 + 50 sim). I should obtain an examiners report (never heard of that except in part 135 checkrides) and the rest of the documents(driver's license or pilot's record not sure which they are referring to?), scanned in a pdf and submit it again when I reach 250. Do you think the 250 is hard minimum?

Definitely a hard minimum and because you didn't include everything they require, your resume went straight to the garbage. Guaranteed.

I'm currently with PT ASI Pudjiastuti (Susi Air) any questions regarding the outfit may be directed to me here or my inbox.

Hi NoJoy. As an employee of Susi Air, how does a pilot legally work in Indo? Do they pay for you to obtain a working KITAS or is there a way around it by having you work for two months then send you out of the country to do a visa run? I have been on a few surf trips to Indo and have wanted to figure out a way to live there and work legally. I love the culture, food and land, but I know actually working there would be a difference experience. I'm about to take my multi and single engine commercial check rides in California and am very interested in Susi Air. Could you shed some light on how a foreigner is able to work in Indonesia, and what your typical schedule is like? Thank you.

Hi NoJoy. As an employee of Susi Air, how does a pilot legally work in Indo? Do they pay for you to obtain a working KITAS or is there a way around it by having you work for two months then send you out of the country to do a visa run? I have been on a few surf trips to Indo and have wanted to figure out a way to live there and work legally. I love the culture, food and land, but I know actually working there would be a difference experience. I'm about to take my multi and single engine commercial check rides in California and am very interested in Susi Air. Could you shed some light on how a foreigner is able to work in Indonesia, and what your typical schedule is like? Thank you.

You only get a full work/residency permit after the first year of employment, before that you are on a business Visa that has to be renewed with a trip abroad every 60 days.

If you are into surfing you will love it working there, many bases with great waves are not on the route of the surf tourism. There are several pilots that left the company to start a surfing/guesthouse business' there.

Back