Indonesia, SE Asia help if you need it......

wdwatts

Director of Flight Operations, ATP, TRI/TRE
Hey Guys,

Haven't posted anything for a while. Thought I'd let you all know I am currently the Training Captain for PT Travira Air out of Jakarta, Indonesia, flying a King Air 350i all over SE Asia and training Indonesian pilots in it as well.

I have been here for a year and a half, know all about living and flying over here, the airlines, Suzi Air, corporate, charter, visas, immigration, do's and don'ts, what to do, where to go, etc.

So if any of you have questions, ask here and I'll answer for all. Don't ask about job openings as if there ever are any that I know of, this forum would be the first and only place I post it. Here and the Job Openings thread.

Hope all of you are well.

Cheers,

wd,

You'll be a valuable source of info here. Without reference to any specific job openings, what sort of total flight times do you see being required for expats over there ? And are all ICAO licenses generally accepted ?

And, if a license conversion is required, how difficult is the process ? Thanks.

Required flight times vary greatly depending on the job. You can get on with Suzi Air with just your commercial, 400 hours. And all the airlines out here will hire you with very little time.....if you have the type rating. That being said, pay with them sucks ass, although they put you up in a hotel/apartment and help cover expenses. Either of those options is for building time really, IMO. Corporate jobs here are very hard to come by, and you need about the same hours as in the USA.

ATPL and ATP along with Indonesian are accepted for sure, and after you study and take an exam, pass all your part 121 or 135 training, etc. the DGCA (FAA) issue you a license validation. Others are accepted depending on the situation and need, but pretty much if it's a legal license, they most likely will accept it with the validation. I studied for about a week and passed the exam, no problem. They don't accept any other training (accept FSI, recurrent, etc.) so you spend a few weeks doing all the 121/135 stuff, including water survival and a helo dunker LOL! They do accept your medical. 1st Class medical is good for a year here fyi.

Suzi Air just posted this on Findapilot.com:

https://www.findapilot.com/job/145278-cessna-caravan-pilot-part-135-

Here's what it says:

Cessna Caravan Pilot Part 135 - Jakarta
Charter - Susi Air Verified: 05/26/14

Aircraft: Cessna Caravan
Compensation: not specified
Name: Cap. Nader
Phone: +62 811 212 3916
Email: deputy.doo@susiair.com www.susiair.com
Apply Now
Requirements
Aircraft: Cessna Caravan
Min Total Time: 750
Commercial Pilot , Instrument Rated, First Class Medical, Minimum of 750 hours flight time ( Do Not NEED to have any Turbine Engine Time)

Description
We are looking for highly motivated and adventurous pilots to join our fast growing company in Indonesia. We are the only large operator with large fleet of Cessna Caravans, Pilatus Porters that provides passenger and cargo service with coverage to the most of remote areas in Indonesia. This is a great opportunity to build up hours in a turbine aircraft and establish the grounds for upgrading to larger aircraft. We have a very modern full simulator and an advanced training program where we train our pilots by Part 135 standards. All living expenses such as housing, food, transportation, will be covered by us. You will be part of a multi international environment. All the pilots and most of administration team are from different countries around the globe.

So, contact us if you meet our minimum requirements

May I ask what kind of their medical examination is? Does it like the medical you get in the U.S or more strict? I have issue with the color blind test when I read the test on google, but I have no problem to pass the first medical in the U.S.

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted anything for a while. Thought I'd let you all know I am currently the Training Captain for PT Travira Air out of Jakarta, Indonesia, flying a King Air 350i all over SE Asia and training Indonesian pilots in it as well.

I have been here for a year and a half, know all about living and flying over here, the airlines, Suzi Air, corporate, charter, visas, immigration, do's and don'ts, what to do, where to go, etc.

So if any of you have questions, ask here and I'll answer for all. Don't ask about job openings as if there ever are any that I know of, this forum would be the first and only place I post it. Here and the Job Openings thread.

Hope all of you are well.

Cheers,

Thanks for your post and offer for advice. I've been to SE Asia three times now and I'd like to live there for at least a little while, are there any reputable Embraer Legacy or 145 operators down that way? I currently fly it for a regional here in the USA, FAA certs, ATP, PIC type, 1200+ time on type flying as SIC...

Last edited:
@Sam1234 Medical: You can get an Indonesian medical which is more thorough including running on a treadmill while connected to an EKG LOL! but is basically the same, or if you have an FAA license validated by the DGCA here, you can get an FAA medical from one of the doctors here. Note that a 1st class medical is good for a year here, not 6 months.

@HVYMETALDRVR I don't know of any off hand, but often see some in the RSS feeds on here.

WDWATTS, thank you for giving us the chance to ask you about aviation on that part of the world.
Let me ask you something: I hold a Canadian CPL License, I wonder if with this Licence I will be able to work/fly in Indonesia, or however I should do a local license conversion?
Just finished my training back in Canada so I have not much flight experience though, do I have any chance to land a job?
Thx in advance.

@Ricardo72 Canadian License works, just need to get it validated by going through all the 135/121 training, studying Indonesian Air Law (eg: FAA FAR's) and taking a written exam, passing with a 75% or better.

As long as you have your commercial and 750 (FO only 250, see below) hours, you can get hired tomorrow with Susi Air as I mentioned earlier, build time. The Indonesian FO I fly with most of the time had his commercial with about 300 total hours, only wore 2 stripes for the first year, and was/is an SIC qualified FO on the King Air 350i, from Flight Safety in the States. You won't make a lot of money, but you'll be flying turbines, Caravans, and getting a lot of good experience.

Talk to @NoJoy if you want to know more about Susi Air.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just found this on Aviation.me about Susi Air so the one above must be for Captains as they only require 250 hours to start as an FO:

C208 Non Type Rated First Officers Susi Air Indonesia

Susi Air is currently accepting applications from C208 Non Type Rated First Officers.
Minimum requirements:
  • Minimum 250 hours
  • At least ICAO CPL SEL / IR (Current). FAA mother license is preferable.
  • 1st class medical (current), no restriction except for corrective glasses.
  • Free from any form of color blindness - Indonesian authority only accept the Isihara Color Blind Test.
  • Minimum of level 5 ICAO English proficiency test.

If you are interested in this job APPLY HERE

Do you guys ever actually read the RSS Feeds from here in the job section?

@jskibo Yes, and Malaysia, and Vietnam, and Thailand, and Papua New Guinea, and Australia............ right now in the RSS feeds are Lion Air hiring FO's in Indonesia (local men only LOL), Susi Air Captains and FO's in Indonesia, Cebu Airlines hiring for A330's in Philippines, some Bible thumping Jesus program flying in Papua New Guinea............

Sitting in Cavite, Philippines for the next two weeks. Loading a page on the phone takes long enough, RSS when I'm back in the first world.

Thanks though!

@Ricardo72 Canadian License works, just need to get it validated by going through all the 135/121 training, studying Indonesian Air Law (eg: FAA FAR's) and taking a written exam, passing with a 75% or better.

As long as you have your commercial and 750 (FO only 250, see below) hours, you can get hired tomorrow with Susi Air as I mentioned earlier, build time. The Indonesian FO I fly with most of the time had his commercial with about 300 total hours, only wore 2 stripes for the first year, and was/is an SIC qualified FO on the King Air 350i, from Flight Safety in the States. You won't make a lot of money, but you'll be flying turbines, Caravans, and getting a lot of good experience.

Talk to @NoJoy if you want to know more about Susi Air.

Cheers!

Thanks @wdwatts, nice piece of info. By any chance do you know how long it will take to get my license validated???

I'm showing a missed call from Indonesia this morning at 2:17am Manila time, would be 2:17pm east coast.

No message though. Hmmmm

Back