In today’s wtf aviation moment

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Worked an emergency 182 into CDW today because he left the fuel ladder wedged between the strut and fuselage somehow and didn’t realize it til he was climbing out of 3000’. Apparently only damage was a small dent in the fuselage. Shut down rwy 22 for a good 20 min though. Some people never cease to amaze.

Something about C182 pilots…

dude think he was on a cannonball run?

Something about C182 pilots…

What about us 182 pilots? (Formally)

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

I don’t even understand how it happened or how the ladder stayed there.

Why did it shut down the runway?

pics just came in, only post-ladder unfortunately. Looks like he ran it over and it got hung on the skirt. Damage probably happened during landing. Shut down the runway cause he couldn’t taxi with it there and FOD check.
1816CE5A-F5DB-4B7F-8A1F-1A2C34578AA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Worked an emergency 182 into CDW today because he left the fuel ladder wedged between the strut and fuselage somehow and didn’t realize it til he was climbing out of 3000’. Apparently only damage was a small dent in the fuselage. Shut down rwy 22 for a good 20 min though. Some people never cease to amaze.

Where did he take from, CDW?

Surprised a busy airport like that, no one saw him that way before takeoff.

a student at my school hit a bird the size of a football, had a huge dent in the wing, and says he didn't realize he hit anything. Their sleeping at the wheel dude. It's only gonna get worse.

pics just came in, only post-ladder unfortunately. Looks like he ran it over and it got hung on the skirt. Damage probably happened during landing. Shut down the runway cause he couldn’t taxi with it there and FOD check.
View attachment 60840
I’ve been looking at this picture for five minutes… Right wheel looking aft… I still don’t get it. I’m sure more pictures are coming.

Had I been the pilot I would have landed saying I had to poop.

Last edited:

Where I live, a NOTAM is published that the runway/ airport is closed until the disabled aircraft is cleared and someone from the airport authority can do a FOD check.

A guy tried this at my flight school one day, but caught it after taxiing about 10 yards.

It was with one of my CFIs on board.

I'd say that pilot
That pilot is a step above other pilots.

You know what I like about low wings? You'd never see the ladder. Some guy would be standing in his backyard wondering how a tadder got in his pool.

I hit a starling on takeoff and the thump was clearly noticeable. How do you not notice a ladder?

Back