In cruise flight along the Atlantic Route

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the plane could take it, afterall 30 year old Lockeed Electrias punch through huricanes on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hurricanes and TRWs are vastly different animals. Hurricanes are horizontal winds with liquid H2O. Aircraft transition to 150+ kt winds in the jetstream every day. Thunderstorms are a high velocity vertical sheer with the possiblity of SOLID H20. It is always better penetrate near the bottom than the top of a TRW. The (certified)ceiling on a P-3 is approx FL280. So even at max altitude they would have penetrated the bottom half, I doubt they were above 10,000 though.

Our aircraft is FAR25 certified. Max G loads in cruise are -1.0 to +2.7
Max turbulent air penetration 300kts/.90 Mach
VA at FL410 approx 250 KIAS

Don't do it.

Stay clear of the storms. If you can backtrack and deviate so as to avoid the warning areas do so. If you have to land short, land short.

If you goof and get yourself in a corner, declare the emergency, let the controller know where you are going and go there.

Bottom line don't penetrate a TRW.

is this talk about water and green goo is making me.......................HUNGRY!
mad.gif

Dispatch has to be consulted before any drastic action is taken. You should see this coming in advance to give you enough to to talk it over with them and THEN make your descion.

I would do the 180 and power back to save some fuel. We might be a little late, but we would clear the storms, and still have plenty of fuel when we land at KBOS.

I would say to do the 180 and backtrack. The declare "minimum fuel" to see if you can get some more direct routing once clear of the T-storms. Perhaps you can get a direct routing and make up a portion of the time.

Re: In cruise flight long the Atlantic Route

If there was a way I would climb over the weather or find an alltitude when the weather wouldn't be so severe. It is not like the severe weather is going to go from 5,000FT to like FL390. There has to be a FL that the weather is not so severe.

[ QUOTE ]
If there was a way I would climb over the weather or find an alltitude when the weather wouldn't be so severe. It is not like the severe weather is going to go from 5,000FT to like FL390. There has to be a FL that the weather is not so severe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's exactly what T-Storms do, Brian! They go from low altitudes allllll the way up!!! Pretty incredible stuff!!!

Yeah. I think SkyWestChris had some pictures not too long ago from around FL390, and he was looking UP at the T-storms. They can go WAY higher than most aircraft.

IF you check out this radar summary chart, Brian, you'll see some good examples of crappy convective activity. This was just a couple of hours ago. Activity in TX, NM and OK with tops well above the altitude that most airliners can handle!!

If you look over North-Central Florida, climbing over FL560 is out of the question!!!!

radarsum.jpg

Thanks for the lesson. It is some amazing stuff how high these storms go. Now I would change my perspective. Maybe I could head directly West and then north and work my way around the storm.

Many storms can go from 3000-6000 feet at the bottom to 35000 to 70000 at the top. Yes, I've seen tops reported at FL700!

[ QUOTE ]
If you look over North-Central Florida, climbing over FL560 is out of the question!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and I can tell you first hand, those clouds were DARK! Lots of lightning, but very little rain. Guess that's a good thing since I was working yesterday.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I think SkyWestChris had some pictures not too long ago from around FL390, and he was looking UP at the T-storms. They can go WAY higher than most aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

heres a view from FL370 i got flying right seat in a citation a couple weeks back. We were deviating for storms that entire trip
smile.gif

(click for bigger)

Back