I'm buying a Cessna 152!

I\'m buying a Cessna 152!

I'm buying a Cessna 152! I went through AOPA for all of the financing and insurance, and it was quite painless believe it or not. We close on Friday, and all of my stuff is done. Like I said, it's pretty easy. It's IFR, and flies straight. I like the radios, and it's got a Garmin Audio Panel. There is some minor corrosion, but nothing major.

Re: I\'m buying a Cessna 152!

don't forget to get that tail inspected!

congrats and good luck. what sort of IFR stuff you got?

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
and flies straight

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonus!
tongue.gif

Congrats!
cool.gif

now you just gotta get the STC for the IO-360 engine! That ought to get you about 1500fpm in one of those...

KX-155, KX-170, and the usual pitot-static stuff. No DME, which I kind of wanted, but I can live without it, and they cost a lot more than a hand-held GPS. Trade-A-Plane has DME's for 1,500. I can get a much nicer hand-held for a third of the price.

While a handheld is probably more useful, you legally can't shoot approaches to DME mins even though the handheld GPS you will get is probably more accurate. Kinda sucks that's how things are setup eh?

Congrats on the purchase!

What year and how much did you pay? Also what kind of terms and payment on the loan? One more thing, how much for insurance? Just curious...ILS

Basic AOPA financing, I could have gotten a better term on my own, but I like sticking with AOPA. Roughly 10%.

Insurance on a 1979 C-152 is 584 bucks a year, also through AOPA. I paid a little over 21K. I think I got a good deal.

C-150's go for a little less, but I like the O-235.

How much time SMOH is on the engine? Do you expect to sell the plane before the next major overhaul is due?

Engine time is 600 hours, and airframe is 6,500 hours. The Elevator bushings are nice and tight, the flaps are loose, but they don't feel out of spec, but if they are, the bushings are easy to replace. 1 hour for all four. If the flap tracks are worn, that's about three hours, and quite a bit more money. But I don't think it will come to that.

Sounds like you got a good deal at 21K for a fairly low time engine and decent radios. I think you'll be way ahead of most JCer's in the end when overall costs of building experience and ratings is concerned. I have a 152 and it's a fine machine. Don't get a DME...you can get a KLN89B off of ebay for less and it will do more.

That is awesome!

[ QUOTE ]
the flaps are loose, but they don't feel out of spec, but if they are, the bushings are easy to replace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that most owners rarely use flaps (unless they have too) brakes are cheaper to replace then a flap motor.

Don - I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) he is flying the only sideways seat that does not flush on the 727.

since we're talkin about aiplane buying. I'm currently lookin at 150 thats listed on ebay. (before you say dont get one through ebay, don't worry i wouldn't buy it through ebay) the plane is only about 10 miles away and i have talked to the owner a few times. He wants 15,000 for it. Here are the specs

[ QUOTE ]
1973 Cessna 150L, TT 5482 hrs, TTE 1587 hrs, new prop 243 hrs, STOH 971, fresh annual in 6/03, all AD's complied with and documented, good compression in cylinders 75/80 69/80 75/80 72/80, no metal found at last oil change, recent new parts include starter, starter clutch, tires, DG, windshield, battery and ELT battery 6/04. Cessna Nav/Com with VOR, Narco transponder with mode C, artificial horizon, DG, hobbs meter, compass, position lights, beacon, interior lighting and child seat stc. Good log books and AD list. Airplane needs nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Here are some pics too

b9_1.JPG

55_1.JPG

since you guys know alot more about airplanes than myself what is your take on it good deal or not? i'm gonna go see it tommorrow and talk to the owner. what should i be looking for and what type of questions should i ask him?

thanks

[ QUOTE ]
don't forget to get that tail inspected!
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong/goes wrong with the tails in 'em? Is there an AD or something? I fly 5 or so different ones...
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong/goes wrong with the tails in 'em? Is there an AD or something? I fly 5 or so different ones...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
FAA to request Cessna 150/152 tail inspections

Oct. 2 — First reported by the FAA in 2000, cracks in vertical fin attachments on Cessna 150 and 152 aircraft have become the subject of an additional warning from the agency. An airworthiness concern sheet issued in late September says cracks have been seen with increasing frequency in the past two years and the FAA expects to order mandatory inspections of all models made from 1966 to 1980. The original problem was most prevalent in 1978 Cessna 152s. The problem could result in the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces falling off. Only four cracks were reported in the 1970s, then six in the 1980s, and 12 in the 1990s. Just in the past three years another 12 cases of fin attachment cracks have been reported. Under the present proposal, owners would have to get the tail inspected in the next 100 hours and then every 1,000 hours thereafter.

This is from an article on aopa.org

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
FAA to request Cessna 150/152 tail inspections

Oct. 2 — First reported by the FAA in 2000, cracks in vertical fin attachments on Cessna 150 and 152 aircraft have become the subject of an additional warning from the agency. An airworthiness concern sheet issued in late September says cracks have been seen with increasing frequency in the past two years and the FAA expects to order mandatory inspections of all models made from 1966 to 1980. The original problem was most prevalent in 1978 Cessna 152s. The problem could result in the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces falling off. Only four cracks were reported in the 1970s, then six in the 1980s, and 12 in the 1990s. Just in the past three years another 12 cases of fin attachment cracks have been reported. Under the present proposal, owners would have to get the tail inspected in the next 100 hours and then every 1,000 hours thereafter.

This is from an article on aopa.org

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the inspection now mandatory?

yea... in the next 100hr and every 1,000 hrs after that!!

Manditory or not ( I'm 95% sure it's manditory since it's an AD ) I'd make sure it's done on the 152 i will fly in!!

Back