I'm 46 & Passed Inst. Written

amprecon

Just got my class II medical, passed Instrument written and am studying for the Commercial written.
I've been an aircraft mechanic since I was 19 starting in the USN in 1987. Got my A&P in 1999, Private in 2001, IA in 2004 and finished all of my Instrument except for the final check rides in 2003.
And here I am, 15 years later, still pursuing this thing, is it OCD or am I just crazy? I just can't put it down, just have this desire to keep chasing it.

Keep at it! I've been working on my instrument for a little over 2 years. Sometimes things take a while....

You're only one year older than me and I've been working on my CFI since 1992.
I'm still in the fight.
Sometimes I feel like the Chicago Cubs of aviation. "Next year".
Life happens, but you haven't failed until you quit.

Just passed Commercial Written last Tuesday........now what? I can't afford the flying part.

Just passed Commercial Written last Tuesday........now what? I can't afford the flying part.

How much time do you have? The actual flying and training portion of the commercial and CFI is way cheaper than the IA rating. If you're significantly below 250 hours, then I agree that can feel challenging at times... But there are ways to affordably build time.

I think I did Instrument ground in 2001, actually got around to finishing it in 2009. Was a CFI a year or so later. The best time is when you get it done.

Just finished multi-engine ground today, woohoo!
I have 101.1 total hours, all I needed was a checkride with school's chief instructor then faa checkride to complete the instrument.

Back