Veterans/Service Members wanting to fly

JDean3204

Just wanted to know how many users here used the GI Bill to chase the dream of flight? I have been getting many phone calls and emails lately from veterans and service members on advice in utilizing the benefits for flight training. From what I understand the benefits have changed in the last year or so, they no longer cover PPL and cover minimal time for an instrument rating. When I went through, benefits covered everything providing you finished the appropriate 141 syllabus within the budget allowed for that individual program.

Anyone currently using the benefits that could share in detail the changes that have happened? I know many read these threads looking for advice, but will not ask questions as they are mostly just observing what others write. So I thought I would start a thread for those readers to ingest others stories and advice!

My story :

Got out in 2012 and started flight training as soon as I moved back west. Finished PPL and instrument in year one. Took a little under two years to finish commercial due to weather and other external issues. Was enrolled in CFI classes but dropped those after ground as I found a 135 gig in order to build time. Now I am waiting for my class date for a 121 carrier. Total time to complete two year program was around 3 years and some change. I used 24-36 months of benefits. I plan on finishing off my benefits through Thomas Edison State College getting a four year online once finished with 121 training.

My advice :

Pick a good location weather wise, trying to build time VFR is the bulk of your commercial training, this can be tricky to do if the weather does not cooperate. Knock out all of the written exams as soon as possible, usually you will be taking a college course that will give you the tools in order to pass the exam. I waited a while to take my instrument written after passing ground, that did not work out great as I forgot a lot and had to re-study for a week straight in order to feel comfortable taking the exam. Finish all of the general credits along with your flight classes, this will help get the academics out of the way so you can get the degree as well as the ratings. Once you are finished with the two year program, find a university/college that will accept a good bulk of credits from your two year degree, this will minimize time and money spent on getting your four year ( which is needed to get past the regional level). If you are planning on working while in flight school, get a good paying part time job. I spent nights and weekends at Red Robin, the job sucked but the tips were good and allowed me to save up some extra money in case I ran out of funds. Do not get a job that eats too much time, remember what your goals are and everyday push forward towards YOUR career goal. Get to know people a few steps ahead of you or get to know professional pilots and pick their brains, networking is a valuable tool in aviation. Remember to pay it forward as well!

All in all, the post 9-11 GI bill was a great tool in getting my feet wet in this career. One thing to remember is that it won't always be easy, sometimes you will run out of funds and need to tie up loose ends with your own finances. Have a plan and a back up plan in case you hit a road block, but do not quit! I seen so many others just drop out of flight training for various reasons. Multiple friends of mine dropped out and sought after better paying jobs, now they are calling me asking me to help them get back into flying as they see me making steps forward in my career. You will have days or weeks where you question whether or not the sacrifice is worth it, but trust me it is!

Last edited:
Used MGIB for my Instrument (60/40) in 2007. Paid PPL out of pocket That was the easy part...basically ran out of money to fund commercial stuff, and then life happened, economy crashed, had a kid, kind of lost hope of ever flying for living. Then talk of Post 9-11 GI Bill started with flight training fully covered. My issue was I needed a school that had the flight "labs" rolled into the syllabus, so the Post 9-11 GI Bill would be cool with it. After a LOT of searching, I caught wind of an online school that was starting a program partnered with ATP. Thus the Mountain State University fiasco started. It took nearly a year of hurry up and wait before they got things off the ground so to speak, I was one of the few people who ever got the program to work for me. It was a pain, and basically I had to be the squeaky wheel every step of the way. Got my CMEL (@ 100 multi hours) and CSEL paid for 100%, but what a royal pain. MSU then lost their accredidation and that was it. Timing was pretty perfect actually, because I'm really glad I never got the chance to do my CFI with ATP through the MSU program. I'm not a huge fan of ATP, but since I went into the school with about 110 hours and a decent foundation, I did well. I saw plenty of 0 hour "fast track" students struggle because of how ATP is set up (no spoon feeding / CFI's in to build time then bail).

My advice once you find a school that fits and you can use your benefits, stay up to date on how they work, how you can maximize benefits, and above all, assume your paperwork never got submitted each month. You have to stay on top of it otherwise things fall through the cracks.

Back