IFR question.

Holocene

Just starting to read about it; hope to start training soon.

Anyway,

There are no marker beacons associated with a localizer backcourse approach???

Anyway,

I can't remember which ones, but I have seen a couple that do.

Remember this.

For almost every rule, there is at least one exception

There can be...IIRC it is white like the inner marker, but with a different morse code pattern. I'm sure someone will dig up a plate that has one.

*EDIT* Found one.
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0810/00710LBC24.PDF

And another...

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0810/00241LBC35L.PDF

Hey what site do you get your plates from? I use fltplan.com

And to the OP, to be honest I've never shot a LOC BC approach. Don't even know how to do one... well I mean I know that basic theory of it, but I don't even know if the avionics in the plane I fly will recognize the back course or if I just have to know that it is reverse sensing. I remember seeing BC with a light next to it on the face of the VOR in the old 152 I got my private in.

My school has a Jeppview subscription, so I mostly use that. However otherwise I go to naco.faa.gov and get the current NACOs straight from the source.

Anyway,

I cant give you the official answer but what I can say is...

If you look at the approach plate and it has one, and it isnt notam'd out, it has one :D If you look at the plate and it doesnt, it doesnt have one :D

I think people over complicate instrument flying. I know I did when I first started out.

And to the OP, to be honest I've never shot a LOC BC approach. Don't even know how to do one... well I mean I know that basic theory of it, but I don't even know if the avionics in the plane I fly will recognize the back course or if I just have to know that it is reverse sensing. I remember seeing BC with a light next to it on the face of the VOR in the old 152 I got my private in.

I believe an HSI eliminates reverse sensing, as long as the OBS is set to the front course.

I have never flown a plane with an HSI though.

Back