IFR Currency, did approaches at regional, current in Cessna?

Mattio

I'm trying to figure out if my approaches done in the Q make me IFR current in single engine, non-transport aircraft. The regs say you need the "66 HITS" in the appropriate category aircraft. It would seem that therefore, since the category of aircraft that I did the recent approaches in was transport, I'm not current but please correct me if I'm wrong. Here's a section from the FAR's on definitions of category:

(1) As used with respect to the certification, ratings, privileges, and limitations of airmen, means a broad classification of aircraft. Examples include: airplane; rotorcraft; glider; and lighter-than-air; and
(2) As used with respect to the certification of aircraft, means a grouping of aircraft based upon intended use or operating limitations. Examples include: transport, normal, utility, acrobatic, limited, restricted, and provisional.

Re: IFR Currency, did approaches at regional, current in Ces

1. For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought --<LI type=i>At least six instrument approaches; <LI type=i>Holding procedures; and
  2. Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.
The thing that trips me up is that it says "category of aircraft" not of airmen. Ahhh another gray area in the FAR's.

Q = Airplane.
Cessna = Airplane

i don't see the problem, they are both category airplane.

this would be like telling me approaches done in a twin don't count in a single, they are both airplanes. now if i had done some approaches in a Bell 206, well then i wouldn't meet the category requirements.

Category: Airplane
Class: Multi-engine Land
Type: Boeing 737

-mini

It deals with an pilot privilege, so it "catergory" as in certification of airmen, not "category" as in certification of aircraft.

The thing that trips me up is that it says "category of aircraft" not of airmen. Ahhh another gray area in the FAR's.

Your pilot's certificate reads....
Airline Transport Pilot
Airplane Multiengine Land
B-737

Commercial Privileges
Airplane Single Engine Land

English Proficient

Grade: Airline Transport Pilot
Category: Airplane
Class: Multiengine Land
Type: B-737

Not, as in aircraft certification.

Category: Normal, Utility, Transport, etc.

-mini

your SIM PC counts as an IPC also. But yes, your approaches in the Q count for instrument currency in a Cessna.

How do you do the circling approaches? Or are you talking about a Cat D sim? You can't really do an IPC in a FRASCA. You can get current but not really an IPC.

How do you do the circling approaches? Or are you talking about a Cat D sim? You can't really do an IPC in a FRASCA. You can get current but not really an IPC.
all 10 of our Frasca sims can be used for circling

the mentor can not but the sims can. i think our G1000 mentor can be but i am not sure on that. the Avidyne Mentor for sure cannot

Most airlines will be using a level C or better simulator. These sims are useable for an entire instrument rating checkride. I do a circling approach in the sim every year, and we only use a level C sim.

There are some frascas out there that qualify for circling approaches and approaches to landing, it all depends on the level of simulation they're certified for. The frasca you find at your local flight school probably wouldn't cut it for an IPC. You CAN do the 6 approaches, etc. etc. in 6 months in a frasca and be current and legal to fly IFR.

Back