IFR Currency, did approaches at regional, current in Cessna?

Re: IFR Currency, did approaches at regional, current in Ces

well, after looking at the PTS, i am not sure why they say they say we can do IPC's in the sims. the PTS Appendix makes it pretty clear that only level A or higher are approved.

i think i will ask next time the people who will know the answer are in the office.

i have never done an IPC for my own currency, i have either done the 6 approaches or just stayed current. but i have conducted IPC's for others.....things that make you go hmmmm

i think i will ask next time the people who will know the answer are in the office.

Ask for documentation. Our flight school management used to tell people that we could use our Frasca for night takeoff and landing currency, which did not match the wording of the actual letter we received from the FAA.

The guy at OK City in charge of all this stuff told me over the telephone that if approval were ever granted to a Frasca level device, it would have to pass through his desk and he didn't recall ever seeing one. When I told him that I understood that MEM FSDO had approved our ATD for circling approaches (which turned out to be false), he said he'd have someone call the FSDO and "clarify" the policy.

If you read the article in the link I posted, approving a Frasca type device for circling approaches does not seem in line with FAA policy at the time of writing.

Ask for documentation. Our flight school management used to tell people that we could use our Frasca for night takeoff and landing currency, which did not match the wording of the actual letter we received from the FAA.

The guy at OK City in charge of all this stuff told me over the telephone that if approval were ever granted to a Frasca level device, it would have to pass through his desk and he didn't recall ever seeing one. When I told him that I understood that MEM FSDO had approved our ATD for circling approaches (which turned out to be false), he said he'd have someone call the FSDO and "clarify" the policy.

If you read the article in the link I posted, approving a Frasca type device for circling approaches does not seem in line with FAA policy at the time of writing.
yup, i read it and i checked the PTS. i am going to ask.

Are you kidding me? A regional pilot who has an instrument rating has to ask this question. No wonder we get paid like crap...

LOL yea seriously... I think I'll take amtrak from now on thanks.. CFI much?.

Gulfstream?

LMAO! You read my mind! :D

Are you kidding me? A regional pilot who has an instrument rating has to ask this question. No wonder we get paid like crap...

Wow.... this is easily the craziest question I'd ever thought I'd hear from a pilot at a 121 carrier.

I hope they change the rules to make ATP a requirement for 121 ops...

I didn't think the question was that "out there" myself. I haven't flown a piston engine aircraft in a few years and I'm not sure I would have been 100% positive about the answer to that question without digging a bit. When it's one of those topics that you don't have to deal with regularly it tends to slip out of the short term memory bank.

I'd say cut him some slack 'cause I could see myself asking a similar question some day. When I do I'd kind of just like to get some clarification on the topic instead of a lecture about what I should or shouldn't have remembered from 15 years ago when I earned my IR.

:bandit:

I didn't think the question was that "out there" myself. I haven't flown a piston engine aircraft in a few years and I'm not sure I would have been 100% positive about the answer to that question without digging a bit. When it's one of those topics that you don't have to deal with regularly it tends to slip out of the short term memory bank.

I'd say cut him some slack 'cause I could see myself asking a similar question some day. When I do I'd kind of just like to get some clarification on the topic instead of a lecture about what I should or shouldn't have remembered from 15 years ago when I earned my IR.

:yeahthat:

The responses on here just make people afraid to ask.

Part 91 regs on IFR currency mention nothing about class or type--just ifr procedures to accomplish.

I don't know if the "higher PARTS" (that sounds really odd) have different regs.

b.

Are you serious? :drool: Have another:bandit:.

Are you serious? :drool: Have another:bandit:.
I think he's serious. After all landing currency is class and type specific. Why is it hard to believe that someone who doesn't deal with it regularly would think it were different for instrument currency?

Yep, I'm serious. I never think about the details of instrument currency anymore. I fly, and am current in, two type rated jets Part 135. I go to recurrent training every six months, alternating aircraft. I know that the training syllabus has us doing everything that we need to be instrument current for the next six months, so I don't have to think about what those requirements exactly are. For sure I don't think about what is required for Part 91 instrument currency and how those requirements match up to what I currently do.

oldman.gif

yup, i read it and i checked the PTS. i am going to ask.

You should also find out who on your end dealt with the FAA for certifying the FTD. When I was at ATP I was involved in re-certifying our level 3 FTD for use for a couple tasks in specific checkrides. After that was done the FSDO issued us a letter in writing explicitly telling us what we could use the FTD for.

I'd imagine there is a similar letter laying around somewhere detailing what the local FSDO has authorized your frasca for.

You should also find out who on your end dealt with the FAA for certifying the FTD. When I was at ATP I was involved in re-certifying our level 3 FTD for use for a couple tasks in specific checkrides. After that was done the FSDO issued us a letter in writing explicitly telling us what we could use the FTD for.

I'd imagine there is a similar letter laying around somewhere detailing what the local FSDO has authorized your frasca for.
i am assuming that as well. i know if they get moved even 6" they need to be recertified

I'd much rather have the pilot flying the plane that I'm in the back of be one that isn't afraid to ask a question rather than one that thinks he knows everything.

I'd much rather have the pilot flying the plane that I'm in the back of be one that isn't afraid to ask a question rather than one that thinks he knows everything.

I think everyone misses the point here. It's not a matter of asking the question, or not knowing the answer. Something as simple as this is a matter of opening up the FAR's and looking. IMHO, if you are that far removed from the basics of an instrument rating, you need a refresher course. I understand that you have to do a currency ride in a sim every few months, but simply pulling out the approach plate, and flying the approach, pushing the button on the auto pilot, and not worrying about being current because "my job handles that for me" is not going to be a very good excuse when the FAA has you in front of an NTSB hearing because you did something and can't drum up the correct answer(as stupid as it may seem). I am no super pilot, but I do know that I should open up the FAR's first before I ask a question. So, to make everyones life eaiser, I have done it.

61.57, Recent Flight Experince

(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:
(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought—
(i) At least six instrument approaches;
(ii) Holding procedures; and
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

1.1 General Definations

Category:
(1) As used with respect to the certification, ratings, privileges, and limitations of airmen, means a broad classification of aircraft. Examples include: airplane; rotorcraft; glider; and lighter-than-air; and
(2) As used with respect to the certification of aircraft, means a grouping of aircraft based upon intended use or operating limitations. Examples include: transport, normal, utility, acrobatic, limited, restricted, and provisional.

I did open up the FAR's before I asked the question. If you look at the question, you'll see that I referenced the FAR's. I thought I was current, but I was trying to cover my ass and throw it out there just in case my assumptions were wrong. Thanks for the help.

Back