IFOD - Feb 8?

Colgan probably will need people, but Memphis sucks. Armpit of this country.

I agree, Memphis is pretty miserable, but isn't Colgan's dispatch office currently located in Minneapolis after moving from VA not too long ago? I'm pretty sure FedEx and Pinnacle are the only peeps in MEM.

I agree, Memphis is pretty miserable, but isn't Colgan's dispatch office currently located in Minneapolis after moving from VA not too long ago? I'm pretty sure FedEx and Pinnacle are the only peeps in MEM.

Nope. Colgan is in the same complex now as Pinnacle.

Ha. I think a few members of the class experienced the inversion illusion the evening after passing their practical.

Now I'm going to Colgan for a Tuesday orientation. From what I hear, they're going to be needing people. I was pleased with IFOD. We had a nice, relaxed environment and we covered the run of what we needed to know pretty well. They're very willing to work with you for scheduling and making sure you know the information. I really like their tuition policy. Once you've paid tuition, it's good for life. That includes if you need to leave for personal reasons and return for a later class or if you just want refresher training. We didn't really have any hiccups in the class as the majority brought a good bit of aviation experience with them at the start. The only real dislike I had was that we didn't have the opportunity to go into more depth on some of the material, but 5 weeks start to finish doesn't leave a lot of time for the extra information. What we learned was kept strictly to what we need to be safe and legal.

Ultimately, I definitely recommend IFOD for training!

Congrats on your accomplishments. See, I tell everyone in this forum that IFOD is a good school. Everyone thinks they need more than just the basics. I'm sure you would agree with me that even the basics require alot of time and dedication. I hope you secure that job for Colgan. Don't let anyone thrash you about the Colgan crash either. That was 100% pilot error. If anyone has thinks otherwise, watch the PBS special regarding the Colgan crash. I forgot about the refresher courses. I may have to take advantage of that soon.

Don't let anyone thrash you about the Colgan crash either. That was 100% pilot error. If anyone has thinks otherwise, watch the PBS special regarding the Colgan crash.

We'll have to agree to disagree. There is always a chain of events linked to an aircraft accident. I thought the Frontline documentary did a pretty good job of illuminating that.

Hey Ohio and any other's -
It sounds like we might have been in a similar situation, and if you don't mind can ask you some question on IFOD..?

Hopefully you said yes... lol...

So here are my questions:
1. With your flying experience, how much of IFOD was a refresher course for you?
2. How much help do you think it would it be to buy a Gleim's ATP study guide and study it prior to attending IFOD?
3. How many potential jobs did IFOD lead you too, and did they offer any interview prep prior to your interview?

Thanks for the help
-Wes-

Hey Ohio and any other's -
It sounds like we might have been in a similar situation, and if you don't mind can ask you some question on IFOD..?

Hopefully you said yes... lol...

So here are my questions:
1. With your flying experience, how much of IFOD was a refresher course for you?
2. How much help do you think it would it be to buy a Gleim's ATP study guide and study it prior to attending IFOD?
3. How many potential jobs did IFOD lead you too, and did they offer any interview prep prior to your interview?

Thanks for the help
-Wes-
Wes...If you don't mind me adding to 2. above...
...I purchased and yesterday received Gleim's "ATP FAA Knowledge Test, 2010 Edition" (~$37 with shipping and tax).
2.B. Is this the correct book to use to prepare for iFOD?
2.C. Which sections (all???) of that book would be covered in the course?
Greatful for the forum's continued assistance....CluedIn in DFW area.

Hey guys,

Don't worry about getting any study materials prior to starting at IFOD. Your paid tuition includes books and the testing fees. When I went there, I came in with minimum knowledge in aviation, nothing else but the cash to pay for the course and a little extra to live on for a few weeks. I had to study my tail off, but I succeeded. So save all that you can so you can dedicated every minute to passing the written, oral and practical.

Hey guys,
Don't worry about getting any study materials prior to starting at IFOD. Your paid tuition includes books and the testing fees. When I went there, I came in with minimum knowledge in aviation, nothing else but the cash to pay for the course and a little extra to live on for a few weeks. I had to study my tail off, but I succeeded. So save all that you can so you can dedicated every minute to passing the written, oral and practical.
Thank you for the message, mission. And congrats on your success even going in green! That is a testimony at least to your hard work and studying.
Unfortunately, I can't not worry.
iFOD has agreed to let me visit their school; I am scheduled to do so in a few days!
So I hope to get their feedback on the book I bought, see how the classes are handled, experience the commute, etc.

I didn't go to IFOD, but I went to another school and work for a school right now. I would say that most of the ATP study guides are just about the same. Just a matter of what the school chooses to use for the course. Most use the Gleim book, but some choose to use the ASA book and software. Both have the exact same questions and answers. Only difference I see is the formulas to figure out the weight and balance questions is slightly different. Also, I think the ASA book has a little better text sections to read over to find the answer, but just a personal opinion.

I visited the iFOD school in the Dallas area this past week. It’s on a very comfortable, large campus just south of DFW, complete with open shaded courtyards, a swimming pool, good-sized fitness centers, Internet-connected computers, many study areas, hotel, large cafeteria, lots of free parking, etc. This is within a shared facility where many AMR staff pass through.

The iFOD staff member I met with explained how well connected to the industry iFOD is, and their outstanding placement assistance and record. This was no surprise to me, but it is indeed re-assuring.

iFOD uses the ASA book. I took my Gleim to show the staff member who advised me that I could certainly use Gleim to prepare in advance (my plan), but I should hold off on the chart sections as there are some nuances on those types of procedures, thus making it best to wait until the class. Of course, iFOD provides all study materials.

The classroom setting was quite relaxed. There were about a dozen students in the class taking their morning quiz. Attire looked comfortable. The room is available after class for studying.

I feel fortunate to have such a highly regarded school just a few minutes from my home, and can certainly understand why students from all over the country study here.

I visited the iFOD school in the Dallas area this past week. It’s on a very comfortable, large campus just south of DFW, complete with open shaded courtyards, a swimming pool, good-sized fitness centers, Internet-connected computers, many study areas, hotel, large cafeteria, lots of free parking, etc. This is within a shared facility where many AMR staff pass through.

The iFOD staff member I met with explained how well connected to the industry iFOD is, and their outstanding placement assistance and record. This was no surprise to me, but it is indeed re-assuring.

iFOD uses the ASA book. I took my Gleim to show the staff member who advised me that I could certainly use Gleim to prepare in advance (my plan), but I should hold off on the chart sections as there are some nuances on those types of procedures, thus making it best to wait until the class. Of course, iFOD provides all study materials.

The classroom setting was quite relaxed. There were about a dozen students in the class taking their morning quiz. Attire looked comfortable. The room is available after class for studying.

I feel fortunate to have such a highly regarded school just a few minutes from my home, and can certainly understand why students from all over the country study here.

When are you planning on starting at iFOD? I think I will be starting there sometime this summer... my plans as of now are not finalized, but hopefully they will be shortly.

When are you planning on starting at iFOD? I think I will be starting there sometime this summer... my plans as of now are not finalized, but hopefully they will be shortly.

Either August 2010 or Jan 2011 is the current plan.
Got some travelling to do Sep/Oct/Nov.

I missed being at IFOD. I was going thru a transition from military life to civilian life, spent all my savings for tuition and two weeks of housing at the studio extended stay in North Richland Hills, Texas. Thats about 12 miles south of the AMR training facility. Luckily my wife was able to snatch some temporary work to keep us financially afloat.

It was alot of fun, being in Dallas/Fort Worth and in class.

Back