IFOD - Feb 8?

OhioStatePilot

I'm going to be in Dallas for the five week IFOD Dispatch course starting on the 8th. Any other JC'ers going to be in the class?

I'm going to be in Dallas for the five week IFOD Dispatch course starting on the 8th. Any other JC'ers going to be in the class?

I went to IFOD back in June 2008. They're going to teach you the basics an how to pass the written, oral and practical and thats all. Most people on here want to learn high-speed computer systems when they're looking for a dispatch school. You'll get that once you get hired with an airline. I just though I would let you know that just in case you'll looking for something more than the basics.

Hey, thanks for the advice! I actually spoke with Mark about that. Their perspective makes a lot of sense when considering the fact that different airlines are using different software systems and a fresh dispatcher is going to be trained on that by the specific airline anyway. I'm ok with that. In a way, it seems like learning on a 6 pack and then transitioning to a glass cockpit when required.

Do you have any tips for the program?

Hey, thanks for the advice! I actually spoke with Mark about that. Their perspective makes a lot of sense when considering the fact that different airlines are using different software systems and a fresh dispatcher is going to be trained on that by the specific airline anyway. I'm ok with that. In a way, it seems like learning on a 6 pack and then transitioning to a glass cockpit when required.

Do you have any tips for the program?

I'm sure that airlines operate with different systems. When you get hired, you'll receive indoctrination training (Indoc), differences training, then start learning the desk. Lots of folks want to learn high speed systems right off the bat. But it won't be learning those systems that going to pass you in the written, oral and practical. FAA examiners are old school.

OhioStatePilot, how's your first few days of training? Any initial thoughts?

Dangit, the wireless dropped and sent me back to the log-on page and lost my post! Here we go again...

So far it's pretty good! Blaine, the instructor, is pretty cool and all of the staff is really friendly and helpful. So far we've covered regs and we're just finishing up the weather products for the written prep. It's a bit slow right now from my perspective, but I also have an AGI/IGI. We do have an extremely diverse class with experience ranging all the way down to brand new to aviation, so I can understand the pace. We've got students from as far away as New Zealand, Italy, India, and the UK.

One thing I thought was very interesting is that the tuition is good for life. If anything comes up and you have to leave, you're welcome to return to a later class for no additional cost. Also, we were invited back for refresher training any time we wanted for no additional cost. As Mark, another instructor, said, the tuition is good for life.

If you've got any specific questions, feel free to let me know. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my school choice!

Funny. Blaine was my classmate. Good to know he's still there. I was offered a teaching job there but turned it down because I wanted to get experience first. Blaine's a good guy and so is IFOD.

Funny. Blaine was my classmate. Good to know he's still there. I was offered a teaching job there but turned it down because I wanted to get experience first. Blaine's a good guy and so is IFOD.

Hah, what a small world! Blaine was saying that back when y'all were in class, Kash taught it himself. So far we haven't had the opportunity to meet him because of his Haitian airline, but I've heard he's a real character. I'm still happy with IFOD and our class group is great. Want me to say "Hi" to Blaine for you?

OhioStatePilot,

I am a furloughed pilot looking into a dispatch career but curious about what the folks at IFOD are saying concerning the current and future job opportunities for dispatchers. Are students getting dispatch jobs after training in this economy?

Also I noticed IFOD has a 2 week accelerated course so do you feel this would be sufficient for a person with aviation experience or would it be worth investing an extra 2K for the 5 week course? I'm planning to take the written before attending classes.

Thanks in advance!

Flyinghigh,

Well, at IFOD they've said that there are still lots of places looking for dispatchers. At the moment, there aren't the group opportunities where one airline would need 10 or 15 new dispatchers, but there seem to be places still bringing on new dispatchers in groups of one or two. I was told that their 2009 hire rate was 100%, but it's too early to tell for 2010.

Regarding the accelerated course, I tried to get involved with that, but I only have a PPL and AGI/IGI. The minimum requirements for the 2 week course is a CPL according to the FAA (from what IFOD said). You would have to take the ADX written prior to attending, but I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with the information or passing the test, especially after operating in a 121 environment. In the 5 week course, the first 3 weeks are for the ADX and the last 2 are practical preparation. From that perspective, I'd study for the ADX and get that out of the way, then go to the 2 week course for the practical. I'm not sure I'd recommend the 1 week course, but I'm not sure what it entails.

Feel free to give them a call. Mark and Blaine are the main instructors there and they're more than happy to answer all sorts of questions and help you make the decision!

Just out of curiosity, are they just teaching you to prepare for the written test and going over the ATP questions, or do they have a general lesson plan for each day and give classroom instruction? I am just curious how others prepare for the ADX test?

Three weeks are prep for the written test via the ATP questions. Then the last two weeks are hands on preparing for the practical test with the examiner.

There's a method to the madness though. There is a particular order of study with certain subject matter on a particular day, but considering the wide variety of backgrounds the students come from, 5 weeks is a very short time to get everyone caught up on the full understanding of things that dispatchers don't really need to know, but will encounter on the test. Just for example, I can't imagine when a dispatcher will need to know about the Coriolis illusion or somatogravic illusion in IFR flying, but it's on our test. However if any actual dispatchers out there can say otherwise, please chime in!

Hah, what a small world! Blaine was saying that back when y'all were in class, Kash taught it himself. So far we haven't had the opportunity to meet him because of his Haitian airline, but I've heard he's a real character. I'm still happy with IFOD and our class group is great. Want me to say "Hi" to Blaine for you?

Yeah, Please do so. Its also funny that you mentioned Kash's Haitian airline. He was finalizing the paperwork when I attended. I'm sure that the earthquake either made the airline or broke it. But only time will tell.

Ask him if he has heard from Malcom? That was another classmate of our that went overseas for awhile to work for Luftansa in route planning. Thanks for passing the message.

Passed the practical today! Now tomorrow I go in to do the ETOPS computer training and I'm done. I passed on that you said "hi", but completely forgot to ask if he's heard from Malcom. If I can unclutter my head at this point, I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow!

Just for example, I can't imagine when a dispatcher will need to know about the Coriolis illusion or somatogravic illusion in IFR flying, but it's on our test. However if any actual dispatchers out there can say otherwise, please chime in!

Aren't those the things one sees after having a night of heavy drinking?

Just asking, as I swear I have seen them.

Aren't those the things one sees after having a night of heavy drinking?

Just asking, as I swear I have seen them.

No, that's more like then leans then the bends.

Passed the practical today! Now tomorrow I go in to do the ETOPS computer training and I'm done. I passed on that you said "hi", but completely forgot to ask if he's heard from Malcom. If I can unclutter my head at this point, I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow!

Congratulations! What is the next step for you, and what were your overall impressions of IFOD? Likes/Dislikes/ultimate recommendation?

Ha. I think a few members of the class experienced the inversion illusion the evening after passing their practical.

Now I'm going to Colgan for a Tuesday orientation. From what I hear, they're going to be needing people. I was pleased with IFOD. We had a nice, relaxed environment and we covered the run of what we needed to know pretty well. They're very willing to work with you for scheduling and making sure you know the information. I really like their tuition policy. Once you've paid tuition, it's good for life. That includes if you need to leave for personal reasons and return for a later class or if you just want refresher training. We didn't really have any hiccups in the class as the majority brought a good bit of aviation experience with them at the start. The only real dislike I had was that we didn't have the opportunity to go into more depth on some of the material, but 5 weeks start to finish doesn't leave a lot of time for the extra information. What we learned was kept strictly to what we need to be safe and legal.

Ultimately, I definitely recommend IFOD for training!

Ha. I think a few members of the class experienced the inversion illusion the evening after passing their practical.

Now I'm going to Colgan for a Tuesday orientation. From what I hear, they're going to be needing people. I was pleased with IFOD. We had a nice, relaxed environment and we covered the run of what we needed to know pretty well. They're very willing to work with you for scheduling and making sure you know the information. I really like their tuition policy. Once you've paid tuition, it's good for life. That includes if you need to leave for personal reasons and return for a later class or if you just want refresher training. We didn't really have any hiccups in the class as the majority brought a good bit of aviation experience with them at the start. The only real dislike I had was that we didn't have the opportunity to go into more depth on some of the material, but 5 weeks start to finish doesn't leave a lot of time for the extra information. What we learned was kept strictly to what we need to be safe and legal.

Ultimately, I definitely recommend IFOD for training!

Colgan probably will need people, but Memphis sucks. Armpit of this country.

Back