If you couldn't be a professional pilot...what would you do?

BoDEAN

If you couldn\'t be a professional pilot...what would you do?

Read an interesting article by someone recently, on what one would do "in the aviation field" if he/she couldn't become a commercial pilot. Wondering whats you take on this? ATC? FAA inspector?
What would you do (remember, in the aviation field as a full time career).

Re: If you couldn\'t be a professional pilot...what would you do?

If I didn't become a pilot, I thought about either medicine or computer programming.

Medicine involved dealing with sick people, and work visas pretty much destroyed the domestic computer programming industry.

Cult leader? I dunno.

A&P Mechanic...I've always enjoyed fixing things. I'm almost finished with my "A" so I really will have it to fall back on soon I hope.

Edit:

Actually, now that I think about it. I think I would stay the hell away from aviation. Maybe go be a skydiving instructor/vidiot or something.

Buy and old hanger, and convert it to a topless bar!
smirk.gif

Kick the neighbor's dog ...

then run like hell.

Dispatcher

I'm having fun playing ATC with my students in the sim, but I think I'm above (or very close to) the FAA's maximum age for ATC training.

I would probably end up starting my own flight school and give others the chance to pursure their dreams. I also think that working with marketing or promotions for airshows, or the performers would be a lot of fun. And honestly if I had the money, I would buy as many acres of land as I could, put in a runway and a grass strip and develop a fly-in community. I've seen two fly-in communities start from scratch, and they are doing quite well! Plenty of money in that business. The non-flying side of the industry is where I am beginning to lean, so maybe one of these will happen
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Cult leader? I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this already a cult? All hail Doug... all hail Doug.
tongue.gif

Though I'm not a professional pilot, I'm with EatSleepFly. After my first jump, I was really impressed that the instructor did this for a living (atleast part time) and he explained his situation to me perfectly: "Sure beats working for a living"

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this already a cult? All hail Doug... all hail Doug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Su, uh ... who's bringing the Nike tennis shoes and the purple-cloth triangles?

[ QUOTE ]
Pro Golfer......

[/ QUOTE ]

I still want to do this. If that doesn't work out, I know a couple guys on tour. Give them a few years, they will be able to afford their own airplane that I'll gladly fly them around in.

[ QUOTE ]
purple-cloth triangles

[/ QUOTE ]

So.....what you're saying is that you want to be like the Glassmen? You sure about that?

My guess is only like 2 people will get that. BLOOOOO!

But if I had to be something else and I had to make the choice while I was still young I would go into being an air traffic controller. It looks interesting and would keep me into aviation. If I am too old by the time I'd need to be to get into being an ATCer, I'm not sure where I'd go. Maybe aviation law? Prossibly dispatch? Maybe teach at Western Michigan in their aviation program?

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Aviation photography!

I think my backups to a pilot career are to do something with the weather as that was my area of study at CU-Boulder, Teacher, and detective could be fun too?

And if all that fails I will settle for being Preperation H. Raymond's sidekick from the Conan O'brian show! Could be fun!?!

Right now I am not looking to be a pilot - however the prospect of being The British Prime Minister is quite appealing. I am looking into this to see its feasibility - so far so good.

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is only like 2 people will get that. BLOOOOO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were the dudes in Rancho Santa Fe, right?

[ QUOTE ]
Those were the dudes in Rancho Santa Fe, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... that was so freaky.

Back